• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Simrad Go7 and Yamaha

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So after 2 hours of phone tag and being passed around Yamaha Marine products, I was able to speak with a technician who deals with jetboats. I explained to "Brad" that I'm simply trying to find out what language is used to send the information from the engine to the gauges in (NMEA2000 or other). After I explained this to this dry monotone sounding tech, he said "Well, thats something I'd have to send out for. Let me get a good call back number for you....":banghead:

:winkingthumbsup"Good news! Brad called back. NMEA2000 is the language that Yamaha uses for all the info being sent from the engine. @Bruce, You sir were completely correct. Now.... How to tie that info into a networking cable?

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had several chats with Yamaha Brad today. To the point I was curious if the Yamaha's Command Link would be able to tie into our 1.8L engines. After speaking with friends at the Jet boat side and the Marine side he called me back to give me the bad news. The product wasn't created for the NMEA 2000 information coming from the 1.8's, and unless you have an engineering degree in electronics and computer networking it wouldn't be to easy to get them to mate up. He went as far as telling me that his friend in Marine told him that its quite a chore for the marine outboards themselves to get full functionality out of the Command link. Oh well....

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want the Fancier Box to put it simply.

I'd love to be able to see information easily without having to look through the M&T buttons on a 1/4" readout. I'm buying a GO7 fishfinder, and since the capability is there I want to have the digital gauges work as well. It comes down to finding the sensors and networking them in so that everything is on the GO7 Screen. Who knows... If Im able to get the basics between tach, engine temp, fuel economy, fuel gauge maybe I'll just take out the yamaha gauges and mount that in the dash. My homemade Connext

Last edited:

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too would be interested to see if either the Connext system or the engines themselves could be tied into my NMEA 2000 network so that I could use my Lowrance equipment to monitor performance etc. I have not been able to find much info out there that helps.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Joey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So the end result here is that the Yamaha 190 FSH's 1.8L high output engine doesn't offer a nmea 2000 port to connect with?

Also, does anyone know if the t-top frame is hollow from top to bottom? I'd like to add a fixed VHF radio but need to find out a little more about the t-top frame before I go trying to install a antenna. I do know there are holes at each joint but I'm not sure if these go all the way through and furthermore I'm not sure if a hole can be drilled where the bottom and console plates are.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is no NMEA 2000 port to connect to the engine.

But.... Theres always a but. You can build a NMEA backbone and connect a fuel level sensor, fuel flow sensor, heat sensors, etc in order to get the GO7 pretty fully functional.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is no NMEA 2000 port to connect to the engine.

But.... Theres always a but. You can build a NMEA backbone and connect a fuel level sensor, fuel flow sensor, heat sensors, etc in order to get the GO7 pretty fully functional.
That's what I did, but I just added fuel flow sensors so that I could get that data into my HDS 8. There are analog to nmea convertors that I had researched (a few years ago now) that in theory could tap into other wires to get rpm, temps, etc, but they were not cheap and so I've passed on that part for now. I was hoping that someday somebody would make a nmea shield for arduino and it looks like there is some progress in that area, but seems like it would still be a challenge to actually get it all working.

Trussell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im glad you brought this up. Ive been trying to teach myself about these since we got our boat. I know that to use the full functionality of the go7, I need to find out if my 2014 has a NMEA2000 data wire on the engine. The guy from Simrad seemed to believe so. He said that if it didn't (and he couldn't see it not being there) I could use a starter kit (lowrance is same Co. as Simrad) to hook up for full engine monitoring.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-reg-NEMA-Networking-System/944739.uts?productVariantId=1215072&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=39-77307251-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02798012&rid=20

Any more information anyone has on these would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure what type of questions I should be asking.

All I know is that I'd like to control my stereo/audio, GPS, and have chart plotting, fish finding. If everything else can work (engine monitoring) I'd have this ordered tonight.

since some of this info is available through the M&T buttons on the tach LCD screen can I safely assume that info is coming through a nema2000 wire?
Any luck on this? I am looking for this setup too