• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Slolom skiing behind Scarab jet boat

Talonracr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey I’m looking at buying a 2018 Scarab 195 with 250hp Rotax engine. How does this boat handle pulling a slolom skier? I’ve heard it’s very squirly and slolom skiing it’s good behind it!?

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It's not bad but different if you skied behind a prop Boat before. The inner wake is much more rough and choppy due to the jet propulsion, I usually stay outside the wake were it's smooth. Pulling out of the water was good and the boat handled good. It's the same with tubes , choppy and more spray in your face. I would not ever go back to a prop boat again because of shallow water I boat in, I don't have to worry about raising the motor all the time. So bottom line is it's different but I wanted a jet because it makes boating easier in shallow water and my family and friends are not professional skiers.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2017 250hp 195

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It certainly isn't the same as being pulled by a really nice, fully inboard, competition ski boat. Those boats are purpose built for one thing only - pulling skiers, and they are awesome at it. With that being said, I slalom ski behind our Yamaha AR195 quite a bit and it does a very good job. As others have said, right behind the boat is a bit more choppy just because of the jet wash. Hole shots are awesome and take some driver skill not to overpower the skier. The skier can pull the back of the boat around a bit, but that can also be overcome with some driver skill/experience.

If you are one that skis a couple times a week all summer long - Yes, you would probably benefit from a purpose built ski boat. But if you are more like me (only ski a dozen times all summer long), your jet boat will do just fine.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
F Y I I make a very effective full time steering system that is what you need for water sports as well as slow speed and high speed tracking and turning .

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Nice but , Doesn't that put undue stress on that jet and void a warranty?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hell no ! I have been building that style for years actually if someone ever tells you that let me know because it is a total LIE!
The boat rocks with that system and it won't interfere with or cancel out reverse operation or contact the hood when backing or make water spray behind the boat. There are plenty of people here who have this on their boat so do a search and talk to them. If you have a female operator it will be very well received by them also.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice but , Doesn't that put undue stress on that jet and void a warranty?
I think the only time in 10 years I've heard about a fin causing damage to the nozzle somebody ran over a submerged concrete block and somebody else reversed into a hard shore (I've bounced mine on the sand/gravel a few times while anchoring stern in with no ill effects) now that's Yamaha so hoping Scarab didn't make their nozzles out of an inferior material normal use and even an occasional "incident" shouldn't be a problem.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC don't you sell these to seadoo owners also, isn't that a similar nozzle as the PWC users, how many would you guesstimate are in use?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes the steering is for the 4 tec setup All the sea doo 4 stroke pumps regardless of the name on the boat, one system works on a single or a twin engine and I have never seen a single issue with the 4 tec nozzles because they are very sturdy and I believe a lot stronger than the Yamaha nozzles I have been doing this for over 15 years so My jet ski steering is direct mount stainless fins and hell I pull 5 people in 2 tubes tied in tandem snap them around and do it while driving on my back steering with my feet with ease I might add just don't tell the head nurse at the nursing home she yells at me all the time. I was looking at some new nozzles for the 4 tec system and they were on line for less that 70 dollars each so it's a no brainer get steering that works all the time that is predictable and reliable drive the boat with a big improvement in steering response , improve the versatility of the boat and sit back and enjoy yourself out on the water even during deceleration!

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well damn you put me straight LOL!!!! well I'm interested and I do have female drivers so getting some better steering specially in low-speed would be great! Any more information and pricing on a single-engine Scarab

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I have another question? what makes yours better than the thrust vector, I see yours is rigid and that one flexes up and down out of the way

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is it possible to take the nozzle off and ship it to you and have it installed?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The answer is EVERYTHING, I make steering that works all the time , if you want steering that is totally awesome, not huge or intrusive, one that can help with high speed water sports and slow speed docking install my steering and now your boat is predictable, maneuverable and way more fun.
If you want the JET BOAT FEEL just leave the boat alone you already have that, if you want the most steering enhancement at all speeds with instant response to the helm then there is only one real full time steering system It will transform your boat give you feedback in the wheel like a regular boat and make it maneuver quickly and predictably. You will actually smile when you start taking it to task and enjoy the boat more than ever I even install the system on your nozzle for you at no extra charge if you ship the nozzle to me so all you need to do is put the nozzle back on the boat and go play.
https://cobrajetsteering.com/rotax-4tek-products/

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ok great, do I just go to the website or call first. I would love to have It installed and shipped back ready to go.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No problem just email me when you are ready to order and I will send you an invoice and you just mail the nozzle to me. I handle the rest

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well damn you put me straight LOL!!!! well I'm interested and I do have female drivers so getting some better steering specially in low-speed would be great! Any more information and pricing on a single-engine Scarab
I never had a Scarab but have had Cobras mounted "all the way down at all speeds" in my old 190 and new 240 Yammies.
In 190 - in terms of comfort when pulling skiers/wakeboarders - the difference is day and night.
Jeff knows what the hell he is doing, LOL, and he is not shy to tell! Do it - you will love it.

--

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I never had a Scarab but have had Cobras mounted "all the way down at all speeds" in my old 190 and new 240 Yammies.
In 190 - in terms of comfort when pulling skiers/wakeboarders - the difference is day and night.
Jeff knows what the hell he is doing, LOL, and he is not shy to tell! Do it - you will love it.

--
Thanks for feedback, it would be nice to have better control

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length