• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shopping for a 24ft boat

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All,
I've read your posts for a while and I'm finally in a position to jump into a boat (grew up boating, but only in ob's). I've read post after post, but I'm still nervous about heading out to test drive a 2011 AR 240 this weekend. Any advice or help you want to throw my way would be great! I have a family of 5 (younger kids), but we'll likely have anywhere from 5 to 10. Thanks in advance!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where you gonna be test driving at @NKTARHEEL ? Or should I say, neighbor? I'm right on the kville line.

H2Oload

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have a 2012 24' Limited S. We have 3 boys 2-10 and its the best investment we have ever made. The entire family loves geting out on the boat and enjoying the sun, the kids asked us to take it to FL on vacation. I grew up with boats, all with outdrives. Jet drive, Yamaha has to be top on the list. I was dead set on a new Sea Ray until we spent a weekend with a friend. No props with little kids, easy beaching from the rear. No brainer. I miss trim, i wish Yamaha would offer like the wave runners but the simplicity is just killer. The power is second to none. We have only used in fresh water but from what I've learned salt is no issue for these boats with a few steps.

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We live in the big metropolis of Stokesdale, but our mailing address is K-ville. I've got family all over W/S and most of NC. Test driving on Norman, I grew up in Cornelius. I love the idea of no prop and very little draft (got family on the pamilco sound and it can be shallow!). The low speed manuvering worries me a little. I've had waverunners, but they're not quite 24 feet long!

H2Oload

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
thrust vectors and a little experience with twin engines its no big deal. I firmly believe they are just as easy to maneuver with twins as any other boat. The learning curve might be a bit longer for some but the positives outweigh the negatives. It may take longer to learn to dock in wind, but there isnt a prop to hit on anything either.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We're on Belews all the time, but headed out to either Falls or Jordan this weekend I think (actually, planning on picking up a waverunner Saturday as long as this one doesn't sell on me too)

If you've done waverunners you've got the basic idea already. It's alot easier than some make it out to be IMHO.

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @H2Oload that's what I'm hoping. I'm sure the docking is going to be a challenge, but I'm always up for learning something new. I'm also testing out a vortex 223 on Sat, but to be honest, the price scares me and the fact that I can't access the jets to clean out debris while on the water (worrisome when in salt water). any thoughts on the chap vortex boats?

Last edited:

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@NKTARHEEL I am selling my 2014 AR240 with many upgrades. It is located in the classified section.

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Helipilot11 that's one heck of a boat!! Sadly, it's above my pay grade. Thanks for the post though! And your service to our country too!! Total respect for our soldiers, I was headed to college with an army scholarship until I blew out my ACL and assorted cartilage.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @H2Oload that's what I'm hoping. I'm sure the docking is going to be a challenge, but I'm always up for learning something new. I'm also testing out a vortex 223 on Sat, but to be honest, the price scares me and the fact that I can't access the jets to clean out debris while on the water (worrisome when in salt water). any thoughts on the chap vortex boats?
My family and I were looking at a Chap 223 until I started looking at the Yamahas. The Chaps are louder, have to supercharge the engine (equals premature wear), and use a Vortex engine. Not a bad engine but I prefer the quieter Yam, with a naturally aspirated engine that is a Yamaha as well. To top that, the fact that you brought up of being able to access your ports while on the water (which I do quite regularly).

I recommend the Yamaha!

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My family and I were looking at a Chap 223 until I started looking at the Yamahas. The Chaps are louder, have to supercharge the engine (equals premature wear), and use a Vortex engine. Not a bad engine but I prefer the quieter Yam, with a naturally aspirated engine that is a Yamaha as well. To top that, the fact that you brought up of being able to access your ports while on the water (which I do quite regularly).

I recommend the Yamaha!
Are the chaparrals louder than a yamaha jetboat that is not a 2015 24ft model? Ask yourself that. Next, have you read of anyone saying that the chap is too loud that actually rode in one or owns one? I haven't, in fact, I've read quite the opposite.

Third, not all chaps are supercharged. Also, just because an engine is supercharged, do not mean you'll see premature wear. Whoever told you that is misinformed to put it politely. When you increase cylinder pressure beyond what an engine has been designed for, you will see premature wear. I bet you can guess whether or not a supercharged engine in a vortex was designed to be supercharged.

It's not a crime to acknowledge that the chap is a nice boat with more powerful engine options, perfect pass (equivalent), chart plotter, and is advantageous in salt water due to its close cooled engine. The chap does not have dual throttles, cleanout ports, or the support of this forum. And since you can't really compare it to a used yamaha, it is undoubtedly more expensive.

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@smashedheadcat I'm going to give the vortex a fair shake this weekend. My biggest concern with the chap vortex is the lack of clean out ports and having to rebuild the superchargers at 100hrs. We looked at them in the show room and to be honest, my wife really liked the interior of the chap vortex (got to keep her happy too).

