• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shopping for a 24ft boat

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright, I tested both the 2011 ar240 (less than 50hrs) and the 2015 223 chap vortex. Let me start by saying both were awesome boats. Both had great power and rode well. We liked the interior of the chap better but that may have been a factor of it being new. Also I preferred the slow speed maneuverability of the chap over the ar240. Honestly the motor noise wasn't vastly different to me but then again I didn't test them side by side or on the same body of water. I'm however still in favor of the ar240's clean out feature over the chap's slice the debris up approach.

All that being said, it's come down to price, a virtually new 2011 ar240 in the mid 30ks or a new 2015 223 chap at 57k (no special financing but did have a 3yr warranty). Both really nice boats, but I couldn't justify liking the chap 20k more than the yam.

Yam it is! They took my offer and I pick it up this week!! So excited I can't stand it!

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alright, I tested both the 2011 ar240 (less than 50hrs) and the 2015 223 chap vortex. Let me start by saying both were awesome boats. Both had great power and rode well. We liked the interior of the chap better but that may have been a factor of it being new. Also I preferred the slow speed maneuverability of the chap over the ar240. Honestly the motor noise wasn't vastly different to me but then again I didn't test them side by side or on the same body of water. I'm however still in favor of the ar240's clean out feature over the chap's slice the debris up approach.

All that being said, it's come down to price, a virtually new 2011 ar240 in the mid 30ks or a new 2015 223 chap at 57k (no special financing but did have a 3yr warranty). Both really nice boats, but I couldn't justify liking the chap 20k more than the yam.

Yam it is! They took my offer and I pick it up this week!! So excited I can't stand it!
Congratulations! You will really enjoy that boat, excellent choice.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bennie, will do soon :)
Had to leave it at my parents house on Lake Norman this week :( I sound like I'm 10yrs old, right? ;), but I will have some pics by the end of next week! So looking forward to a full weekend with the family on the lake!

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats. I was in a similar spot and just couldn't justify the cost of going new given our limited season. I don't regret going used at all and it makes me feel less guilty during times when we can't use the boat as much as I would like. A couple of mods to consider to get you started: welded bow stop, fins, locks for the clean-out plugs and boat buckles. Best of luck.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@SCSTWG - welded bow stops??, boat buckles??

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat Buckles are effectively ratcheting tie downs to secure the boat to the trailer. They can be purchased for $50-100 depending on the brand that you purchase and if you go with stainless steel or not. Anyone that has them will tell you it is the best money they have spent as the stock tie down's are pitiful. The welded bow stop is the process of having a piece of metal welded to the bow stop of your trailer. This prevents flexing and makes the boat easier to load on the trailer and it also helps to keep the boat tight on the trailer when towing. A search of the website will produce a number of threads on the subject with pics.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks - I'll be adding the buckles to my list of mods. Those original ones have almost had it already. The salt water down here KILLS them.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
ANY time you mention or are thinking about both Chaparral OR the Beneteau Group (who acquired Rec Boat Holdings - Scarab, Glastron, Four Winns, Wellcraft) ......... regardless how you feel about Yamaha, please do remember this:

If it wasn't for those 2 companies, Mother Yamaha would NEVER have made the major changes to their 24-foot line-up that they did for 2015 !

Personally, I don't think the jet boat offerings from either of those 2 organizations hold a candle to the 24-foot 2015 Yamahas, but I am sure glad they entered the market the way they did with aggressive offerings. [flag]

Just my 2 cents worth, and we all know how much that'll buy today ........ LOL !

Best Wishes to all, Mikey Lulejian- Lake Oconee, GA

PS - Interesting sidenote: Did ya know that the former owner of Rec Boat Holding, also owns the Detroit Pistons ??? !!!

Last edited: