• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So turns out my boat is a different color than I thought... Compound reccomendations

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I removed some of the (very faded) side graphics on my boat today. For the 2.5 years I've had it, I thought it was a nice light gray/silver color. After pulling the graphics off, it turns out my boat is like 20 shades darker, it's actually a medium gray color!

So there is some heavy compounding and polishing in my future the next few days. Any recommendations on what to use? I've got a boat cleaner wax, I suspect that won't be enough to cut through this oxidation. Planning to hit it with a wool bonnet, debating on a heavy oxidation polish vs a regular one... possibly meguiars or starbrite?

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For the money, you might want to look at Shurhold's system of buffers, pads and chemicals. They have some videos of boats that have fully chalked surfaces being restored with their Buff Magic compound.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Are you sure all the vinyl is off? From the picture, it looks like the dark gray area is higher.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you sure all the vinyl is off? From the picture, it looks like the dark gray area is higher.
I think there's still some dirt and stuff at the edge there. Only part of the vinyl was off in that picture (right side), the vinyls are fully off now, it could use a wash and such to get all the dirt off. I'd do that before I started buffing.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea that looks pretty chalky and faded (the part around where the graphic isn't). Judging by some of the videos and pictures of that vintage boat and model it should be the darker color you see underneath the vinyl. Lots of good videos out there for bringing back the luster and shine of the original gel color. You got a nice little project to hold you over during this virus stuff :)

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Wet sand with 1000 grit, 3m rubbing compound, polish, wax. If it were me, I'd find a reputable boat detailer. It's a lot of work and doing it wrong can lead to permanent gel coat damage.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper where are you with your pics showing before and after? :D

He removed his and you could see just how different it was like yours is and after some weekend work it looks brand new. Just takes some time and elbow grease.... oh and some cold beers too. :winkingthumbsup"

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm thinking I might pick up some meguiars one step boat polish. Megs claims it with a foam pad should clean it up nicely., and I should be able to get that fairly quickly from advance auto. Any input on what polishes have worked well on these boats before?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dunno. I haven't done this before, but that looks pretty faded to me. I think beyond polish. Maybe 1000 grit would be extreme, but I don't think by much. You can try the polish, but don't invest much in it... I think you are going to be back with compound or the wet sanding. Lots of work, but as @zipper can attest, with great results.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The one step stuff claims it can take out 2000 grit sandpaper, so if it ends up being that bad, I can hit it with 2000 and have a polish on hand to take that out.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm thinking I might pick up some meguiars one step boat polish. Megs claims it with a foam pad should clean it up nicely., and I should be able to get that fairly quickly from advance auto. Any input on what polishes have worked well on these boats before?
Wet sand with 1000 grit, 3m rubbing compound, polish, wax. If it were me, I'd find a reputable boat detailer. It's a lot of work and doing it wrong can lead to permanent gel coat damage.
You could try it without wet sanding. Best bet is with wet sanding if your super anal like me.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@suke might have some wisdom to share. I've seen him spending some hours on a buffer.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry guys fell asleep at 9pm last night, long day. That is the true color of the gelcoat under the graphic. The red pigments in the brown are first to fade/oxidize, leaving grey. @BlkGS , I dont think you are going to get the gelcoat restored to original without wetsanding. You can try a rotary buffer, instead of a D/A, with a wool pad, keep it moving, and 3-m heavy cut oxidation compound, but I think you will get faster results with wet sanding. Keep in mind, always err on the conservative side. I found starting with 1000 grit to be a long day of sanding. I was going to try a small area of 800 to see if it removed better without being too agressive, but I never did. So I did sand with 1000 then 2000 and then I used the polishing compound with the D/A. It took me a full weekend to do both Orange topsides. Work in small overlapping areas (2'x 2') square on the hull, use a sanding block, keep it wet and sand in a circular overlapping motion. If you start with 1000, it will not be too agressive, by the looks of your oxidation. For some it may be too much to do, my arms were sore after I finished, but the value restored was obvious. I grew up wetsanding all the FRP stuff my father made for boats and dunebuggies in the 70's, so I knew what I was getting into. Ours was oxidized pretty badly, spent her first 8 years in Va. (Lake Anna). Start off easy, try a small area with 1000, 2000 and compound. If you not getting desired results with 1000, try 800, but be careful, the gelcoat is a thin coat. Ask any questions, If I lived closer to you and were permitted to travel more than 10 miles, I would give you a hand. You have a good layer of oxidation on the gelcoat. That Taupe color is a nice color, it will come back with some elbow grease. I keep her covered and stored inside now.

20170415_141627.jpg

This is after sanding with 1000 and using 2000, you can see the oxidation being removed and reflection of the fender coming back. This was me "free handing", no block. I dont recommend it, unless there is a curved area or you have done it a lot.

20170430_102323.jpg

At the end of the weekend I was worn out but very happy with the results.

20170525_171920.jpg

Some of the tools and Marine 31 products used on the Beneteau. I did not have the Shurhold rotary buffer when I did the Yamaha. Having variable speed on the buffers is mandatory. This was the first pass with heavy cut oxidation remover with a rotary and wool pad. No polish or wax yet. Thankful I didnot have to sand.

Screenshot_20200410-145540_Gallery.jpg

20190430_140806.jpg

Marine 31 kits: Porter Cable 7424xp Marine 31 Boat Oxidation Removal Kit this is the one I got, but a rotary will remove oxidation better. Here is a link to their products. Marine 31 boat care products, boat detail products, best boat wax

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your oxidation looks to be about the same as mine. I was really hoping to not have to wetsand but your pictures have basically convinced me otherwise. I guess some test spots are in order,

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your oxidation looks to be about the same as mine. I was really hoping to not have to wetsand but your pictures have basically convinced me otherwise. I guess some test spots are in order,
In my experience and 95 percent was auto detailing (owned 3 detail shops) . Its really going to depend on what you accept. Without wet sanding you will be close to it, but it will be like a ghost flame. I would compound an area close to where the vinyl was getting the oxidized and non oxidized area to see the color difference. Use a quality compound and a good to great high speed buffer (variable speed).20200409_113040.jpg

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
always try the least aggressive method first (that makes sense). I would try the strongest compound you can get your hands on with a rotary buffer and a wool cutting pad. Do a test spot. If you dont get the results you are looking for then wed sanding is the way. I like meguairs M67. Its a decent start. They also make a stronger M91.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We did not wet sand, we used compound - but it has taken several times going around the boat (probably on 5th time now and its almost there). Not sure the wet sanding is more work! LOL Ours wasn't QUITE that oxidized but it was definitely chalky. After we finish the current (last) compounding trip around the boat we will be applying a 2-in-1 that I heard about that is supposed to do a really great job. Will post on that once we are done. :) Happy sanding!