You're right about price comparison, but from what I can tell, similarly aged/sized/outfitted chap vortexes are priced higher than the yamahas. Also, in NC I can find 22ft and 24ft new Chap Vortexes (not many but 1-2), however the 24ft yamahas are all gone. So a direct test drive comparison isn't possible.

Plus, if I buy new, it'll have to be financed, if I can find a decent used boat that's 2012 or older, then I can swing it without financing. Really don't want a monthly payment :)

Last edited:

H2Oload

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like the Chap boats. I've never been on a demo for their jets bailout I have ridden on their stern drives and the quality is good. I like the clean out ports. I have twice had abandoned, small fishing line to clean out. It took about 10 mins with a knife. I'm not sure that would have went so well from in the water.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I believe the oldest vortex boats are 2015 models, so there won't be much on the used market yet.

The supercharger rebuild goes every 200 hours on the newer brp offerings.

The cleanout ports in the yamaha are certainly nice. The chaps have a driveshaft sleeve to reduce the liklihood of clogs/fishline wrap, but it's one of those things, you just can't know exactly how effective it is.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Holy sh*t....I wasn't try to start a war here. As for the noise comparison it's what I've personally observed and heard from other owners. I see a lot of boats down here in Gulf Shores, AL. Yams, Chaps, etc.
As for super charging an engine causing premature wear over a naturally aspirated engine I take that information directly from my education at Universal Technical Institute. I'll go tell them their misinformed.

I will say that when e looked at the Chaps (which we did first) I really liked the interior and the layout. However once I compared it to a comparable yams (and its service requirements, reliability, and resale value) I was personally sold on the Yamaha.

Again, solely my personal opinion.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Can you give me one example of an engine designed by the manufacturer to function over 100% volumetric efficiency that just wears out more quickly than its non supercharged equivalent?

Turbo diesels? Shelby GT500s? Yamaha SHO engines?

If you put a supercharger on a non-supercharged yamaha engine then you now easily exceed the limits for which that engine was designed. (Sure, yamaha puts some wiggle room in there and probably over engineers a few things) When you do this, you now introduce premature wear, but more often than not, you'll just see some sort of catastrophic engine failure when something let's go.

Now, if you purchase the supercharged yamaha AR192, do you expect it's engine to fail prematurely? Do you think yamaha would send that engine to their customers without it meeting their standards for durability? Do you think the instructors of the introduction to auto mechanics school know better than yamaha, brp, ford, gm, mercedes, (insert nearly every engine manufacturer here)'s engineers do? Nearly every vehicle on the road today can be optioned with some sort of forced induction. The UTI instructors know this, and so should their graduates.

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, didn't mean to start a war! Just test drove a 2011 AR240 and loved it, less than 50hrs on the motors, it has the updated oil plate screw (I looked for it based on another thread posted here, which was awesome advice!) and great upolstry. Still going to test drive the chap, but buying used (best value option available) may win the day.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That's what it is all about in the end! If you love the boat and it fits what you want to do budget wise, that is the way to go.

I don't like wars either, but I've been lurking for close to a year now reading about these boats. It is rare to see a chap thread without some sort of unnecessary jab thrown it's way. Yamahas are excellent boats in their own right. Saying that yamahas are better because their engines don't fail prematurely like the supercharged chaps is unnecessary when it is not true.

If nobody says anything to the contrary, then the site doesn't do its readers looking for information justice.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's what it is all about in the end! If you love the boat and it fits what you want to do budget wise, that is the way to go.

I don't like wars either, but I've been lurking for close to a year now reading about these boats. It is rare to see a chap thread without some sort of unnecessary jab thrown it's way. Yamahas are excellent boats in their own right. Saying that yamahas are better because their engines don't fail prematurely like the supercharged chaps is unnecessary when it is not true.

If nobody says anything to the contrary, then the site doesn't do its readers looking for information justice.
The Scarab group here at JBN has grown nicely over the last year or so, but the Chap group seems to have grown a little slower for whatever reason. I do believe it will grow in time...but it may take a while.

I crawled all over a couple of Chaps at the local boat show last winter - they are beautiful boats! I have always loved the Chaps' shapes - and I think they did an excellent job translating the look to a jet driven platform. Personally, I am looking forward to a growing and healthy group of Chap enthusiasts here.

The different brands all have their strengths and weaknesses. The competition is great for all of us boat owners or potential buyers. I love my Yammie, but I also love what some of the other builders are doing, too.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I completely agree, @GTBRMC. I too looked at the Chaps...hell they're the ones that peaked my interest and made me start looking at jet boats. However once I started to do my research and weigh the facts that mattered the most to me personally, I too chose a Yamaha. And couldn't be happier with my decision.

Last edited: