• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

so I tinted my own windows

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im posting this for two reasons, first to brag on my sweet new super cheap mod, secondly to hopefully encourage some brave diyers to tackle this too. I have been drooling on some pics you gents have been posting of some great looking boats with tint. So I figured I would give it a shot. I didn't take as many pics during the process as I would have liked, but I had my hands full.

I opted to remove the glass all together, which I believe was the key to my success here. Im sure a professional tint guy could do it without, but it made it possible for me to get it laid down without wrinkles or bubbles in a clean environment in my house. So step 1 was to remove the small screws that hold the aluminum trim together. I started with the middle window because it was the smallest, and I wasn't sure if they would be glued in. It came out easily so I continued. They can be stubborn but I took my time and wiggled the frame work until the glass came free. One by one I removed the glass pieces and placed them CAREFULLY in the spare bedroom where my two year old couldn't play with them!

I purchased the tint at my local oreillys. I read some reviews on the tint I bought online, most were mixed, but I think most peoples terrible experiences were due to lack of patience and ability. They had truck/suv sized, which came in a 30"x10' roll. I knew I would need the wider stuff for the curved windows to allow me to get it in one piece. The rolls were 28.95 each (I bought two) and I also purchased their install kit, which consists of a spray bottle full of soapy water, a lint free cloth, and a squeegee. Ill keep the squeegee and skip that part of the purchase next time.

My next step was prep. The glass has to be spotless! I scrubbed it down with windex and a bristled brush twice, then scraped it gently with a razor blade, wiped it off completely, then once more with the brush. A thorough final wipe down, followed with a pass with the lint free cloth.

Next I unrolled the tint and made rough cuts leaving several inches all the way around. The flat pieces could probably have been cut to exact at that time, but I opted to trim after it was stuck on there so I wouldn't have to worry about placement when the tint went on. I soaked my slider with the soap mix and slapped the tint on the window with the adhesive side facing me, then used scotch tape to separate the tint from the protective clear covering. It peels off, leaving the tint on the sliding glass door. Then I sprayed down both the inside of the boat window, and the tint. Then we just carefully peel the tint from the door making sure it doesn't try to roll itself back up, and lay it on the glass.

This is where it got fun. The flat windows were an absolute breeze. Squeegee the bubbles out, razor the edges, boom, done. The curved ones took a little more work. The main thing is to take your time, used lots of soap on top of the tint so the squeegee would glide along easily. I had to use some heat on some stubborn parts in the curve and just patiently work it down. The first one took several hours. On the second curved one I made sure the tint was very relaxed and started in the curve instead of the flat area. It still took about an hour and some heat, but I got it done.

I let the finished pieces "cure" in the spare room for a day, as the tint is still very easily lifted when its fresh. Then it was a matter of reinstalling the glass. I had help, and I needed it. Guiding the glass back into the channels alone would be difficult, and dangerous. I pulled the molding out and installed it onto the glass, then pushed them back into the aluminum trim. Used soapy water for ease, and it all went back in smoothly.

I am very pleased with the results! For around $75.00 it will rank as one of my cheapest mods. Let me know what you think!

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good write up...was it hard to re-allign the windows back after?

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not really. Like I said, the trick was to put the rubber molding on the glass, then push it back into the aluminum trim. Little soapy water and it did fine. Main thing was making sure the moldings were aligned right so they would meet tightly in the corners.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks really good. Mine are tinted also. But if I had to do it again I wouldn't. Doesn't make the water or debree in the water clear while looking through unlike if you were standing up imo. But hey great job...how many beer job is it

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I considered that, and we even boat at night occasionally, but I would say 95% of the time I sit on my bolster and look over the windshield. 12 pack job, unless you have as much help as I did!

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Very Nice..

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Awesome job. I may follow your lead and do mine.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
When you say heat what did you use? A blow dryer?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great. Nice work.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Looks awesome, definitely on my list of things I want done, but I don't know that I have the patience you do.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Boats need tinted windows even more than cars. Looks great.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@skrip345
When you took your frame apart, did you take the whole frame off or just take the top rail off, then the sides?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@skrip345 ........... INCREDIBLE ......... Both an excellent mod, but how well you executed ! :D
Nice going, Son ! Well done ! <Thunderous Loud crowd applause is now heard !!!!!!!!!!!!!>
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Mille Lacs, MN [flag]

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Impressive, both the write up and patience required!! I'm thinking this will be a winter job for me...

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@skrip345
When you took your frame apart, did you take the whole frame off or just take the top rail off, then the sides?
Top rail, then sides. Only the mouldings came out of the bottoms rails for the reinstall of the glass.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice work! ALMOST inspires me to do mine - but Chris and I almost killed each other wallpapering a four-foot by four-foot bathroom. We'd send each other to the abyss trying to do that job...

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Look Great!!:winkingthumbsup"