• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I sell my SX190 for an SX210?

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First boat, first season in a 2015 SX 190 and it's been great.
I live in the northeast (New England) and the boat naturally did great on the lake and on the river, but did not do so well in the ocean chop close to the harbor. Granted, that place is like a highway and I got bounced around like a little dinghie, forcing me to reduce speed very significantly to navigate through it safely for a good 20 minutes before getting to calmer open waters.

I am now considering an SX 210, so to the sea captains that made that switch, please call me out on what I hope to get through the upgrade:

1- A slightly bigger boat able to handle choppy waters a little better (a lot better?). My concern is not only stability but also keeping the bow above that chop. The SX190's bow just sits way too low for comfort.

2- Two engines instead of one, providing a way back to land if one of the engines/props failed. This particular point may be a given.

Is the upgrade justifiable? Will point (1) be very noticable? Is the switch worth it?
*I should mention at this point I am not considering a 24' boat for a) cost and b) size: I park my boat and trailer in my driveway, and I hal it away to water everytime it's used; so size, ease of mobility and conveneince is key.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone will have to speak on this other than myself being an sx190 owner as well. Been on many boats in my lifetime. Owned a few when I was young and my parents have had boats over the years. The 2 foot difference isn't going to get you the ocean experience you are after. These boats are made for lakes rivers bays and other flat water. Boats better suited for ocean water and heavy chop are going to be a little longer and a deeper v to cut better. I've been contemplating a 21 as well for better chop handling, speed and room. What I'm thinking is I'll be disappointed I didn't go after the 24. Money is my only obstacle at this point.

As for size convenience and mobility these 19 footers are bees knees.

But if the engine goes on a single we are s out of luck.

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So Yamaha's website lists the 21' deadrise at 20 degrees, while the 19' is at 18 degrees. That's 2 degrees that as far as I understand it would result in a deeper V in the water, which would do better in chop. how much deeper is the question. Anyone has that info?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me......as soon as the boat leaves the size range that can be easily fit in my garage, and I have to store it offsite somewhere.......I would get the largest boat I could afford and tow. For me that's a 24-25ft Yamaha. The operating costs between a 21ft and a 24ft are marginal at best, and unless you have to make it under a tow vehicle weight rating, or a garage door header, then the larger boat will help you in all regards.

If you're willing to make the trade, go ahead and get a MUCH bigger one.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll agree and add the difference between the 19 and 21 aren't going to make that much difference in the ocean. Might make a little difference in the bay or lake with added weight and length.

Go bigger if you can!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I concur with @2kwik4u and @Emptytemples If you know you will be enjoying boating for some time and the invest and you can afford the 25' footer and tow it. Get it, otherwise you will be having the same conversation with yourself when you get the 21'. I got the 21' footer this past may and we are already thinking upgrade to 25' Yamaha, at the very least a gently used 24'.

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I concur with @2kwik4u and @Emptytemples If you know you will be enjoying boating for some time and the invest and you can afford the 25' footer and tow it. Get it, otherwise you will be having the same conversation with yourself when you get the 21'. I got the 21' footer this past may and we are already thinking upgrade to 25' Yamaha, at the very least a gently used 24'.
I totally agree. I'd get a 24' or 25' in a heart beat, but with the short boating season here in the Northeast it's difficult to justify the cost, + haling the beast back and forth will be less straight forward, though I'd have to really take a look at its size on a trailer to make a better judgement.
I'd stick with my 19' because I'm happy with the interior size, but I have to say the added safety net a second impeller the 21' provides is a very strong incentive, especially since I'm taking it around the islands in the oceans...

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I totally agree. I'd get a 24' or 25' in a heart beat, but with the short boating season here in the Northeast it's difficult to justify the cost, + haling the beast back and forth will be less straight forward, though I'd have to really take a look at its size on a trailer to make a better judgement.
I'd stick with my 19' because I'm happy with the interior size, but I have to say the added safety net a second impeller the 21' provides is a very strong incentive, especially since I'm taking it around the islands in the oceans...
I would love a 2 engine 19'. I remember the little Yamaha exciters. 2-135hp engines. They were a blast.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bigger is better and 2 vs engine is better, but there is HUGE but.
after trade in you are looking to spend an extra $30K. The improvement on ride quality will not be worth it. As far as the safety of the 2nd engine goes, I do not think it is worth 30K either. This is why. Statistically speaking it is highly unlikely that your engine will fail. Now say it does .... what the second engine do for you ? It highly unlikely that will be able to get on plane with a single engine and even if you do you are guaranteed to ruin your other engine unless you take precautions withe cooling system. so realistically speaking your second engine will you keep the bow pointing towards the waves. That can be accomplished with a sea anchor. Then you add a 25watt VHF with an 8foot antenna, so those other boats that toss you around can hear you are in distress and come pick you up. Even you want to be paranoid then pick up an in reach. All of those 3 alternatives combined are like $700. So if you like you boat you should keep it. If you are looking for excuse to buy a bigger boat...... well if you money you need to excuse just make yourself happy :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forgot to comment on my fellow members on the question if you should get 21 and then all suggest 25. We love to spend your money and by all means if you can I do not see why not. A further support on that is towing a 21 vs 24 is minimal difference and I cannot think off a vehicle that is safe to tow a 21 but not a 24. The extra 3 feet of length mean nothing, but the extra 6 inches in width that makes a difference while towing. So don't let the towing discourage you from getting a 24 or 25.