• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sold Yamaha 242 Limited-S for Scarab 255 Open

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Let me know when you figure out the go-pro cam hook-up. Also, the Simrad, when connected to wifi, says there is an update but needs SD Card, I can't seem to locate where that may be on the back of the unit, any ideas?

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yeah I'll let you know bout the go pro. I have the information on the Medallion SD card. Since Im in a 255 wake all electronics are behind the toilet holder. In yours I imagine same location under the rear panel with access via the bathroom.

I don't know what model Sim rad they supply. I would imagine its on the device itself or the rear of the main screen.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Beautiful. If I had a lift right now, I'd own that same boat (minus T-top - low bridge clearance)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys have me super intrigued!
Please keep posting - this is a very informative thread.

--

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Your welcome.

Just an update on quality control with this Scarab I purchased I've not hit the water yet for a sea trial due to poor weather conditions we've been having here. A lot of metal shavings, fiber glass dust and yes extra nuts and even a clamp laying underneath the engine block. I vacuumed, blew out all the dust and metal shavings and started to tighten every nut and bolt I could get too. Hopefully saved a bilge pump from becoming clogged with these extra steps. I also coated it with yamaha silicon protection spray.. I highly recommend this spray to keep things protected from environmental conditions.

I'm disappointed at their quality control since earlier this week I needed to order screws for the flip out seat extender since they put the wrong size in. Wait they got three screw sizes right on the seats lol

Trust me I'm not picking at all on the stuff and I've addressed all the issues myself without the dealer. Only major issues will come to them!!

I'm confident everything will work when I get it out on the water, but these extra steps hopefully keep me on the water.

PS: your go pro bluetooth setting will not work with the medallion touchscreen. Something they leave out when they sell you the product. You will need to hard wire it to the go pro.

If you have any questions please let me know.

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was able to get out at end of the month, weather was great... check out the new Scarab 255 open.

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Very smooth and quite ride!!! Were you able to get past the 6 hour break in period, thats when things really get FUN!! Loving that Simrad add on slick!!

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Curious how the 255 open compares to your old Yamaha 242?
Let me know when you figure out the go-pro cam hook-up. Also, the Simrad, when connected to wifi, says there is an update but needs SD Card, I can't seem to locate where that may be on the back of the unit, any ideas?
hey Tim, how does the 255 open compare to your Yamaha 24ft?

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was able to spend a couple days on the new 255 Open this weekend, here are my first thoughts.

Review:
Light years better slow maneuver handling, the ability to set true neutral and then turn right and turn left like a boat center pivot makes any approach simple and maintains confidence in handling in each situation that would make you anxious while handling a new boat (BTW- Reverse is backwards (R is L and L is R), I am not use to it yet, throws me off every time). Speed performance seems to be better than Yamaha, my model has the twin 200 hp version, I am still in break-in (less than 7 hrs), I am told that I should begin to see performance improvements, even more, Fast maneuvering provides feedback that gives confidence in handling, hitting waves or large boat wakes landed softly and not with the significant hard "thud" that my Yamaha would have during similar situations, which would always yield complaining from those on the bow. We rode about 5 miles south against the wind/waves on the gulf from Egmont Key to Longboat Key at 25-28mph and the experience was no big deal, where similar trips on my 242 LS which would have worn us out feeling beat to death.
Honestly, I did not expect to have as much a difference of improvement from the 242 LS to the 255 Open, but the performance in the Gulf proved the 255 to be significantly better. The 242 LS was a great lake boat, and I am sure the 255 Open would prove to be just as good or even better in fresh water, there is no doubt the 255 Open is superior in the environment of salt water. I was able to activate the wireless network card on the SIMRAD and connect to WiFi, which after inserting a micro sd card, allowed me to wirelessly upgrade the firmware from 4.0 to 5.0 easily. I will figure out more on the SIMRAD but seems fully capable for the majority of my uses. Upgraded radio sounds great, very happy with it, easy to use and control. The entire command center is great, I can't wait to dive into some of the functions and explore its capabilities. Seats and materials used look high quality and fit perfectly. A few snaps may be missing or stripped but 99% of the quality control looks

great as far as I am concerned. The cloth t-top is already coming apart from slapping into the wind, I believe it wasn't sewn well and is frayed, and should be replaced. Dealer said to send pics and they will handle while at the 15 hr service. I am very pleased with the 255 Open and happy with my purchase, I look forward to this summer creating memories with my family as well as many years into the future.
If you have any specific questions just let me know in the case or you are looking for more detail than I provided.
IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0717.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you like the "tailgate" concept on that thing? It's one of the most intriguing ideas for me on this boat. Does boarding back in from the ladder seem easier or tougher than with the 242? Do you leave it up/down while travelling? How does that ladder attach to the tailgate, and where/how does it stow when not in use?

