• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SOLVED! - Problem with fueling - where to start troubleshooting? (non-Yamaha jet boat)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I solved it. I'm so happy!

It surprised me, the issue was fill line/hose. My cap vent line was fine upon inspection, the fill line was partially clogged by a broken(?) valve (tank side). See below for details.
I did not address the carbon cartridge circuit at all, but I think it is irrelevant for filling speed when pumping gas, at least in the setup I'm dealing with, but I'm pretty sure it is also the case for Yamaha as it is the same system - fill cap vent and carbon canister on a separate circuit ((I'm almost sure of that, but would need to confirm the fill cap vent). Basically, when everything is working as it should the vent built-in the fill cap vents the air evacuating the tank while filling it with gas.

Here is what I did, after discussion with @TeenGee (thank you, brother!):

1. Scoped the fill hose/line with a borescope; at approximately the distance where I would be hitting the tank valve(s) I saw a white "valve" inside the hose, couldn't get pass that; that was a major clue.

2. I climbed inside the boat (yes, wearing long sleeves... lol), managed to disconnect double clamps and the hose, which was hell-ish, working through a small hatch where I could only fit one arm in.
1652659896058.jpeg

3. This is what I saw inside - a crooked valve:
1652660107840.jpeg

4. I removed the plastic white valve with a special long liers tool I happened to have with me; it was (further) damaged in the process albeit likely already damaged - as it was not working:
1652660155757.jpeg

5. I tested the fill hose snaking a fish/wire puller - it went through - I realized at that point the bad valve was likely the issue!
1652660705112.jpeg

6. I then tested the vent line/hose; I could not get the borescope in through the cap vent opening, so I disconnected it and tested with the wire puller: that line was clear; I could also blow air into this hose and hear it exit at the cap.
1652660836066.jpeg

At that point, I was rather optimistic, so I did not bother to investigate the carbon cartridge circuit.

[As an aside - I had one of the carbon cartridge hoses inadvertently kinked/obstructed in the AR240 during my wakesurfing ballast installation project; I filled the boat with gas with no ill effects at least once or twice before I corrected the issue; that makes me think that circuit is. not doing much during fill-ups. ]

I rode to the gas station and to my delight was able to fill up the PORT tank with almost 80 gal which added up to what was in corresponding well with the full stated capacity.

I was tempted to check the STRBD fill hose, but didn;t; it is not giving me any trouble at this point and it would had been another adventure of crawling inside the boat bowels, which I was not ready for. Will wait and see.

For the time being - total success!

Thank you all, much appreciated the advice and ideas, love this forum!!!

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is one thing a surveyer could miss, but should not have. Glad you found the issue. They did not check that part of the fuel system at the fuel dock during the sea trial.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is one thing a surveyer could miss, but should not have. Glad you found the issue. They did not check that part of the fuel system at the fuel dock during the sea trial.
Yes, that was missed. There was more to it, too, as the boat was supposedly delivered with two full tanks but when I launched here in NJ after hauling it down from the Cape it showed a conspicuous list to STRD. Of course now I know why, it was due to the PORT tank being almost empty at the time. That listing tendency was missed at delivery, too, among other things like missing cushions that must have been blown off through few storms the boat was sitting in the water... kind of pathetic really.

Bottom line, I screwed up by leaving the boat with the dealer after purchasing it in early December; at the time I was too busy, we "reasoned" we can leave the boat in the showroom and do the seat trial with the surveyor on delivery in the spring as it was not possible in Cape Cod in December. Honestly, it didn't really cross my mind the (sob) dealer wouldn't bother to call to let me know the boat is going to be out in the elements if I want to come and get her. Not cool...

It was pretty surprising to find the boat in the sad shape on delivery (last month) as she looked very different then when we left her in the showroom half a year earlier. Well, after sitting in a wet slip in a snowy salt marsh for few months, probably not surprising at all! The surveyor who came to do the sea trial was taken aback, too. Backing out of the contract was an option, but at that point comparative prices went up about 20% and these boats are almost impossible to find in used market to start with. Fortunately, the boat is so well put together I decided I can deal with the few extra issues; we bought her relatively cheap and it was just a little more work than I planned for. AND, I'm getting to know her a lot better that way! :cool:

Live and learn, I guess? I won't lie I was pissed as hell. However, I quickly realized - what's the point of being pissed? so there is that. Happy boating!

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can understand being pissed. Communication is the key. They should have told you of their plans and given you options. If they did not have showroom floor space, that is understandable, but a second option would be putting her out in the lot on jackstands and shrinkwrapped. I am sorry, I don't live in Mass. any more, but leaving her in the water on a mooring ball all Winter would not be to my liking either. I can't believe they let cushions dissapear. :banghead: Well in the end you have a beautiful, very capable watercraft that will bring smiles to your faces once sorted. Good Luck from this point forward. If I lived closer, I would come help you clean her up. But I see your daughters have a couple of potential suitors that will need to know the ins and outs of cleaning and detailing a yacht. ;)

Last edited: