• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Severely Corroded captain's chairs

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When all these chairs are replaced is Yamaha replacing them with the same metal type frames that have already rusted and corroded? What is everyone going to do to prevent this from happening again?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would suggest the metal springs be replaced with the woven straps interlaced for strength. You see those put on lots of house furniture etc. my two cents! 🤔

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When all these chairs are replaced is Yamaha replacing them with the same metal type frames that have already rusted and corroded? What is everyone going to do to prevent this from happening again?
Yes - the seats were replaced with the same kind of chair/springs. Sooo....
We sold our boat! :thumbsup:

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes - the seats were replaced with the same kind of chair/springs. Sooo....
We sold our boat! :thumbsup:
Mine were just replaced today with the same steel frame seats that rusted out before.

Last edited:

sstango

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the same rusting seat spring problem with 2015 242 LS. As warrentee is long up, has anyone come up with a solution other than replacement? Seems that the upholstry is attached with clips and 2 rivets, can you peal back the upholstry and treat the steel with rust converter? Has anyone had success with this?

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yet again, this forum is a wealth of information for a (relatively!) new boat owner. I was deep cleaning my boat a few weeks ago before putting her in storage for a couple months and noticed a lot of, what I very quickly determined, was flakes of rusted metal under both captain's chairs. I chalked it up to the sweet, salty air of the Gulf Coast but, after reading this thread, I now know I have a real issue that can, and should, be fixed by Yamaha. I am calling them ASAP! Thanks, fellow jet boaters, for helping me out!

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just solved this issue!

I shake my head in disbelief as to why Yamaha would put the springs there in the first place! And, I do not want Yamaha to send me another seat w/the exact same issue. So...I looked at other options...

Pulled the seats and took them to a local marine upholstery shop. Guy said he can replace the springs w/marine grade plywood for $150/seat. SOLD! He disassembled the seats, pulled the springs, sanded and repainted all the exposed metal, and installed the plywood base. Not sure how much "spring" (sorry...pun intended!) I have lost in the seats themselves but, for a long-time, solution, I will take it. Besides, they really are not that soft anyway.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Knowing this is an issue I sprayed some fluid film on a rag and wiped them down. If my shorts are soaked with salt water a towel is used to sit on so the seat does not get soaked with salt water. They look like new with a glaze of fluid film simple preventative maintenance.

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just solved this issue!

I shake my head in disbelief as to why Yamaha would put the springs there in the first place! And, I do not want Yamaha to send me another seat w/the exact same issue. So...I looked at other options...

Pulled the seats and took them to a local marine upholstery shop. Guy said he can replace the springs w/marine grade plywood for $150/seat. SOLD! He disassembled the seats, pulled the springs, sanded and repainted all the exposed metal, and installed the plywood base. Not sure how much "spring" (sorry...pun intended!) I have lost in the seats themselves but, for a long-time solution, I will take it. Besides, they really are not that soft anyway.
Knowing this is an issue I sprayed some fluid film on a rag and wiped them down. If my shorts are soaked with salt water a towel is used to sit on so the seat does not get soaked with salt water. They look like new with a glaze of fluid film simple preventative maintenance.
Sadly, I had no idea I had metal springs under the seat until I saw the tale-tell signs of rust on my SeaDek! By then, it was too late!

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah the seats that came in my boat fell apart 16 years after they were built .. I replaced them with some WISE baja buckets with flip bolsters, new seat/bases tracks, and raised them 6" on the pedestal so i didn't feel like i was sitting on a toddler chair, drilled the correct indexing holes in the pedestal and now the seats rotate to the 90 to the side or the rear at 45 or 90 as they should have originally as the original seats were to over stuffed to swivel without hitting the side of the cockpit... $800 total then for another $500 in materials I rebuilt all the other seat cuhions in a more serviceable manner with vivid white marine vinyl and high density closed cell neoprene foam with no exposed stitching... and a little custom marine mat added to the kit to cover the mods for the MR-1's wala lipsticks on the PIG

attachment - 2022-09-20T173114.100.jpgattachment (97).jpg
attachment - 2022-05-22T105541.956.jpgattachment - 2022-05-22T105614.038.jpgattachment - 2022-05-22T150259.918.jpgattachment - 2022-05-22T204755.608.jpgattachment - 2022-05-22T204802.904.jpgattachment - 2022-09-25T160613.335.jpgattachment - 2022-09-25T160635.395.jpgattachment (97).jpgattachment - 2022-09-25T160641.251.jpgattachment - 2022-09-20T171813.444.jpg