• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

so I tinted my own windows

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@skrip345 , You inspired me...

Well, you and that blazing ball of fire we worship. Last time out it was 119 degrees. I was watching the heat simmer the dash in the boat :eek:

The only good thing was that I was able to toast sandwiches in the upper glovebox (yes, the one that doesn't lock)

Of course my wife was quick to point out that my son in law didn't seem to have that issue with his fancy-ass new Malibu :vomit: :asshat: HE has tinted windows.....yeah, yeah, yeah :banghead:

So, if you would be so kind as to fill in a few details, I would appreciate it immensely. What percentage tint did you use? Is 30" needed, can I go 24" (boat's in storage or I'd measure) Was there a brand name? Any other product I should consider?

If anyone else has two cents, now's the time to throw it in the pot :bookworm: I'll be doing a bit of on-line shopping next Wednesday...you know, Black Friday in July? Amazon has quite a few different types/sizes available. I'm braced for major disappointment, but that's just me. Our mailman prides himself in his ability to destroy our mail. I just hope it comes via UPS :sour:

I'll be removing the glass and bringing it home with us after our next trip out. This ought to be fun :nailbiting:

Thanks - and thanks for sharing...I was about to shell out whatever it took to get the windows tinted, bear in mind I was suffering from heat stroke at the time :rolleyes:

BTW, your boat looks awesome! :winkingthumbsup"

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks nice with tinted windows, but my eyes are getting bad in lower light and I like boating in the evenings so I guess its out for me...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks nice with tinted windows, but my eyes are getting bad in lower light and I like boating in the evenings so I guess its out for me...
That really depends on how dark you go with the tint. I don't want to make them too dark, just a little darker. I'm not sure if 50% is right or if 35% is or 20%......5% is way too dark for my liking.
I'd like to see the difference on a boat.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is 20% and I think it is just right. The dash and cockpit stay a lot cooler and it's not too dark to see through.

BadEphemeris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a note on this job.. On a 230SX the center folding window may look like a square or rectangle, but it's actually a trapezoid with the top of the glass about 1 inch skinnier than the bottom. I figured it out after about the 7th attempt at reassembly.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is a super old thread, but this seems really valuable to someone who would consider DIY-ing this.

I have never done this so my question is due to sheer ignorance - what makes the curve so difficult? I've read something about the heat being used to "stretch" it in the curves and it just doesn't make sense to my uneducated brain.

I have no idea how tall or long the windows are, so is this a situation of not finding material long enough to cover it (if the windows are removed)? Seems to me that the big problem is not having the space between the dash and the windows to be able to easily maneuver and apply/install properly, which is why this forum thread seems to be the best way to go about this if you are considering the DIY route.

It'd be nice to have a few more examples of this from those who have DIY'd it, or have a separate thread for "I'm in this area, who found a shop to do this and for how much", since ALL tint threads eventually reach that point.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is a super old thread, but this seems really valuable to someone who would consider DIY-ing this.

I have never done this so my question is due to sheer ignorance - what makes the curve so difficult? I've read something about the heat being used to "stretch" it in the curves and it just doesn't make sense to my uneducated brain.

I have no idea how tall or long the windows are, so is this a situation of not finding material long enough to cover it (if the windows are removed)? Seems to me that the big problem is not having the space between the dash and the windows to be able to easily maneuver and apply/install properly, which is why this forum thread seems to be the best way to go about this if you are considering the DIY route.

It'd be nice to have a few more examples of this from those who have DIY'd it, or have a separate thread for "I'm in this area, who found a shop to do this and for how much", since ALL tint threads eventually reach that point.
A single direction curve isn't an issue. A compound curve is the issue. Take a sheet of paper, bend it along two axes at once and you can see how it "buckles". Window film comes in long sheets and is fairly rigid (slightly more rigid than that sheet of paper), so it doesn't like to bend in two directions at the same time. Boat windows usually have compound curves in them, leading to the need to heat and "stretch" the film in one direction to allow it to bend over the curves.

I have it in my head I'm going to attempt it this spring. I've done window tint in the past, and fought these kinds of curves. I'll try to post some pictures when I do it for some better understanding.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A single direction curve isn't an issue. A compound curve is the issue. Take a sheet of paper, bend it along two axes at once and you can see how it "buckles". Window film comes in long sheets and is fairly rigid (slightly more rigid than that sheet of paper), so it doesn't like to bend in two directions at the same time. Boat windows usually have compound curves in them, leading to the need to heat and "stretch" the film in one direction to allow it to bend over the curves.

I have it in my head I'm going to attempt it this spring. I've done window tint in the past, and fought these kinds of curves. I'll try to post some pictures when I do it for some better understanding.
Are you thinking of removing the windows to do it, or try it on the boat?

Thanks for the info on the curve, that helps. To my uneducated eye, it looks like it should be as simple as applying a decal, but reason tells me I might be missing a few things LOL

BadEphemeris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in the middle of this project now, and I'm thinking about taking the curved windows to a tint shop. The flat windows are no problem, but I just can't get a professional result on the curve. I wouldn't even attempt it with the windows in as the long part of the curve is so close to the dashboard, you can't even reach it. Just to be clear though, removing the windows isn't for the faint of heart either. Taking them out is relatively easy, but putting them back in is a serious pita.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you thinking of removing the windows to do it, or try it on the boat?

Thanks for the info on the curve, that helps. To my uneducated eye, it looks like it should be as simple as applying a decal, but reason tells me I might be missing a few things LOL
I'll be taking the glass out to tint it.