• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Simrad Go7 and Yamaha

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking about putting one of these in place of the analog tachs on my AR240. Does anyone have one that can give a review? Watch the video. Lots of Yamaha jet boat content!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks pretty slick. It looks like there are a lot of electrical connections to run if you want take advantage of the tach, oil pressure, battery voltage, temp & depth features.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would mostly be using it for the chartplotter, fish finder, and sounder. I'd use connext for the rest. I wonder if they have something a little cheaper since I won't be using it for the radio, engine management, etc?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@McMark:

There are at least 2 authorized retailers who offer this for $799.00 delivered (Free shipping - no sales tax).

I personally don't think you'll find an alternative that offers anywhere as near as much for anything close to that price.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Simrad-GO7-ChartplotterFishfinder-P4437.aspx?gclid=CMPgz7G-58cCFUE7gQodLQYJaQ

http://www.imarineusa.com/Simrad000-11830-001.aspx?gclid=CPnA94S_58cCFUYlgQod3BwMTw

Good Luck - Looks like a great deal from a leader in the industry.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im glad you brought this up. Ive been trying to teach myself about these since we got our boat. I know that to use the full functionality of the go7, I need to find out if my 2014 has a NMEA2000 data wire on the engine. The guy from Simrad seemed to believe so. He said that if it didn't (and he couldn't see it not being there) I could use a starter kit (lowrance is same Co. as Simrad) to hook up for full engine monitoring.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-reg-NEMA-Networking-System/944739.uts?productVariantId=1215072&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=39-77307251-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02798012&rid=20

Any more information anyone has on these would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure what type of questions I should be asking.

All I know is that I'd like to control my stereo/audio, GPS, and have chart plotting, fish finding. If everything else can work (engine monitoring) I'd have this ordered tonight.

since some of this info is available through the M&T buttons on the tach LCD screen can I safely assume that info is coming through a nema2000 wire?

Last edited:

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm really only looking for the gps chart plotting and fish finding so if anyone has a better option than the go7, I'm all ears. I have the connext for everything else. I don't mind adding a through hull transducer if I need to.

Nmjr, I don't know enough to help with these. Hopefully we can find out if it will work on your 190.

I thought the video with all the yamahas was pretty cool!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe that all 1.8 liter Yamaha's have NMEA 2000 systems.

MR-1 engined models would need something like this NoLand Engineering RS11 to add NMEA data to replace the gauges.,

While you are shopping I would consider the similarly priced Raymarine a78 as an alternative.

The Go 7 listings above to not include the transducer. You will likely want to buy a more expensive package that includes the transducer as buying transducers separately is often more expensive.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not aware of anyone tying into the NEMA 2000 for digital gauges but other members have used it for a GPS signal.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@njmr2fan, what does the connector on the back of your tachometer look like? I bet it is NEMA 2000.

twentiesforever

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this a straight plug and play for our boats or do you need extra parts? If it is straight plug and play, where do you connect it to?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce, Ill have to get into the dash or try to get some pictures from the storage opening through the back of the dash, so... to be continued.

@twentiesforever, Thats what Im trying to figure out. The CS guy from Simrad believes that our 1.8 motors had a connector (I guess much like a cars OBD port) where all engine management and data can be read (nema2000 wire) so if I can find that plug, the system can plug in and them you start sorting out gas level, oil temp, fuel burn rate, etc. You can add sensors if a parameter is not covered (i.e. exhaust temp) by adding the sensor and connecting it to the network. The back end unit seems very capable, it can be used with their auto pilot systems (which I cant wrap my head around right now) but wonder if this option could be configured like perfect pass...

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Simrad and Lowrance are both owned by Navico. It was explained to me that Lowrance like Toyota where Simrad is more the Lexus for Navico. Both will come with very similar software and can connect to all the same stuff. The Simrad has a little faster processor and often is a generation ahead on bells and whistles. When I bought my Lowrance they showed me it running side by side with a Simrad and refresh speed was very clear but nothing I needed. I was also told by a rep that it was easier to write one software package and put it on all the the units and only disabling features due to screen size so even the smallest unit can do radar and multiple engine monitoring. I have the first generation Lowrance HDS on my fishing boat and still love it. I have checked out the new ones and don't see the justifying the money in upgrading which I take as a sign as to nice of unit my old first generation one is. Lowarance/Simrad Structure Scan is amazing! It is like a photo on the bottom. For crabbing it is nice to be able to set way points corresponding to the contours of the river bottom. Mine has been out is some pretty nasty weather crabbing and fishing on the Oregon coast and never had a problem with rain, salt water, fish parts. Mine is easy to see in the sun. My fishing boat motor is too old for NEMA 2000 compatibility but I know a guy that has his hooked up to his Yamaha outboard motor and tells him all kind of stuff.
@McMark you might want to look at the Lowrance HDS for a less expensive option. The 1st generation was buttons. The 2nd generation was just a touch screen and the (current) 3rd generation has both buttons and a touch screen. I think a lot of places still have the 2nd generation units left so you might be able to get a great deal on one.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ignorance is bliss, I dont want to know more about my motors. They are Yamaha and they run all the time, what else do I need.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm mostly interested in chart plotting and depth sounding so keep the suggestions coming.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@njmr2fan, what does the connector on the back of your tachometer look like? I bet it is NEMA 2000.
Doesn't look like the round NMEA connectors you buy...
20160503_114859.jpg

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why is there an unused connector marked GPS?

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would mostly be using it for the chartplotter, fish finder, and sounder. I'd use connext for the rest. I wonder if they have something a little cheaper since I won't be using it for the radio, engine management, etc?
It's a lot of work trying to integrate a large screen gps/sounder into the dash and having it look nice. I replaced the entire dash insert of my AR230 with a new custom one and rearranged the gauges so that I could fit an HDS8G2 and mount it centered in front of the wheel.

If all you really care about is gps nav and sonar and not actually connecting to the engines or anything else, you could consider just mounting an ipad, installing the navionics app, and then purchasing a sonarphone for getting sonar into the app. It looks like the Navionics app integrates sonarphone and has a split screen option.

http://www.sonarphone.mobi/navionics