• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I convert to electric brakes?

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The chrome wore off the piston on one of my brake calipers on a ShoreLand'r trailer several years ago. It sticks about once a season and I have to rebuild it. I am sick of it.

A local trailer shop did not recommend replacing it with another USP caliper. They have a 10" kit (two new calipers, etc) they will install for $550. Or, they will put electric brakes on it for $500-$600. I am thinking of going this route. I would need to install a brake controller in my 4Runner too. Thoughts?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you do not boat in salt water I would go with electric brakes. $600 seems overpriced but they are doing the work.

Whatever you do please make sure those brakes are working if you are towing a 242 with a 4 runner.

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Bruce. How hard is it to install myself?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Bruce. How hard is it to install myself?
The brakes should bolt onto the axles then you run wires to the connector at the tongue. I would use as many galvanized or rated for water parts as possible. The electro magnets are sealed up so as long as the wiring is sealed water should not be an issue for the electrical components.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a huge fan of electric brakes and a good brake controller. I might do the conversion myself.

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another option is electric over hydraulic where you retain your existing brake system with exception of the coupler.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd love electric brakes, I get tired of the THUNK when I start moving from a stop.

When I get a new trailer I'll put electric on it.

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I dropped it off at the trailer shop. I am getting electric on both axels. I will report how well it works.

I opted for the brakes that do NOT auto adjust. The service technician said the auto adjust brakes run with a tighter tolerance since they always adjust and click out after they wear a bit. So they wear out quicker and can rub and get warm. I'll have to manually adjust them once a season.

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love the brakes so far. The first thing I noticed is that annoying thunk of the surge tongue is now gone. I have taken it on a few short tips and it stops great. I have a longer trip planned in June.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any electric brake solutions for salt water use

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would love to see a breakdown of parts used for your conversion. I have a 2014 242 and I assume its the same trailer. would love to swap out the surge for electric as well.

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a local trailer shop swap the brakes so I do not have a parts list. If you are handy it does not seem like it would be too difficult to do yourself. eTrailer.com may have some how-to videos and I am sure they would have all the parts. I just finished a 500 mile trip and I am still pleased with the swap.

I purchased this brake controller: https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90195.html

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love the brakes so far. The first thing I noticed is that annoying thunk of the surge tongue is now gone. I have taken it on a few short tips and it stops great. I have a longer trip planned in June.
Do you know what was done to the trailer tongue to keep it from moving in and out? Like, is the lockout key just permanently in place?

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They welded the tongue in place and painted it to match the trailer. I'll snap a pic next time I am next to the trailer. They also removed the brake reservoir.

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any electric brake solutions for salt water use
I was told there are flush ports to rinse the inside of the drums. However since I do not boat in salt water I did not investigate it further.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Etrailer stuff is great. I installed that brand of controller on my sienna for a camper. Worked great. Easy to use. Took a few hours to install, but straight forward. Their video made a huge difference.