• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Smoking MR-1 engine cause?

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all, I went with a buddy to do an on water test for a low hour 232 with the MR-1 engines. The boat looked liked it was in good shape but I noticed that the starboard engine seemed to be smoking more than normal. Any thoughts on what would cause it and how to diagnose it?

Here is a video I took while we were out:

Last edited:

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was it winterized or fogged that you know of? If it's coming out of hibernation might just be the fogging burning off. Is there any extra/odd smell? Smoking in the engine compartment?

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It was coming out of winterization but the owner said he had already run it previously for about 20 mins or so. We had it out at WOT for a good 15 minutes and it was smoking when we went through the long no wake on the way back as well. No odd smell other than just typical engine exhaust, no smoke that I saw in the engine compartment. Both engines still got up to 10k RPM.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd say it's probably nothing to worry about. Looks like steam rather than smoke. If he was running WOT for a while and then you guys go no wake probably just the engine coming down off temp.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you can do compression check, awesome. If the engine can reach Max RPM with no Ill effects and oil level send constant, i would also consider it OK.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I couldn't see the smoke,
did you see any soot build up near the exhaust baffle? many members see black soot when the plugs need to be changed,

if he did fog it heavy it could certainly be burning off or the fogging oil fouled the plugs,

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
To answer the above:

It was definitely smoke and not steam, I noticed it right when he fired the boat up at the launch, all the way through idle, could see it dissipating when he had it at WOT and then at slow speed on the way back to the ramp. My first key was the black soot around the exhaust port on that side - other side didn't show any signs and did not smoke nearly as much. I would be able to do a compression check as I have the gauge sitting in my garage but it might be hard to get back to find the time to pull all the plugs. Not sure if the marina fogged the engines (that was my first thought) but the owner said all sparks plugs were just replaced. The video doesn't show it well but it was pretty apparent and much more than anything that was coming out of the other engine. You could also clearly smell it sitting in the back of the cockpit at low speeds.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Couple of questions. Did you check the oil level? Had it been changed recently? Possibly overfilled? Any signs of oil around the air filter? I assume the compression was ok if you ran at 10,200 rpm's at WOT, ruling out a ring issue. Just guessing here but if not a bad ring or maybe a valve seal, then too much oil. Check the color of the plugs.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Couple of questions. Did you check the oil level? Had it been changed recently? Possibly overfilled? Any signs of oil around the air filter? I assume the compression was ok if you ran at 10,200 rpm's at WOT, ruling out a ring issue. Just guessing here but if not a bad ring or maybe a valve seal, then too much oil. Check the color of the plugs.
I didn't check the oil or filter but in hindsight probably should have. I don't think this was something new like overfilled oil since the soot around the exhaust port seemed like it had been building up for awhile. The current owner has only put a out 10 hours on the boat and the previous owner only about another 50 on top of that. The boat has barely been used so it seemed odd to see that much smoke and soot build up. The boat did seem to max out on RPMs but only hit 42 mph. Not sure what the top speed on that model is supposed to be - granted it had 3/4 fuel and three guys on board.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you should have 10K rpm and with a clean bottom and sea level about 45-50 on gps with a full load of weight,

If you were only at 42mph it would raise an eyebrow, did you happen to look at the impellers, just something to justify the missing mph, it wouldn't concern me if they were beat up,

the mr1 also has a reputation for having a fuel injector go bad, not sure if that would make it smoke but it would definitely make the oil smell like fuel, which if fuel would raise the oil level enough to make it to the air filter, this is a very far down the list but since you haven't bought it yet something to consider,

if they didn't gap the new plugs it could certainly be an issue, mr1's are very sensitive about plugs,

check out the list of issues with these models in my signature below,

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm off to maybe buy my 4th mr1. Boat has an issue with exhaust valves pitted (400hr fresh water). $800 in head work with another 600 in valves and seals. The ski had an issue with #3 with the plug threads and low vacuum on that cylinder. Tomorrow I'm going to compression test, sample 20mL oil, read codes with yds, and give it a 20 minute of wot test. Then I'll sample the oil one more time. I'm only buying if it works perfectly. The boat ran 10k rpms, hit 50, then wouldn't start. Compression on 3 was 100 less than 1 and 4. Milkshake oil that i either missed on the dip stick, or has settled out. I checked it before the test ride. You can't buy a new engine from Yamaha.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was leaning toward steam, because it looked like it dissipated quickly and that's the area of a hot water outlet. Plus at the low speed in the video, the exhaust is under water and I didn't think smoke would come out like that. However, if you are seeing black soot, that changes it for me. I'd definitely get a compression test. Maybe see about pulling the spark plugs on that engine and see if they have oil on them? That could be done during the compression test.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I would have though steam too based on the air temp that day but the soot around the exhaust and smell made me think otherwise. The smoke started out darker when it first started up and then seemed to get whiter once we were running for a few minutes. I will see if we can get back to do a compression test, inspect spark plugs, check the oil levels and air filter for oil.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If smoke got whiter, I would definitely check the oil... Make sure you don't have froth or water in there.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought the video looked like steam as well, but based on your observations I believe you. I don't think it's fogging oil however. That goes away pretty quickly and you would assume if it was winterized in that manner the same person would have done both engines, i.e. they should both smoke for about the same amount of time.

You mentioned you could smell it as well. What did it smell like? Extra fuel or burning oil?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would just stay away from the boat. If you have any concerns and they come to fruition you will be hating your self for a long time. Just find another one.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like a typically MR-1 to me. Mine smoked a little bit but nothing to be over concerned about. Those motors are pretty bullet proof if taken care of. Do a compression check and let that decide.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat smoked exactly like that video! It was an ECU issue that was not cycling the injector like mentioned above. a new ECU is $1000 +/-
Symptoms to help diagnose -- like others stated -- Fuel smell in oil and I also had oil in my air filter based on too much oil (Extra fuel in oil). I am pretty confident that is your issue. The plugs and gap is an option as well, but it would not surprise me if it is the ECU

CP