• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spark plug condition

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Helping a friend out with an oil change on a boat…(2016 242) he bought it with 30 hours and now has 190. Oil/plugs were changed by previous owner before purchase and he saw the invoice. When we removed them I barely had to put any pressure at all (like I didn’t think the spark socket was on the spark plug type of loose) I probably could have removed them by hand. Boat was running fine but they look really dark to me even for 160 hours.

also not sure if it’s recommended but looks like the dealer greased the boots which made them easy to get out but also made a bit of a mess in the tubes for the plugs.

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd rather have dark plugs that plugs that are too light in color. Does your friend ever open it up and go or mainly just put around?? I would think that everything is ok right now if it was running good to begin with. There's a lot of times I pull plugs on any engine and they'll seem loose but the last thing you want to do is overtighten spark plugs. Greasing (dielectric grease)the inside of the boots definitely helps in getting them off the plugs.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'd rather have dark plugs that plugs that are too light in color. Does your friend ever open it up and go or mainly just put around?? I would think that everything is ok right now if it was running good to begin with. There's a lot of times I pull plugs on any engine and they'll seem loose but the last thing you want to do is overtighten spark plugs. Greasing (dielectric grease)the inside of the boots definitely helps in getting them off the plugs.
They do open it up but around here unless the conditions are really good it’s usually 6k rpms (30mph) or less…..

thanks for the info!

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the most people are changing them at least once every year or 40-50 hours?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think the most people are changing them at least once every year or 40-50 hours?
I believe it’s once a year or 100 hours. These are about 130 hours but also only 6 months old.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hard to see the ceramic insulator inside the plug what little peak I can see on 2 of them look ok, I'm with Babin you do not want to see vary vary light tan lean burn no good.

My plugs at 23 hours of use(7 years) 2013 were medium to dark brown insulator with Black electrodes and Black carbon build up around plugs combustion rim. This also checks out to what owner said about his 7 year 23 clock hour ownership/use he and his wife(mid 70's age) just idled around the lake so they traded her in on a pontoon.

After 6 months under my ownership I'm at 100 hours now, and getting ready to pull the plugs for a read.