• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shocks for F350 ???

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My stock 1994 f350 crewcab dually has picked up a pretty good vibration at 45mph and the front driver's side tire is starting to scallop or have high/low spots on the tread

I think it needs shocks,

Seems easy to change so thinking of doing it myself (and my daughter)

Any recommendation for brand, don't need fancy, just stock and dependable but don't mind paying extra for quality

@zipper
@Babin Farms

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to see your still driving the Ford. Check your wheel bearing, ball joints, tie rod ends/steering linkage and look for any bulges in the tire, you may have a bigger issue than shocks. Also, when was it last aligned?

As far as decent shocks without breaking the bank I would go to RockAuto and get either the KYB or the Monroe. I run both brands on the work trucks and have had no complaints.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the "Death wobble" on my 2016 ram 2500 awhile back. Both front tires were wacky tread wear and they still had alot of life left in them. Mechanic checked all the suspension parts and they were good, even aligned it and said it was barely off so it was a mystery as to why I was getting the crazy wobble. So I checked tire pressure, front tires were aired up to 80PSI, which is not the recommendation (Front 65, back 80). What I didn't know was I had a valve stem replaced on the front tire and a different shop decided to air both front tires up that high when they replaced the one valve stem. I believe with the tire pressure that high it made the tire tread wear crazy-like. So we moved the front tires to the back and then made sure the front tires were at the 65-70PSI per my truck's recommendations. Been going on 3 months now and the front tires have no weird wear, no wobble/vibration anymore, and the back tires have worn down to normal looking again. I have taken my truck 3 trips to the Ozarks which is 540ish miles round trip each. So probably have put around 4000 miles total in the last 3 months with no issues.

Just some food for thought.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad to see your still driving the Ford. Check your wheel bearing, ball joints, tie rod ends/steering linkage and look for any bulges in the tire, you may have a bigger issue than shocks. Also, when was it last aligned?

As far as decent shocks without breaking the bank I would go to RockAuto and get either the KYB or the Monroe. I run both brands on the work trucks and have had no complaints.
X2 on what he said. I have not used RA, have used both brands in the past. Current truck has Rancho's.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Second on KYB Monomax. I like Rock Auto, but.......... Their return policy is harsh. Not that you will return them, but read it before you take the plunge.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Just something to consider, on several of my trucks I use to run the Rancho's with the manual adjustable clickers to dial in the feel you prefer. You can get really stiff or dial them back to near standard shock stiffness. There are about 9 stiffness positions to choose.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll second KYB's or Monroe's for a daily driver.

I put Bilstein 5100s on my Sierra. They are a bit pricey, but look nice. Little stiff for my liking. Ran Beltech drop units on my TBSS, too soft for me but lots of other folks liked them.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a circling back on this one,

I ended up getting most of the front end rebuilt, surprisingly the ball joints were still in very good shape, along with brakes and steering, so it got a whole new "refresh" from the mechanic, a good guy, old school front end shop that a friend referred me to,

drives good, still have a slight vibration up past 70mph but I never drive that fast so it's not an issue and brakes well,

thanks for all the replies,