• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seadek and Tower Removal\Prep

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well with a great weather day yesterday my off-season additions started. I have got an install date of March 10 for my new tower.

I am going with the Freeride tower by Aerial. I am getting the massive 7ft bimini. I am also having the navigation light installed and my JL tower speakers moved over to the new tower, plus a new double wakeboard\kneeboard rack installed..

To start off i had to remove the stock tower and then installed my new seadek. Here are a few pics!

Tower is gone!

Holes!

Stock Swim Platform pad removed

Seadek installed!

Not happy to have a couple bubbles in the seadek but turned out pretty good otherwise.

Just waiting until March 10 for the tower and bimini now!

Last edited:

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The pics didn't show up for me, but just wondering why you are swapping the tower? Just personal preference?

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Weird! Anyone else have issues seeing the pictures?

I am swapping towers because the stock tower had all kinds of issues like way too much lateral movement. The more things you added to the tower the worse the shaking got. The gaskets that are between the tower and hull kept moving and tearing and scratched the fiberglass. Also the new tower is just a better tower overall. The diameter of the tube used is much bigger and the bimini is just huge.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cannot view the pics either. Both Chrome and Edge.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep, no pics.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any change now? This is really weird...i have added pics before with no issues.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good to go now

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, I can see them too.

The hex bolts to remove the tower--were they 1/2" bolts? The hex key in the toolkit that came with my boat does not fit them. :depressed:

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We couldn't find a standard size so we were very careful and used I think a 12mm if memory serves correctly. The odd thing was each bolt seemed just a little different size...strange.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No, we're talking. Pictures are showing up. Looking forward to the new tower pics!

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Tower install date just got moved up! Wahoo March 7th now. Wait its not even warm enough to use it once its installed. UGH!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I hear Homer Simpson saying, 'Doh!'

But it will feel great to have it on there, even so.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
What's your plan for the holes from the old tower? I assume the front ones at least won't be covered by the new tower. Nice job on the seadek! I hope to see it at Shelbyville this year!

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I plan on having all of the holes patched and painted. Its a bit expensive to do all of this but that stock tower was terrible and nothing but problems.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I plan on having all of the holes patched and painted. Its a bit expensive to do all of this but that stock tower was terrible and nothing but problems.
Looks like a great place for a decal. ;)

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well with a great weather day yesterday my off-season additions started. I have got an install date of March 10 for my new tower.

I am going with the Freeride tower by Aerial. I am getting the massive 7ft bimini. I am also having the navigation light installed and my JL tower speakers moved over to the new tower, plus a new double wakeboard\kneeboard rack installed..

To start off i had to remove the stock tower and then installed my new seadek. Here are a few pics!
Good luck with your install! Just a heads up, there will be no installation instructions...go online and make a few copies so anyone helping you can have their own copy to look at instead of peering over your shoulder trying to understand what you're saying. Personal experience there.

Can't wait to install my Bimini as well and the 2 set of tower speakers...let me know how your bimini install goes?

PS. If you feel the need for help during your install, PM me and I'd be willing to give you my # to help...it was only a few months ago that I did mine.

PPS. Make sure you use some sort of backing plate!

PPPS. Measure 5 times and drill once and you're golden!

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Noted!! Actually I am having professionals install my whole setup. Its a little expense but i really didnt feel comfortable doing it all myself. I have drilled a few holes in my boat but not this time!

I did speak with the installers and they spoke to the aerial owner and he said they were fixing the issues around not getting parts in a timely manner. Apparently they indicated to the installers that everything will come in by end of this week.

On the backing they really build up the support especially for this tower. They indicated its a very heavy tower and since our fiberglass is thinner than most they make sure and spread the load around a good area.

I am also having them move the tower down a little so its not so tall. My other thought is i want to make sure i can collapse the tower so that may change the mounting location too.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ahhh professionals....you're taking all the fun out of it lol!

Any chance you'll be available when they're installing it? I only suggest that so you can eyeball at least the mounting location so that you can achieve all that you want out of the tower...

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes sir! They are coming to my house and since i work from home its pretty convienient!

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ahhh nice! Verrrry convenient! Good deal. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the new tower. I only used mine twice before I put it into storage...not nearly enough.

Ps. From your original post you had said about the navi light getting installed...you do know that the Freeride comes with a navi light?