• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shorlandr Reverse Lights?

Lord Vader

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2019 Shoelandr trailer, 2019 AR240 - Anyone know if the trailer has reverse lights? I'm almost positive that it does because I've put it away at night before and I remember it being much brighter back there (I think). I pulled the boat out to change the oil today and when I went to back it up the driveway, the trailer locked up and would NOT go in reverse. I was able to chock the tires, pull forward an inch and inserted the "trailer key" as a work around for backing it back up the driveway. I did notice that the trailer parking lights would flicker when I messed with the 7 pin connector but I never saw the reverse lights come on when I had my wife put the truck in reverse. I'm going to check my fuses in the truck tomorrow but wanted to confirm that the trailer does in fact have reverse lights.

without power the trailer brake will lock, check your trailer connection to make sure its not corroded or if there is a short. Not sure of the reverse light, I haven't reverse at night yet but I would guess all newer trailer would have it.

I’m not sure of your specific trailer lighting system. However, most hydraulic brake equipped boat trailers (like mine) require a reverse light activation to deactivate the trailer brakes while backing. So it does sound like you’re having an issue either with the tow vehicles trailer plug not getting a reverse light signal or the trailer connection not carrying the signal through its wiring. This also could simply be a grounding issue. Trailers with a swing away tongue often lose a ground if the manufacture doesn’t carry the ground to both sides of the swing away tongue. Anyway, it’s probably a simple cause of your issue, however wiring and boat trailers can often be a pita. It can start in one place and then next trip something else shortS out. Good luck with your fix.

(what @itsdgm said, plus, I don't think our trailers actually have a white reverse light back there. you probably remember seeing the brake lights. i'm betting grounding issue or the common wire in the connector, which is causing you to not have brake lights or the backup light wire energized to unlock the brakes)

(what @itsdgm said, plus, I don't think our trailers actually have a white reverse light back there. you probably remember seeing the brake lights. i'm betting grounding issue or the common wire in the connector, which is causing you to not have brake lights or the backup light wire energized to unlock the brakes)

Some will also see the white light from the plate light, and think it's a reverse light. But mostly, these trailers do not have reverse lights.

2019 Shoelandr trailer, 2019 AR240 - Anyone know if the trailer has reverse lights? I'm almost positive that it does because I've put it away at night before and I remember it being much brighter back there (I think). I pulled the boat out to change the oil today and when I went to back it up the driveway, the trailer locked up and would NOT go in reverse. I was able to chock the tires, pull forward an inch and inserted the "trailer key" as a work around for backing it back up the driveway. I did notice that the trailer parking lights would flicker when I messed with the 7 pin connector but I never saw the reverse lights come on when I had my wife put the truck in reverse. I'm going to check my fuses in the truck tomorrow but wanted to confirm that the trailer does in fact have reverse lights.
I've never seen a boat trailer with reverse lights. May not even be legal. You can always use your brake lockout until you get the issue resolved.

I've never seen a boat trailer with reverse lights. May not even be legal. You can always use your brake lockout until you get the issue resolved.
All of mine do... I always install 4 inch cube IP68 or IP67 LED off road lights. I have never been asked about it from law enforcement or during a trailer inspection. If asked, I would tell them they are work lights.

just installed a set on my Shorelndr 2021 trailer recently. Love them for backing anything up at night.

All of mine do... I always install 4 inch cube IP68 or IP67 LED off road lights. I have never been asked about it from law enforcement or during a trailer inspection. If asked, I would tell them they are work lights.

just installed a set on my Shorelndr 2021 trailer recently. Love them for backing anything up at night.
So do you have them wired to your trailer plug, or do they operate remotely? I like the idea

So do you have them wired to your trailer plug, or do they operate remotely? I like the idea
I wire them directly to my 7 pin for the backup lights. I do carry a ground to each one of them. On my toy hauler (open tandem trailer) I have another set of pods that carries from the battery on the 7 pin and has a push button switch on the side of my toolbox on the tongue for work lights. On that one, I installed a small bus and a pos and neg lead so I can drop a battery in the toolbox for when the truck is not attached.

