• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So it doesn't appear to be the spark plugs...need some help here - RESOLVED

Oh that's real bad. You had a lot of water somehow either from the station or in your tank and the heat and sea foam are trying to mix it all together. You also have fuel sepparation. There shouldn't be distinct layers in the fuel.

So I have the tank completely drained and towel wiped out. On question I do have is given that I just put new spark plugs in last week do you think I need to replace them again given what has happened? I haven't pulled them to look at them yet, but if they look bad can a guy clean them off with a wire brush and call it good?

I wouldn't think you would need to change the plugs but remember there is still fuel in the line and at the rail and injectors so you may have to crank it a few times to blow the bad stuff out and before it may ignite and it may run rough when it first does turn over,

I say put a few gallons in and try it out, I would take the time to pull the fuel pumps and rinse them with some good gas or at least add new gas and pump it out with the pumps just to clear them.

The one pump was drained when I pulled it to wipe out the tank. I will pump the other one out before reconnecting it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

earlier you said you had pulled the sender and looked in the tank it thought the fuel was ok, I just pulled my sender last week and looked in the tank and it was normal clearish gasoline.

is what was in the glass what you think you saw in the tank or did it milkyness totally surprise you?

The milkyness was a complete shock. I looked through the hole for the port fuel pump and the fuel looked crystal clear. What I was seeing, it turns out, was the separation that happened to the fuel. With the pumps sitting at the bottom they were actually pulling from below what looked like a false floor. I siphoned some of the bad fuel into a bucket and after 10 minutes the fuel in the bucket looked completely clear; when in reality what looked like the bottom of the white bucket was actually the milkyness.

Now for the good news...I'm going boating tomorrow!!!!!!:thumbsup: After cleaning out the tank I put 5 gallons of fresh, non ethanol gas in the tank; ran the pumps into a bucket to clear any bad gas out of them and then started cranking the engines. It took about 10 minutes before they started to catch and another couple of minutes before they would stay running enough to turn on the water from the hose. After a couple minutes on the hose they were purring away.

I want to thank everyone again for your suggestions and support in getting this resolved. This really is something I wouldn't have the courage to attempt without the support of this forum.:D

I was just rereading the whole post and you say it was running earlier and you put about 25 hours on the boat before this happened. Did you somehow get a lot of water in the tank? If that didn't happen then it came from the station like this and I would be pissed at them. Not sure if you saved the gas but I would bring it to them and show them especially if it was a lot of fuel. It ain't cheap!!!!!

Last edited:
I was just rereading the whole post and you say it was running earlier and you put about 25 hours on the boat before this happened. Did you somehow get a lot of water in the tank? If that didn't happen then it came from the station like this and I would be pissed at them. Not sure if you saved the gas but I would bring it to them and show them especially if it was a lot of fuel. It ain't cheap!!!!!

I have 30 gallons siphoned into 5 gallon gas cans. Trying to figure out what to do with it...we have a burn ban currently so that won't work!!! Pretty sure it came from the gas station like that.

I have 30 gallons siphoned into 5 gallon gas cans. Trying to figure out what to do with it...we have a burn ban currently so that won't work!!! Pretty sure it came from the gas station like that.
Around here our county has recycle centers that accept used oil, gas, electronics, batteries etc. Maybe you have similar places?

Around here our county has recycle centers that accept used oil, gas, electronics, batteries etc. Maybe you have similar places?

I asked about that at a local auto parts store and they weren't aware of any. I will ask around though as I really need to get rid of that stuff.

I asked about that at a local auto parts store and they weren't aware of any. I will ask around though as I really need to get rid of that stuff.
Try auto repair shops, or boat shops, I bet they deal with bad fuel a lot. They probably have to pay to dispose of it though.

This is why I love this forum. I hate that the problem happened but at least people on here are willing to help!

Exactly. I've posted elsewhere only to hear crickets. Here there is immediate,respectful and relevant responses. Plus a lot of fun!

If you have not got rid of that gas you can salvage most of it if you can get one of those glass water jugs. You can dump the fuel in and let it set. then siphon the top off. I would not run it in my boat but I would have no problem running the remainder in my car or lawn mower etc. Dont try to get all of it, just get close to the water seperation and stop. This way you will not be throwing it all away and probably only have 5 gallons or less to dispose of.

We have a lot of industrial shops that use a waste burner for heat. Burns anything liquid. Phone around. They will always burn that for free. Cam.

Back