Really cool boat! Thanks for sharing!

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The tailgate is certainly one of the best features. The Yamaha 242 LS has a rear deck that is a little smaller but similar, also with speakers and radio remote (although the radio remote and radio is much better on 255 Open).
I keep the tailgate down, I noticed in a couple of the boating magazine reviews, it suggests putting it up when underway if people sit in the back... No one felt uncomfortable or like they were going to fall out, anything older then kids are fine riding back there while the tailgate is down. The tow hook for tubing is below the seat so obviously, it was intended to ride with the tailgate down. I weigh about 235lbs and a friend is every bit of 250lbs standing on the tailgate is sturdy. Definitely get the boarding ladder that attaches to the tailgate (option), it was surprisingly sturdy with me getting in the boat when deep as well as more shallow. If the tailgate is up there is another pullout ladder to get in... but I never even used it because the tailgate was always down... unless parking in on the lift, or riding with younger kids, I would never put it up.
There is no place to store a stern anchor except under the center console, so to prepare for a stop you may move the stern anchor to the rear in anticipation of parking etc you may want to put the tailgate up so it doesn't fall out etc.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent feedback. Thank you sir.

That tailgate is really an interesting feature!

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The optional tailgate reboarding ladder looks like a must have if leaving tailgate down while swimming off of the back (which would be always). Otherwise that is a big jump up from water to tailgate. Is that optional ladder in the way with tailgate up? Does it flop around? This video at 2:40 looks like ladder would flop around while underway

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It does dangle, but I would not say flop around. I never heard or saw it slapping back and forth, I would imagine it could, but I never noticed it. You could easily remove it and add it back when needed, but I haven't seen the need so far it has been fine.

p montgomery

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I had a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S, great boat, used it mostly in lakes or rivers around Gainesville, FL. A few times went down to the gulf around Anna Maria Island. Not a great boat in the gulf, but fine for the temporary purpose. But, fortunate enough to get a place on AMI and I wanted a center console boat that would be flexible and fun for family and kids. Enter the Scarab 255 Open ID.
Went with twin 200, and just about every option, looking to surf and wake some this summer. I never had any issues with my Yamaha, hope to not have issues with the 255 Open, but certainly, have some concerns after reading some of the posts here.
I have a lot more to read about how to care for Scarab Sea Doo's vs Yamaha, and I will put forth the time prior to delivery (which is looking like May), but if anyone has support or advise just chime in.
My dealer is Sky Powersports (or lighting?) in Port Richey, everything seems to be fine, they have been helpful and was good on the price, the transaction was smooth and pressure free, I tend to like to work on my timeline and they allowed me to do that.
I went with the Black/grey with the Cognac interior... the other 255's in those colors on this forum looks great with those colors... but I haven't seen any 255 Open in that color yet.
Good to be back, I hung around when I got the 2015 Yamaha, always good information here when needed.

-Tim
been surfing around this web sight with questions of my own. I am torn between the Scarab 255 Open and the Yamaha 210 FSH. Now that you have had you 255 for a while what is your impressions? I have heard good and bad about both boats and I like different things about both boats. If I could put a power pole on the Scarab or the Scarab back seat in a Yamaha I would be set !! $$ not a big deal I want to get it right Thanks for any input I will be using for fishing and just cruising around down in SW FL

