• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sloppy steering on 2016 AR240

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just throwing this one out there. Wondering if the 1/4 turn in my steering wheel without effect, is common and/or expected?
This week I seemed to notice it more than ever. Perhaps because I am getting to know the boat better. But I can turn the wheel from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock with zero response. Is it a matter of the new steering cables stretching out a bit, and is there and adjustment to bring her responsiveness up a bit?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mines the same way. The nozzles move and no cable slack but there's no reaction from the boat until you get past a certain point. Maybe it's the keel. I'd like to hear from others.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mines the same way. The nozzles move and no cable slack but there's no reaction from the boat until you get past a certain point. Maybe it's the keel. I'd like to hear from others.
You know, I did not even bother to see if the nozzles moved. Thanks for that. That at least eliminates cable stretch or some other mechanical issue.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Jet Boat... that explains it LoL :D

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is the same. Have to turn the wheel more and or give more throttle relative to a prop.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd say it's probably normal but we notice it to be more unresponsive due to having nearly 2 turns lock to lock instead of 90 degrees in each direction. It takes a bit of nozzle movement from center before anything happens at all with the boat. Even with the old boats it takes about the same nozzle movement but it is achieved with just a little wheel movement.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you guys / gals feel and hear any type of clicking from the steering wheel when turned very hard ?I do and was wondering if that means anything?

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Putting in my 2 cents if I'm turning the wheel between 10 and 2 I'm overcorrecting and the boat is everywhere, low speed docking I use the throttle more than the steering

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Putting in my 2 cents if I'm turning the wheel between 10 and 2 I'm overcorrecting and the boat is everywhere, low speed docking I use the throttle more than the steering
This loose feeling between 10 and 2 is at high speed, not low. @Jay Petzold

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The keel overrides the rudder at speed and the rudder is shielded by the keel since it is so wide, so it takes a bit of movement to direct the water and turn the boat, thus the Magnum A K steering and A K fangs , to solve that problem in both slow and high speed.
picture provided by @Chief411 today and his opinion of the system
" Just installed a set of Cobra Fins with Fangs on my 2016 242. What a difference they make, especially at slower speeds. Easy and took approximately 30 minutes to install."

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I finally understand what you guys are talking about... Took her out today (almost broken in), and yes there is that (new-to-me) feel of some play/slop in the steering that is kind of hard to describe. Don't particularly care for it, but it is not going to bother me either...
AKs and Fangs should cure it!

--

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I finally understand what you guys are talking about... Took her out today (almost broken in), and yes there is that (new-to-me) feel of some play/slop in the steering that is kind of hard to describe. Don't particularly care for it, but it is not going to bother me either...

--
Went out tonight and I feel the problem at speed I get the sloppy steering from 11:30 to 12:30, 10- 2 is way too much though

Chief411

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

--
The fins will make a big difference, especially at slow speed. Docking is easier and has faster response at speed.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the fins and fangs and they do NOT cure it at all. They help alot, especially low speed, but the slop between 10 and 2 is there at high speed. If it's worse stock, I don't remember. Unless you crank the wheel she ain't listening very well. Just the nature of the beast and I can get used to it. Just wish it were tighter and had zero slop. And if I'm asking for perfection, then I'd ask for less steering effort at high speed as well. :)

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10 and 2 are just round numbers that were using. Mine is more like 10:47 - 1:13. AM!!!!!!!!!! :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Try having someone turn the wheel while you hold the nozzles and see if the wheel is turning free and not having an immediate effect on moving your nozzles, this is what it sounds like you are saying, if this is the situation the rack may need to be adjusted, Yamaha put in a rack and pinion steering helm in that boat thus the wheel travel is about twice the distance of the other helms so a small amount of play in the cables or gears can equate to a large amount of free travel in the wheel.

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10 and 2 are just round numbers that were using. Mine is more like 10:47 - 1:13. AM!!!!!!!!!! :)
Just trying to help out and compare how my 2016 matches up against others, excess play in the steering might be something to talk to the dealer about, trust me I already have a laundry list of questions for them