• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sealing New Steering Cable

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For those who have replaced the steering cable? How in the hell did you get sealer inside the inner transom area? This is a really tight fit. Don't know how I'm getting a caulking gun in there for my tube of 4200...1000011449.jpg

This is as good as I can get in there1000011450.jpg

Attachments

• 1000011450.jpg
    1000011450.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 1
That will work. I just used my hand and put it on my fingers and ran it around and smoothed it. Clean off your hands right away. In your picture I would get some on your fingers and make sure it is around the back there.

That will work. I just used my hand and put it on my fingers and ran it around and smoothed it. Clean off your hands right away. In your picture I would get some on your fingers and make sure it is around the back there.
I did that with some gloves on. I'll do some more

Is it better to use 4200 or Marine Silicone to seal things up? My friend says 4200 will be too difficult to remove if I need to do the cables again.

Also does any sealant go on the outside?

I would say marine silicone for the same reason your friend said. 4200 is a pain to remove when dry.

I would say marine silicone for the same reason your friend said. 4200 is a pain to remove when dry.

Thanks!

Considering that some people have reported having to do this replacement more than once, I think it’s strange that people recommend 4200 if it’s a bitch to remove.

Thanks!

Considering that some people have reported having to do this replacement more than once, I think it’s strange that people recommend 4200 if it’s a bitch to remove.
I agree, I think the people who are recommending 4200 or 5200 obviously have not had to replace there's a 2nd time yet

Anti-Bond works WONDERS in removing 4200 and 5200. You just need to tape off the areas you don't want it to come into contact with. You can get it from here: Anti-Bond 2015. It says it now doesn't affect gelcoat, but I'd still tape the area off you don't want affected.

It isn't cheap though.

Last edited:
Is it better to use 4200 or Marine Silicone to seal things up? My friend says 4200 will be too difficult to remove if I need to do the cables again.

Also does any sealant go on the outside?
I used marine silicone also. I did use it on the inside (with my fingers) and outside. I was sure happy I didn’t use 4200 or 5200 when I had to replace them again last year. It’s a big enough pain in the ass to get the silicone off, I can’t imagine anything harder.

4200 is what most use including myself and I have done a many. Debond works great and I have removed 4200 before. It isn't as tough as people allude to remove.

I never use 4200 or 5200 for anything that might have to be removed and replaced. With steering and reverse cables yamaha used cheap clear silicone not marine adhesive. 4200 and 5200 is an adhesive sealer. Recommended for permanent bonds because of the pain in the ass to remove it.
Anything that might have to be replaced or removed always use a quality silicone. It will do its job and will be easy to clean up.
I have an over abundance of FIPG which is Toyota black automotive gasket silicone. Its never let me down.
I sealed a leaking wood stove roof cap that always leaked down the flu with it. After 10 years of weather and extreme heat it never leaked so i am convinced its my go to silicone sealer.

Back