• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So who has the most hours on their engines?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go ahead and post them up just curious to see who has the most hours out there?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know that I won't have the most. But I'm at 230 hours on our 08 AR210.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
2010 242 400'ish hours.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I was shopping for our second Yamaha, engine longetivity was a big factor in my used vs new decision.

I never found any boats with high hours. The jet ski rental guys with the same engines seem to hold the records. For the MR-1 it seemed that 1,000 to 2,000 hours without rebuilding was common in the rental skis. I found some claims of 3,000 to 4,000 hours.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I was shopping for our second Yamaha, engine longetivity was a big factor in my used vs new decision.

I never found any boats with high hours. The jet ski rental guys with the same engines seem to hold the records. For the MR-1 it seemed that 1,000 to 2,000 hours without rebuilding was common in the rental skis. I found some claims of 3,000 to 4,000 hours.
It's funny thats one of the reasons I threw this out there. I have seen big hours on skis but never really much on the boats. @GiddYupJoe 400 hours is probably the highest I have seen.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's funny thats one of the reasons I threw this out there. I have seen big hours on skis but never really much on the boats. @GiddYupJoe 400 hours is probably the highest I have seen.
With the two stroke engines it was common to read about engines needing rebuilds. Every once in a while a Yamaha four stroke fails but it is extremely rare. The BRP engines are more complex. Clutches and the cooling system were common issues with the SeaDoo varients. The biggest issue to be concerned about on Yamaha four strokes is the oil cooler on 2010 1.8s.

Skis are used differently. People tend to run them for extended periods of time and push them hard. I have often seen rider after rider taking the same ski out as soon as it comes in. Especially with the rental fleets.

Boats are used for towing but even then spend a lot of time stopped changing riders or waiting for someone to get ready. Much of the time they are simply the method of transportation to get the party to that perfect spot. So they do not accumulate the high hours of skis.

Reactions: Gym

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the two stroke engines it was common to read about engines needing rebuilds. Every once in a while a Yamaha four stroke fails but it is extremely rare. The BRP engines are more complex. Clutches and the cooling system were common issues with the SeaDoo varients. The biggest issue to be concerned about on Yamaha four strokes is the oil cooler on 2010 1.8s.

Skis are used differently. People tend to run them for extended periods of time and push them hard. I have often seen rider after rider taking the same ski out as soon as it comes in. Especially with the rental fleets.

Boats are used for towing but even then spend a lot of time stopped changing riders or waiting for someone to get ready. Much of the time they are simply the method of transportation to get the party to that perfect spot. So they do not accumulate the high hours of skis.
I would agree. Owning two skis and a boat I would say in the last two years the operating hours on the skis is double to triple that of the boat. The skis truly are toys even when taken out with the boat they are used after reaching the destination as the boat just sits there. My boat is used as mentioned as a mode of water transportation usually to a destination and the skis will be ridden practically the entire time they are on the water. Really on this question i wasn't thinking as much about the engine hours of life on the boats though just more curious how many people had.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
just turned 181 hours on our 2014 212x. it had 1/2 hour on it when we took possession

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I might own the record for the least hours over 10 years! I drive 30-45 minutes and shut it down for 5-6 hours then return to the trailer.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My guess is boat hrs tend to be lower because people don't hold on to a boat as long as a ski. The boat models have changed a lot in just 5yrs. I'm planning on keeping my boat for a long time, but, I haven't put a lot of time on it yet in 2yrs. Maybe 25hrs total.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2011 242 LS Just clicked over 320.

It had 215 when I bought it at the beginning of the summer. Thank goodness for >$2.00 fuel.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
228 on 2013 run for 2 seasons

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had 651 on my 2010 supercharged s h o when I sold it, I only have 210 and 215 on my 2014 f x h o cruisers. I would have more if they had windshield wipers damn rain!

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There is a guy on the "other" forum that posted the his "total" hours (as per YDS software) was 655.3, but his per-RPM hours totaled > 700. I think its a "bug" in how the software reads the total, in terms of it being a 16-bit integer or something, but regardless, he was way up there.

IvanS

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
114 hrs on my 2013 AR192 (3 seasons)

marc7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
400'ish (2006 AR230HO), Purchased used 4 years ago with 180 hours...