• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shrinkwrap or Yamaha Cover?

CLBeerbower

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I am looking for your thoughts on how the stock Yamaha mooring cover holds up over a winter. I am being quoted $500 a year for my 212 and a whole new cover is only roughly $1000. If I could get three years out of it I am in the black! However I didn’t know about stretching or water intrusion. I live in Denver and we get snow but it usually doesn’t stick around long. Thoughts?

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My indoor storage place is not available so I have to store my outside. I’m putting the the mooring cover and then the transport cover on top. I’ve done this before and it survived the winter fine

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The shipping cover is adequate until it starts to leak. If you have any snow load, I would not subject the mooring cover to it.

Your shrink wrap quote is expensive, I had my 24’ done last year for $300, including a zipper access door. My boat never came out of the winter looking so nice inside.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My vote is for the shipping cover in the winter and canvas cover the rest of the year. If you don’t have a shipping cover go with the canvas ones. I often find both types used for $300 to $400 and most last at least 3 seasons, more if you can alternate them during the year. Unless I could do the shrink wrapping myself i couldn’t justify the recurring annual fee.

Notes on shipping covers: Yamaha doesn’t sell them, they are produced and shipped with each boat made. Once Yamaha discontinues manufacturing a hull, like the 230 or the first gen 240s, they stop making the shipping covers as well. So if I see a shipping cover selling online for under $300, I buy it.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I shrink wrap mine every winter and know Im coming back to the boat exactly how I left it. In New England I never know what our snow pack will be. Only once in the past 8 years have I had to knock the snow off it. I like the fact its bone dry in there when I cut it off come May. I expect the cost will go up this year since its all Plastic and wood to do it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I shrink wrap mine every winter and know Im coming back to the boat exactly how I left it. In New England I never know what our snow pack will be. Only once in the past 8 years have I had to knock the snow off it. I like the fact its bone dry in there when I cut it off come May. I expect the cost will go up this year since its all Plastic and wood to do it.
Do you do it yourself or pay someone to shrink wrap your boat? If the former, what does it cost to do it yourself every year, including the equipment/tools, if any, that need to be purchased one a one time basis?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Shrink wrap here as well, we get ~100 inches of snow a year. Last winter a "ice dam" tore the gutter off the rear of the house, that's the kind of fun winters we have.

Shrink wrap with a zipper door, now that sounds perfect, than I can get some work done during the winter....

Cost, I believe its $10 or $12 a foot, I forget. I do the acid wash as well which is a similar charge.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used the Shipping cover last year. I bought one of those roof snow scrapers with the long handle to clear any snow that accumulated on top. Tightened it good. Put Damp rid buckets in it, pulled batteries, used poles and also put pool noodles over the window frame top, slit so they fit over. Worked out fantastic. Just made sure if it snowed to go out and pull the snow off the boat cover.

Also what was nice about it, was that I needed some measurements from inside the boat and we did get a few 50 degree days and I did some minor work on the boat and test fitted some fabrications I was working on.

CLBeerbower

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
So it does not sound like anyone recommends using just the mooring cover by itself due to stretching. I don’t have the option to store inside or under a car port.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ibwould not use just the mooring cover.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use a mooring cover if I don’t have a shipping cover but I don’t experience extreme weather, like snow or ice, during the winter months, just rain and lately not much of it. I also have a few spare mooring covers that are already worn, torn and patched so I don’t mind using them for long term storage. When you see dust the color of the mooring cover on the interior after you remove the cover it’s a sure sign the cover is about to fail.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you do it yourself or pay someone to shrink wrap your boat? If the former, what does it cost to do it yourself every year, including the equipment/tools, if any, that need to be purchased one a one time basis?
I've looked into purchasing the equipment a couple times, and seems like to get decent stuff and enough material to do the boat for a couple years, will run you in the 8-900 range. Would definitely pay for itself after 3-4 years, but also seems like a real PITA job. The guys I hire come to the house and wrap it there, and are gone in about an hour. Nice work, too. Good perk of wrapping it over the tower is that you can do some work in there over the winter pretty easily, or more importantly, have some boat drinks with the radio on if you get a warm day.

62137D4A-453C-4C83-91DE-4A8E3CA22262.jpeg

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn’t want to risk the winter cold and snow damaging my mooring cover, nor did I want to pay $600 to shrink wrap my boat, so I bought a $200 cover on Amazon. It worked great this past winter, just needed it to be a little bit wider on the bow. (I think it would fit your 21’ well.) Even if I had to buy one each year it will be worth it, but it looks like new, so I’m sure to get at least a few winters out of it.
771A7522-0E28-4DBA-BB6C-92CD17EA17BE.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would prefer a cover over shrink wrap so that o could take advantage of any surprise warm days that I could take the boat out in. If I shrink wrapped my boat I’d be very reluctant to take advantage of such days.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie isn't the weather good enough out by you to basically boat all year long or fish? If it is in the 50's without it freezing at night, it is boating weather.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wish, I think you are thinking of southern Ca. We have a rainy season here in NCal. And it’s generally cold between October and April. Sub 50, maybe at night but I’m too old for survival/challenge boating anymore. Not long ago we would take the boat out to SF in January when the water was calm on a weekend. Now if it’s too windy we reconsider where we are going / if we are going since tubing has been a big thing for our family and friends lately. I also recently figured out I need to get my wife and I full wet suits so we can ride our Waverunners in late fall and spring, the half/spring suits I got didn’t cut it this year. I should have known when I saw the locals wearing full suits.

you do bring up a good point though. I can’t remember the last time I saw a shrink wrapped boat here in NCal at anytime of the year.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie Didn't know there was that much temperature change in California between North and South. I haven't been there since I was 14, so basically 38 years ago......