• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spark plug hole tap

jonbidwell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys,

So I removed a busted spark plug from engine. Does anyone know what size tap to buy so I can clean the threads before putting in new plug? It's an 08 AR230 HO. Thanks in advance

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
14 x 1.25. Should be available at just about any parts store.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are 2 methods to collect the shavings (that I know of). Pack the tap in white grease and all the shavings stick. I have used this method to helicoil plug threads without taking the engine apart. The second method is to fill the cylinder with foamy shave cream until it comes out the plug hole, tap the hole, then shop vac the foam out. I think for simply cleaning up the threads that the white grease will work great. Hope this helps. Cam.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I bet it was the number 3 plug, pretty common issue with Yamaha plugs, Get a thread chasing tap it is way bigger than 10 mm I believe it is 14mm by 1.25

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Creb plug should be 10mmx1.0. It is D plugs that are 14mm. I will measure a spare. Cam.

jonbidwell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was the #3. Lol. Also the #2 plug had significant rust but didn't break. I put anti seize on all new plugs. I just got this boat couple weeks ago. It only has 38 hours according to the diagnostic tool. Super nice. So far this is the only snag I've hit. I ordered a 10m x 1.0. If it's the 14 x 1.25 I'll have to order another. Thanks a lot for your info everyone.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The anti seize works great. Never a plug without it in my house of engines. Cam

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
sorry I gave you the 1800 engine size you have the MR1 engine my bad

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't have one here to look at, however 10mm is slightly larger than 3/8ths of an inch compared to 14mm being roughly 9/16 of an inch so it is quite different

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the mr1 use the creb or better creix iridium. The thread is 10mmx1.0 as measured from a creb plug in my tool box. Cam.

Bernd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi guys,

So I removed a busted spark plug from engine. Does anyone know what size tap to buy so I can clean the threads before putting in new plug? It's an 08 AR230 HO. Thanks in advance
Found a youtube video where one cut wit a small groove with a small cut out disk in the tread of the old plug to remove leftovers. Seems to work well. Sorry could not find it again.