• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sea Urchins need i say more, What to do if you tread on one.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sure many of you have come across them while out boating and give them a wide birth but for any of you who have had the misfortune to have trodden on one will remember just how painful there poison can be and also remember how impossible it can be to put any weight on your foot after the damage has been done, Well around the Coral reefs over here in Thailand we see many especially when snorkeling but not on the normal sandy beaches, Here's what we use over here in Thailand and i can speak from experience as it happened to a friend of mine while out one day, Neat Lime juice and an empty glass bottle that's all that's needed, Support the foot that has been injured and apply a generous amount of lime juice to the wounds then gently beat around the wound with the glass bottle the lime juice dissolves the poison and you will see it coming out of the wounds when the pressure is applied around the wound keep applying it until the poison has come out, It may be uncomfortable but it works you may have a sore foot for a couple of days but saves a hospital trip, I always keep a bottle of lime juice and an empty glass bottle on the boat as if it ever happens it can ruin a good day out.

IMG_2472.JPG IMG_3652.JPG

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Damn, We have plenty of urchins here but they don't have spikes like that. I've stepped on them and the spines break off in your foot but I didn't notice any poison affects. Just pain like you have a splinter until you dig them out.
These are the only ones I've seen here.

Be careful man. That would really suck.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Exactly and the little s o b's attach small sea shells to their spines to hide under the shells along the beach shallow waters where everyone walks, needless to say water shoes are a must for those and our favorite Florida plant the sand spur. I repurposed some simple utensils and we keep them with us when we walk on any of the gulf beaches as super sand spur removal tools. a regular fork even a heavy duty plastic fork works

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn, We have plenty of urchins here but they don't have spikes like that. I've stepped on them and the spines break off in your foot but I didn't notice any poison affects. Just pain like you have a splinter until you dig them out.
These are the only ones I've seen here.

Be careful man. That would really suck.

Yes there nasty sods, The spines break off the same as yours do and the lime juice seems to ease the pain and the spines come out with gentle pressure from the bottle, They only seem to hang around the Coral reefs and leave the sandy beaches alone which is a good thing.