• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Simple wiring question (LED cup holders)

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm installing LED cup holders and was wondering what gauge wire I should get. I'm assuming they have 18g wire but I'm wondering if I should get 16g from their ends to my switch panel.

Also, they came with a wiring harness. Not sure how they work really? Or should I just cut the ends off and do a simple splice and solder?

image.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The snap connector is optional but if all the parts are there I would use them. They would make it easy to replace the cup holder in the future it gain access to that area.

The LEDs are going to draw very little amperage. I would guess that something smaller than 18 gauge would satisfy their needs. But larger wires have less loss so there is no harm in upsizing.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As far as the harness goes what is in the picture is what came with them. Thanks for the info! Adding LED cup holders and LED speaker rings soon!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The only benefit to using heavier wire is to prevent vibration it other movement of the wire from breaking it. It is plenty heavy for resistance of the LEDs. I ran 18ga in all my led mods. Welcome aboard @Skysurfer2010 !

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks Mel. I have a tendency when it comes to wiring to use one gauge thicker than what I really need. Just peace of mind. Overkill probably, but the price difference is negligible.

I just ordered 300' of wire (150' total for pos and 150' neg) to do the speaker rings and the cup holders! That should keep me busy for a weekend! :woot:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length