• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Selling boats: why is this?

Here's a thought Casey. Since Dallas is in the middle of its summer boat show, if you want it sold and not mess with the whole ordeal, bring it down to Phil Dill and let them sell it. You know they are going to have a lot of traffic in their showroom in the coming weeks and people are going to be hungry for a new toy. You may loss a little, but it should sell rather quickly.

Or you could use it to wheel and deal with a pool builder. That's a great idea if you can find the right builder that you like to work with and wants your boat.

we dont need to go there, as everyone knows, Toby has moved to service and the "used/consignment" is on something at work that he should'nt be on... They offered me 40,000 and if they sold it for 55 they keep 15000.. so, no I will not be taking it there... When toby moved on I am not sure what happened....

Wow, I didn't think this would bring so many suggestions and comments.. :)

Yes, that is my stereo thread :) I have added alot more.. Here are some more puctures I took last weekend.. https://www.flickr.com/photos/95000743@N08/sets/72157641725536014/

I will be putting an ad up this weekend as there are alot of things I need to compile and get into the ad... Thank you all for this..

Casey

@Cowboy Casey , I'd bet you have this covered but as a potential buyer if I saw 500 lbs in ballast batteries on the ad I would be wondering how I'm supposed to maintain those batteries.

Also, I considered trading in my 230 at my local yamaha dealer before I upgraded to a 242 and got the same / similar treatment as you did. That is, 1) "It will be harder to sell your boat because of all the customization." 2) "It has a buds (similar to nada and knb I'm told) value of $21k which is the minimum we would take for it. We would pay you $15k for it and keep the difference." It was a very polite way of confirming they were going to screw me, I passed and sold it privately via craigslist for my asking price or very close to it at the end of the boating season that year.

Good luck with your sale, I think there is a buyer out there willing to pay your price, finding him (or her) is the tricky part but you may as well use all the avenues available to you, especially the free ones like this site, craigslist and even YJB.

@Cowboy Casey , I'd bet you have this covered but as a potential buyer if I saw 500 lbs in ballast batteries on the ad I would be wondering how I'm supposed to maintain those batteries.

I have 2 12 AMP dual chargers that can charge all those batteries overnight.. :) I can charge all 6 during the winter months with a quick disconnect on 1 set of batteries that go to the house and engine batteries... gotta have backup's.. :D ohhh, and a 30 AMP 100 foot extension cord with a hull passthrough....

Last edited:
I knew you had it covered but recommend that you include such information on the ad, if it isn't already (for those that read the entire thing which they should for this kind of money).

This is not really that complicated. If you are worried about what people may say in response to your posting....dont advertise it here! It is that simple. The governing board should not regulate peoples opinions...is that not why we all moved over here anyway? If you are selling something do you really care if someone says you are asking too high a price? It is no different if someone says wow...thats a great deal! It is mearly there opinion it does not get it sold

You make an excellent point @xoomer , It's nice to get feedback from people who's opinion you trust. High or low, I'd want to know what others thought simply from a pricing standpoint so I can price something according to my needs. If I need to move something to get it out of my garage, I'll take that into consideration and price it accordingly. If I think something has a specific value and I have plenty of time to sell it, then it gets the price I want to accept for it.

Having stated that, I do know that there is always that one guy in the crowd.......

Reminds me of the other night watching the MLB All Star game....Jeter was up to bat to start the game and some fool yells out "OVER RATED"....well, if you watched the game you know that a second later Jeter belts a double to the right field corner! I would have loved to have been there just to hear the crowd tell that guy to STFU! :D

It is poor form to comment on someone's asking price. Period.
I don't see it that way. When I make a comment about boat pricing I'm trying to help the seller. I encourage them to take a look at the market. I know we all want our used things to be worth more - they certainly have more value in our minds than the market thinks most of the time. It's a time saver to price your boat closer to the market. Most people expect to bargain the price down a bit so we tend to set our asking price a bit high. But too high is too high. If the market thinks $20-24K is a good range and a seller is asking $28K I think this forum is doing them a service to help them out and give them information.

You can certainly provide a bit of input without being nasty about it or trashing anybody. It's just assistance if done in the right spirit. Many times people are ready to sell their boat and want to know if their asking price is reasonable; they are requesting input from the forum members.

I just sold our 1997 Honda Civic for $2,500 and it made me sick to do it. To me it was worth $4,000 easy. It looked more like a 2 year old car than a 17 year old car. It had 109K miles on it - not much for a 17 year old car and certainly not much for a Honda Civic. It was polished and shiny with no dents. It still has the original floor mats. It was garaged for 12 of those 17 years and covered when not garaged. It had a $1,500 stereo, mag wheels, and low profile tires. Really it was in tip-top shape. I just had the timing chain replaced at 100K miles per the maintenance schedule, and replaced the water pump as a preventative step at the same time. Even the car cover cost $300. We had owned it since it was new and knew how well we had taken care of it. It was unbelievably reliable with only three problems over those years, one of which was a burned out tail light bulb. I replaced a door lock mechanism, and the alternator was replaced at 7 years. But 17 year old Honda Civics simply don't sell for $4,000. KBB and Edmunds only put a $2,900 price on it if it was in Excellent condition.

One problem is many banks won't loan money on cars over 5 years old in most cases. Not sure about used boat loans.

Last edited:
I have no problems with anyone commenting on a" post" about a boats value, or how much is this worth, or what do you think I should ask for this. But when it's posted in a" classified ad", it's exactly that an ad. I just don't think someone's ad trying to sell anything from a rope to a boat is the place it should be open for debate on an items worth.

I have no problems with anyone commenting on a" post" about a boats value, or how much is this worth, or what do you think I should ask for this. But when it's posted in a" classified ad", it's exactly that an ad. I just don't think someone's ad trying to sell anything from a rope to a boat is the place it should be open for debate on an items worth.
I agree. The value discussions should be outside the classified section. I hope I'm not guilty of that. I always tend to look at Recent Posts rather than any specific section. I don't pay attention to which section the posts are from.

Agreed with original poster. All forums present this behavior.

I might not post here if I sell mine either for the same reason. If it ain't the cheapest in the nation, it "too high." LOL

Just the nature of forums. Sell on my friend!

Back