• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shallows in Rockport Area

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I am planning my first salt water trip to the Rockport/Port Aransas area and I'm looking for any input on running my FSH 210 in the shallows. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I am planning my first salt water trip to the Rockport/Port Aransas area and I'm looking for any input on running my FSH 210 in the shallows. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've launched down there many times but we go directly offshore. I have never spent time in the shallows.

The best advice I can give is to learn how to read a tide chart and get a good navigation system.

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you for the advice, I’ve been trying to do as much research as I can.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I run in shallow water a lot. No major problems. You can run over 10’ at full speed for a long way. I try not to slow down if you come off plane just stay off until you have 18” to plane off. Keep moving so you don’t suck up sand. If you stop shut off motor so you don’t suck up sand. Don’t run over rocks!

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you so much for the info, I’ll be testing the boat out this week will post once I do 👍🏼

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have a keel guard? I have an AR210 and bought one recommended for a 24’ boat cause I wanted it to run further towards the stern of the boat. I wasn’t buying the keel guard to protect the bow, so much as I was buying it to protect most of the keel on the bottom of the boat from oysters. Would recommend you get this knowing you are going into a shallow area. We are in HTX area.

Don’t forget to bring your flush nozzle too. Get done with the boat and flush the engines with fresh water with engine running for about 10 min each. I’ve had mine for 4-5 years and only flushed and rinsed with fresh water after each use and it looks great.

AND 😂 get motorcycle engine spray or silicon spray and coat your engines with it. Will give them a good protective coat before going out in a salt water environment. Can’t use too much.

Good luck on the fishing. Think about anchoring or power poling in 2-3’ of water and wading in. Bring some ray guard booties for when you’re having to push that boat across a shallow area.

Let us know how it goes.

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the input, brought my Salt Off to rinse everything. Thanks for the booties suggestion hadn’t thought about that 👍🏼

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is an update on my trip!

Oh Noooooo!!!!!

You know what I sad about that keel guard. I feel for you man. We had some gel coat scratches from a soft oyster bed and that was enough for us to get a good long keel guard.
I really do wish you luck and I hope that doesn’t end up being too expensive for you. BTW of you do that with a keel guard on and destroy the guard...the company sends you another one for free.
Good luck.

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m tempted to not mess with it until the end of the season. But I’m reading it would have to be sealed to prevent water from further damaging the fiberglass

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All this talk of running in the shallows freaks me out. 10”, 18” - FU!
I’m on alert when I see 3’ on my depth finder.
Yeah man, I see 3' or less flash up and I slow right the hell down. Sometimes the Navionics missed or doesn't have it quite correct.

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Actually when I went back and browsed through the Navionics charts it shows reefs where I hit. So had I been using it or updated my Garmin I would have stayed clear. But live and learn