• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Second Bilge Pump - What do you suggest?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking about adding a second bilge pump while I have the bilge open.

What do you suggest?

This is something like the one I have (but haven't installed yet):

upload_2014-5-12_12-42-54.png

I like the idea of a manual pump as backup. If everything goes to heck electrically, you can still get the water out.

Yet another "shelved" project.

@Bruce I am adding another Rule bilge pump as a backup, same size as the factory but with a float switch instead of being automatic. The float switched bilge pump will we powered directly from the battery, before my battery switch. My plan is if I can find a wye fitting, the backup bilge will discharge through the same hull fitting as the factory pump.

The Rule I am going to install is 1100 gph model 27D non-automatic with a Rule 35A Float switch.

I added another one identical to the Rule 500gph that came with the boat. I istalled it right in front of the transducer.

If you are going to replace i recommend Andy's setup.

If you are just adding another consider rules automatic 500 gph model. It's a drop in replacement and has a third lead so that you can control the pump manually as well. I just put two of these in my waverunners and will put one in my boat next year. I prefer these over the bigger pumps because I don't have to wait for or hope the auto function on the pump is working.

Gonna get tired running those manual pumps but they are nice for cleaning water out of your engine bay and ski locker.
I too will be installing a "peace of mind" pump when I replace my scupper. I'm thinking of a Rule 1100GPH or more for the off chance I get a hull breach or an exhaust line slips off. Just be sure to loop the hose as high as you can above your exit hole so that you cant take on water through the outlet when you are weighted with the water you're trying to pump out.

Gonna get tired running those manual pumps but they are nice for cleaning water out of your engine bay and ski locker.

With 6 on board we can take turns, plus fear is a great motivator! ;)

I can't speak for Glassman's pump, but the Whale pumps are designed to minimize fatigue when operated at their rated capacity. 9.2 GPM is 552 GPH. So you're getting a decent pump that you can run for a LONG time with absolutely no reliance on a power source other than our hands - just don't lose the dang handle!! :winkingthumbsup"

I may still add another electric pump, but I want my back-up to my back-up to be human powered.

I replaced the stock pump with a Rule 750A with automatic float. I wired it to the battery (fused) so it is always on even when the battery switches are off. I do not need to remember to turn the bilge switch on when on the water. I can now use the bilge switch to manually cycle the pump. When the pump is running via the float the switch LED comes on which has alerted me to a water situation.

For my 230 I upgraded the stock pump to an 1100 GPH, which meant a bigger hose and a larger thru hull fitting. I bought the 500 GPH Secondary Bilge Pump Kit from ----> http://islandracing.net/212230232.html
I put it just in front of the scupper right under the baffle for the starboard engine. I had to removed the starboard baffle to do the install but it was pretty easy just time consuming. I wired it directly to the house battery.

For a true back up pump, you should fit it with its own discharge hose and thru hull fitting. You lose the benefit of the double pump capacity when it is then restricted down to a single hose. If you do all that work, go the little bit of extra work and port the pump with its own hose.

For a true back up pump, you should fit it with its own discharge hose and thru hull fitting. You lose the benefit of the double pump capacity when it is then restricted down to a single hose. If you do all that work, go the little bit of extra work and port the pump with its own hose.

Drilling that hole isn't as bad as you think it is either. A good hole saw and some good masking tape (3M Blue is what I used). Make sure there is nothing behind it though!

Yep, agreed! The kit comes with everything you need. I placed my second thru hull fitting right next to the stock one.

I was thinking of putting my exit hole for my second bilge on the opposite side of the first bilge hole so I can easily tell which one is running. Any downside to doing this?

None, other than it possibly turning on while you are refueling on the water. I'd keep a healthy distance from the fuel cap.

I was thinking of putting my exit hole for my second bilge on the opposite side of the first bilge hole so I can easily tell which one is running. Any downside to doing this?
Good point -but- if your stock bilge is still on the stock switch and it's off, then you'll know. You should promptly turn the main bilge at this point. I found most of the time when the second bilge would spit water, I'd switch the main bilge on, and nothing but the second would still pump water. Now, getting caught in a heavy rain storm trying to get back to the Marina was different story! It's amazing how fast water accumulates in the boat.

I don't think you'd be able to see it running if it was on the port side, at least while underway.

I don't think you'd be able to see it running if it was on the port side, at least while underway.
Yep that's true. Seems like an LED switch at the dash is the way to go. I'm probably going to add a switch panel and will wire it at some point. So many mods to do so little time.....

Back