I like lots of light... I hate stumbling around in the dark. ?

I am pretty sure Nautique boat trailers(Boatmate Trailers) come with reverse lights on the trailers. At least my buddy's G23 came from the factory with reverse lights on his trailer. It is actually a pretty nice feature. Makes it easier backing into the shop at night.

I wire them directly to my 7 pin for the backup lights. I do carry a ground to each one of them. On my toy hauler (open tandem trailer) I have another set of pods that carries from the battery on the 7 pin and has a push button switch on the side of my toolbox on the tongue for work lights. On that one, I installed a small bus and a pos and neg lead so I can drop a battery in the toolbox for when the truck is not attached.

I like lots of light... I hate stumbling around in the dark. ?

May I ask which reverse light you used...? Thinking about the same thing and they will need to be submersible...

May I ask which reverse light you used...? Thinking about the same thing and they will need to be submersible...
I have used these on a couple of boat trailers and a few utility trailers. They are IP68 rated so they are submersible.

This is on the shorelandr trailer.
4CB8DED5-293F-4CA6-ADBD-35667C82EEE7.jpeg

dude... thank you for the quick replay and link... love the light and set up...!
Will post mine when I get to it.

dude... thank you for the quick replay and link... love the light and set up...!
Will post mine when I get to it.
Happy to help! Pro tip- when fishing the wires through the cross member use a stiff piece of wire rather than a fish tape. Also go to Home Depot or lowes and get a pair of 3.5” stainless bolts, nuts and washers. My trailer needed no holes drilled, used the factory adjustment holes for mounting. Oh, you may need a couple of 1/2 inch rubber grommets to keep from chaffing the wires.

Happy to help! Pro tip- when fishing the wires through the cross member use a stiff piece of wire rather than a fish tape. Also go to Home Depot or lowes and get a pair of 3.5” stainless bolts, nuts and washers. My trailer needed no holes drilled, used the factory adjustment holes for mounting. Oh, you may need a couple of 1/2 inch rubber grommets to keep from chaffing the wires.

Nice tips, I was just looking at a picture of my trailer (pictured below) seems like I will need to drill into the trailer to mount these... this is a fresh water boat but I heard lost about the MFI trailers being sensitive to corrosion. Alternatively I might need to come up with a "mount" that wraps around the 2x4 tubing without drilling ?. I like your suggestion on using a stiff wire to fish the wires as well as the rubber grommets to prevent chaffing.
20210910_203437.jpg?

Be careful of Shorlandr wiring. This was new my 19' Shorlandr Galv Trailer wiring harness with barely 4 months of use. Complete Junk. They stuffed it full of non marine connectors and they all rotted out. Been LED with wiring outside the frame rails for 3 years now.

vlcsnap-2021-11-22-17h33m09s301.png

vlcsnap-2021-11-22-17h30m11s196.png

Yeah, I changed out the incandescent lights and found those connectors… stuffed them full of dialectic grease.
Hated the single axle trailer for the 195S and needed a way to haul jet skis at the same time so the admiral wouldn’t have to tow anything. Bought a LoadRite tandem that I am modifying.

Be careful of Shorlandr wiring. This was new my 19' Shorlandr Galv Trailer wiring harness with barely 4 months of use. Complete Junk. They stuffed it full of non marine connectors and they all rotted out. Been LED with wiring outside the frame rails for 3 years now.

View attachment 167505

View attachment 167504
Wow... those don't look too sanitary.
Thank you WV for all the tips and tricks, you're really getting me inspired

I added lights about 2 weeks ago. Anyone care to know more? I’ll revive this if so.

I do care to know... I've been meaning to do this not necessarily for backing into the water but once I get to my boat storage the reverse light could assit with the visibility. Still I feel lights will need to be water proof to survive in/out of water while at the ramp.

Back