• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Severely Corroded captain's chairs

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My chair was covered also, they are on back order until July.
I was thinking the same thing, what could we do to avoid this in the future

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to hear they cover those under warranty!

Albeit f@ckers did not cover my broken chair base... at 9 months. But that's different.

For maximum protection on those springs, I think I would use some oil-based paint with maximum VOC content you can find/buy.
Regardless of what paint, T9 thereafter. Which (unlike CRC6-56) T9 (Boeshield) leaves a white-ish residue but those springs are hidden from the view.

--

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Grr. I just checked my 2018 and it has the springs and not the plastic cutting board type bottom. Breaking out the silicon spray (again).

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Spoke with the service manger at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday.

Seats are on order. Estimated shipment date = 07/17/18.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you @Benny Sibbitt.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Following since adding a 2015 242 "spring" seat. Guess I should paint them right away. I was thinking of that Rustoleum rust inhibitor.

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Bennie was this YES warranty that covered the replacement? I bought my boat too from GSPS, did you only have to send them pictures or did you have to bring the boat in? Do you remember who helped you at the service center? Or at YES call center? My seats are in the same shape started raining little pieces of rust, thought they wear dead love bugs at first.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jackew -

My seats were covered via multiple calls and emails to mother Yamaha and the YES department.

I have yet to bring the boat down to GSPS for this issue. Though I have been in close contact with the service manager throughout the entire process.

The biggest/ best tip I can give you is to ensure your wording immediately veers from the springs/ seat support being "corroded" to "structurally unsound", or something of the sort. Reason for this is that the YES warranty does NOT cover corrosion.

Dan McG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2015 242 with the same exact issue. I just found this post and I can't thank you enough for all the valuable information. My dealer told me it's getting old and these things start to happen. I was so frustrated because he insisted it would not be covered. I am now in the process of reopening this issue with him and hopefully with your leg work behind me he will pursue this for me. Thank you!!!!

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
It took some time, but my seats where replaced ! Thanks @Bennie for the advise on how to make the claim!

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Dan McG best wishes to get you seats replaced, be patient it takes some effort and make sure to reference this forum for sure

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ensure to NOT use the C- word, "corrosion". Nor any derivative of that word.

"Structual deterioration" or "structural instability" are the nomenclature that you'll want to utilize. Also ensure to stress the safety issue with what Yamaha, most specially your dealership, is now aware of. Though that line of attack will get you further with mother Yamaha than your local place.

Best wishes!

Dan McG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for your support and I can't thank this group enough. I really thought I was alone on this and it's nice to know I'm not. I feel like I just joined my first support group. :) Thanks again.

Westbeach Bum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both of my seats were replaced back in October by the dealer. They never even questioned what caused it. I have the same dealer as @Bennie. I'm sure they knew they had to do the work after his research. Thanks Bennie.

Dan McG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just a quick follow up. After about a year of back and forth, my dealer at Mariners Cove Marina, Hampton Bays, NY (Ron) is refusing to submit a claim. I am now in contact with Yamaha directly but wanted to pass the information along and stress to members the importance of doing the research about the dealer before you purchase from them. Thank you again to everyone for the helpful information.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dan - I feel your pain. My local dealership required a good amount of guidance and hands on involvement to keep things moving. Contact with Yamaha had to be made by myself and the conversation to complete this request had to be moved along by myself or it went stale.

If I may share my lessons learned. Get involved, and get involved early in the process. Obtain a direct contact, both at your local dealership and at Yamaha. I insisted on an office phone line and a corporate email. This can be used to ensure, a) clear communication between all parties, and b) holds people accountable. It's very difficult to get repairs completed on just "word of mouth". Lastly ensure you do not call the seats "corroded". Yamaha does not cover corrosion. These seats are "not structurally sound" and need to be recognized as a hazard by Yamaha. Stress your safety concerns in your emails.

Hope this helps.

Dan McG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for your feedback and advice, I greatly appreciate it.

It is very helpful, thank you.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a quick follow up. After about a year of back and forth, my dealer at Mariners Cove Marina, Hampton Bays, NY (Ron) is refusing to submit a claim. I am now in contact with Yamaha directly but wanted to pass the information along and stress to members the importance of doing the research about the dealer before you purchase from them. Thank you again to everyone for the helpful information.
Sorry you have had bad luck so far. I would definitely follow the advice of some of the fellow members here about choosing words carefully and how to push certain issues with Yamaha directly

I also purchased my SX195 from Ron in Mariner's Cove back in June of 2018, and honestly I had one too many quality control issues for me to allow them to touch my boat again. I had them do the 10hr service for my boat after break in so I could have it on record on warranty (I have done all maintenance since by myself and should have done it on my own to begin with).

Long story short, and without getting into specifics, the dealer made bunch of simple errors that could have had major consequences. Thankfully I checked up on a lot of their work and caught all the issues before they became huge headaches. Because of that, it has pushed me to never interact with them again. If I didn't get the deal I got on my boat through them originally, I would have purchased elsewhere.

To this forums credit, any issue thus far, I have been able to research and have confidence to fix it myself. I try to be as engaged as I can to pass it forward so to speak.

Dan McG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for your input. I have been trying to get more "hands on" and now that the YES warranty is up 8/1/20 I don't see myself going back to the dealer. This group is a tremendous resource, that I greatly appreciate. Thank you!