• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seeking suggestions for patching a mooring cover

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When we arrived home from Bimini we discovered a tear in our mooring cover running side to side over the bimini poles. I want to repair it for the trip to Shelbyville.

My current plan is to take the covers bag which appears to be made of the same material and glue it on as a patch. I do not expect this to be a long term fix but it would be great if it held up for the 1,200 mile trip.

Is a needle and thread out of the question? Too big of an area?

I repaired a cover twice. The first time I took it to an alterations place - like a tailor. They did a decent job. They used denim, because it was tuff. The second time was hand stitched by someone I know. The denim patch held for about a year. The second patch only held a month or so.

My advice, assuming you plan on keeping the boat for a while is to begin shopping for a new cover and get one pretty quick. Fix the one you have. Then, once your old cover goes kaput, you will have a new one ready to go.

I did not see the tear but I will soon. Rana says it is much of the width of the boat. I was expecting to need a new cover soon. I just want to patch it long enough to get to Shelbyville and back.

After I had two patches, as a word to the wise, just be prepared for the cover to disintegrate en-route. That is what happened to me. I was en-route 1 hour from my destination and 1 hour from my house. No stores, etc around. I had to make do and just be vigilant that seats didn't start flying off.

My cover just exploded a couple of days ago. It was 7 years old. Couldnt handle the 130kmh forward speed with the 100kmh head/side wind. I was expecting to replace it this fall. Too bad I spent $120 waterproofing it two weeks ago. You can sew the cover with a std sewing machine. I might buy a chunk of sunbrella and repair this as a spare over the winter. Yamaha sports plaza has the best price so far. Cam.

Is it the Premium Cover or just the Grey Cover? I patched a hole in my premium cover using the exact same fabric from sailrite.com w/ the exact thread. I learned how to sew over the course of a couple of days and fixed it my self. It was only small tear. I think 3". I patched it with a square patch. Looked very good.

I just got my new cover from Yamaha Sports Plaza about a month or so ago...they had the best price I could find as well.

Gorilla tape it for the trip?:-)

Glues are tricky on old fabric. I don't think the glued patch will hold up to a highway trip; it needs to be stitched. If you are set on gluing, I would glue to the inside as it is probably in better shape. It may not be as waterproof but will likely hold better.

It is an blue Yamaha mooring cover that I am guessing is close to 8 years old. So no regrets on it tearing but the logistics are not good on replacing it before Thursday. So I am going to attempt a repair.

I would just buy a new one, you don't want the thing to shred while your far away from home.

After looking at the cover glue and or duct tape is not going to cure this one!

image.jpg

Yeah...I think you need a magic wand for that cover.

WOW, I wasn't imagining that...LOL

I'm wondering if you were serious about fixing that? lol

Until I saw the pic I was going to suggest iron on denim patches or tear aid. After seeing the pic I'm thinking replace not repair.

Still, if the now section is intact it may make a good bow cover/bra while trailering.

Last edited:
Well, on second thought - new cover!! I think @buckbuck used parts of his old cover that shredded like yours Bruce to make a bag out of.

Well, since your desperate for a quick fix, I would take it to your local upholstery shop and have them sew in some material. Would not cost that much and better than no cover at all.

Back