• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Small Fiberglass Crack

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I was cleaning my boat yesterday I discovered this small 2x2 inch light spider crack on the hull of my boat. Not happy about it, but it seems harmless. I still would like to address it before the season officially begins. Is this a DIY or should I take it in to get it repaired?

If DIY, any suggestions on how to fix it?image.jpeg

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If it's below the water line, definitely get it repaired. I'm not sure about the process for fixing it though.

The next-logical question becomes what caused it in the first place and how to stop it in the future. I can't tell from the picture where it may be on the boat, but a couple of suggestions are: first, look at what is directly opposite that spot inside the boat? That small spider crack looks to be coming from the inside out.

Second, if it's in the bow, just above the waterline and below the anchor locker, the most-likely culprit is an anchor that came loose and bounced off the inside of the hull.

Again, hard to tell from your picture, but worth investigating.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the help. Before buying the magicezy I have sent a few pictures to the fiberglass shop to see what they'll quote me. Some of you have been asking about the size and location of the crack. I took a light switch frame and tape it to the boat. The crack is directly in the middle of the frame and it's about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. I'm not sure what caused it to begin with.image.jpegimage.jpeg

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks like it's from impact.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone had Yamaha cover a crack in the hull? I have a 2014 242 limited s, took it to Bimini and the anchor pretty much cracked all the way through pushing the gel coat and fiber glass all the way on the outside and it's now spider cracking all over!!! It keeps getting worse now as we are trailering it home.

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone had Yamaha cover a crack in the hull? I have a 2014 242 limited s, took it to Bimini and the anchor pretty much cracked all the way through pushing the gel coat and fiber glass all the way on the outside and it's now spider cracking all over!!! It keeps getting worse now as we are trailering it home.
I don't see why or how Yamaha would accept blame for that. Make sure you get the anchor out of the locker so it's not still bouncing in there.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We did already have. It started as just that smaller white spot but putting it on the trailer has made it much worse.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The damage was already done to the under layers of fiberglass. Being on the trailer is just accelerating the visible damage in the gel coat because the glass behind it is damaged.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like we will be most likely fixing it at home in the drive way! Gonna drop it off and see about warranty but planning for the worst.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would like to see a pic of the anchor locker inside.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will get some more when we get home 4 hours to go!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might be worth looking into your insurance. Get an estimate first.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd imagine that there's a bit of glass work to do behind the damaged gel coat cracking.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Might be worth looking into your insurance. Get an estimate first.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd imagine that there's a bit of glass work to do behind the damaged gel coat cracking.
Luckily the wife did paint and body work for 10 years so she can get it done, just not wanting to do the painting part.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like it will need to be ground out and new glass laid to strengthen from the inside.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like it will need to be ground out and new glass laid to strengthen from the inside.
Yeah that's what we talked about, we actually cleaned it off at the last stop its not as bad as it looks in all the spots it's mainly just the gel coat spider cracking except for the spot the anchor pushed through. Shouldn't be too bad.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't see how Yamaha would cover that under warranty as they would likely only do so if there were a defect. Given that the anchor was bouncing around in there, they'd likely say that's damage caused by owner.

My recommendation is to not waste your time trying to claim a warranty, but go the insurance route and get it repaired.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's the inside if the locker and the outside cleaned.

Attachments

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha covers gel coat cracks if there is a defect in the glass behind it such as a void or some other issue.