• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shallow Water Mud Ingestion

Matttbone17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hi all, love the forums and all the info!
I've been looking into buying a boat lately doing some research . I have property at a local lake and we are in a shallower part 3-6 feet around the dock. I've been thinking the jet boats would be perfect as wouldn't have to worry as much about hitting a shallow spot or large rock with a prop. How shallow until you start to ingest rocks, mud, and sand would I have issues with the dock being in shallow water is a jet the way to go or would an I/O be the way to go?

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We wet slip our boat on a very shallow lake; the deep end of our dock is 2 feet on a good day and stays less than 30" for another 100' into the lake. The jet allows me to come in under power (very slow!); when we had i/o's we had to install Troll N' Tabs electric motors to come in and go out, because trimming the i/o high enough meant potential damage to the u-joints in the outdrive. 3' at your potential new dock should be fine with a light touch on the throttles.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome @Matttbone17
Most of my boating is in 3-6 feet. I even surf in it. Absolutely no problem, just try to not use hard reverse as a general rule.
IMG_5096.JPG

Matttbone17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thank you guys!
I thought the jets were the way to go! I love the Yamahas especially the 212x and 242xe. I'm hoping they put the reverse gate on them from the waverunners for more maneuverability in neutral like the rotax boats. It would probably also have less downward thrust at the dock which would help me out. Has anyone tried to put one of the reverse gates from a waverunner with Ride on the boats I'm not sure if it's a new nozzle or not thought they were the same jets in the past

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you guys!
I thought the jets were the way to go! I love the Yamahas especially the 212x and 242xe. I'm hoping they put the reverse gate on them from the waverunners for more maneuverability in neutral like the rotax boats. It would probably also have less downward thrust at the dock which would help me out. Has anyone tried to put one of the reverse gates from a waverunner with Ride on the boats I'm not sure if it's a new nozzle or not thought they were the same jets in the past
I live on a 1/2 mile x 1 mile bay that has deep channels on each side but is 3' to 4' deep in the center and has a 2' sand bar at much of the entrance. This is what led me to jet boats. The bottom is in this area is silt. I have bottomed out in it and on sand bars in the ocean without any issue. But I know that hitting a gravel bar on the other lake I boat on could cause some impeller damage.

3' to 6' of depth is plenty. You use sounds perfect for a jet boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How shallow until you start to ingest rocks, mud, and sand would I have issues with the dock being in shallow water is a jet the way to go or would an I/O be the way to go?
@Matttbone17 Check out @Evil Sports profile page... It is telling. Just don't try it with an i/o ;).

--

Matttbone17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The boats are amazing! That's a shallow parking spot looks like only inches deep!!!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am not sure he intentionally parked there.;)

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
But he is my hero!