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am still a big fan of my 255, it is a super dry boat and does much better in the gulf waves. The 242 is great on a lake. I will say the 255 is a little snug with more than 9-10, it is rated for 13, but snug moving around with bags of food and towels etc. I just moved my 255 from dry dock back to my boat lift, as I was getting a new sea wall & dock etc. Even in the cold (Florida kind of cold) and wind it was fun and really gets me excited about spring/summer coming up. Performance is more than enough, but my male testosterone makes me really want the new 300hp engines, but they are not needed at all. The new hard top would be preferred over the canvas t-top cover I currently have, everything else is perfect. Good luck. -Tim

p montgomery

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am still a big fan of my 255, it is a super dry boat and does much better in the gulf waves. The 242 is great on a lake. I will say the 255 is a little snug with more than 9-10, it is rated for 13, but snug moving around with bags of food and towels etc. I just moved my 255 from dry dock back to my boat lift, as I was getting a new sea wall & dock etc. Even in the cold (Florida kind of cold) and wind it was fun and really gets me excited about spring/summer coming up. Performance is more than enough, but my male testosterone makes me really want the new 300hp engines, but they are not needed at all. The new hard top would be preferred over the canvas t-top cover I currently have, everything else is perfect. Good luck. -Tim
Thanks for you input. I am really leaning towards the Scarab but worried about some of the issues others have had but am to the belief that was mostly in the older models. I love the seating in the Scarab it is like a Cadillac vs Yamaha 210 FSH. I am getting to the age that the big engine thing is not as important as it used to be. I have had all the fast boats around home IN Baja Checkmate and am looking for our retirement boat for fishing and running over to Ft Myers Beach to go out to eat. I really appreciate your help I do not want to make the wrong decision then get he look from my husband if something goes wrong !! He really favors the Yamaha one of the reasons is the power pole on the back so he does not have to mess with the anchor. I am trying to come up with a way to make it work on the Scarab Thanks again

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ever since I saw a recreational center console at the Lake Cumberland Poker Run 3 years ago, I've been intrigued. Scarab didn't have one at the show last year. They sure did this year though. Really sharp looking boat in white/teal exterior and tan/black interior. The wife and I were able to really look this one over pretty close. We aren't in the market yet, however posed as if we were to get onboard. Owning a jetboat already eased the play on that one a little......Anywho, I must admit, I'll be VERY hard pressed to choose between a 242X and a 255 Open ID. Similar price tags, with very different layouts. I really like the layout of the center console, and the rear "tailgate" just looks amazing to use when lounging or getting onto/off of the boat at docks.

A few questions:
  1. How do you keep from dropping the ladder with the tailgate down in deep water? Looks like physically removing the boarding ladder could lead to dropping the thing in the water, and it sinking to the bottom. Any issues with that?
  2. Hows the shade on a hot day. Seems like the only shade available is from the T-Top. This is the wifes only real complaint with the setup. I suppose we could easily add an umbrella, but didn't know if was a non-issue.
  3. How are the seats in the sun? That black/Tan color combo looked amazing, but VERY hot as well. Any thoughts?
  4. How do you like the CC "workflow" when docking/etc? Is it actually any easier with access directly to the side of the boat instead of having to lean over/on a windshield/tower?
  5. Hows the quality/workmanship been? any warranty items? Anything break/not work like it was supposed to?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for you input. I am really leaning towards the Scarab but worried about some of the issues others have had but am to the belief that was mostly in the older models. I love the seating in the Scarab it is like a Cadillac vs Yamaha 210 FSH. I am getting to the age that the big engine thing is not as important as it used to be. I have had all the fast boats around home IN Baja Checkmate and am looking for our retirement boat for fishing and running over to Ft Myers Beach to go out to eat. I really appreciate your help I do not want to make the wrong decision then get he look from my husband if something goes wrong !! He really favors the Yamaha one of the reasons is the power pole on the back so he does not have to mess with the anchor. I am trying to come up with a way to make it work on the Scarab Thanks again
The 210 FSH is a nice boat, no doubt. However, I do not see it as a competition for Scarab 255 open!
Maybe if it had the 1.8l engines it would be somewhat closer... but Yamaha decided to use the TR-1s instead.

--

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have had 2 Yamaha boats previously, and 2 sets of jetskis over the past 30 years and love the brand and the quality, I looked at the FSH, but it really doesn't compare to the 255 Open. One of the best things about a Scarab is the slow speed handling, easily 100x better than Yamaha's, if you haven't experienced it, you must. You mentioned your in Ft Myers, I live in Gainesville but have a place at AMI, in the coming weeks I am happy to meet up with you to go for a ride and see how it handles, I have the fishing package, you can see how everything works... happy to do it, just let me know.
-Tim