• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spark plugs binding

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Engine has been missing around 6500 rpm pretty consistently, so I decided to change the spark plugs even though they aren’t that old. I previously went with NGK LFR6 (not A) and gapped them myself. The 2 plugs at the rear of the boat came out easily, but both of the plugs towards front of the boat were really tough. I alternated loosening and tightening them to try to break them free, but ultimately had to spray some WD40 in there and hen loosen/tighten until free.
Now that I got them out, the new plugs (LFR6A) on front 2 cylinders appear to bind after just 1 turn or so. I have not installed them for fear of getting them stuck. Any suggestions? The back plugs went in fine.

thanks in advance!

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Unfortunately the most likely answer Is during prior installation of the problematic plugs the cylinder head threads were crossed and damaged.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was afraid of that. Is there a remedy?

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are 14 mm threads it seems per ngk.com
So now to figure out what are the do’s/donts of using a thread chaser. If anyone has experience, I’m all ears.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was going to say a plug tap (ugh)... But this thread chaser thing is intriguing. Following.

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I see something called a thread chaser. How do I determine what size threads to do? And is there any major risk of attempting this on my own?
this is just my opinion and is based on my experience only and with the caveat that without detailed inspection it’s only best guess. No offense meant but if your mechanical skills are that you cross threaded them initially, IMO you certainly don’t need to be attempting to repair them. if you use a thread tap there will be some aluminum shed down into the cylinder. Additionally these corrected threads will be inherently weaker and there is no reliable way to gauge their strength and eventual reliability. I would have a trusted mechanic verify this is in fact the issue before I jumped to any conclusions. If cross threaded I would have the head removed and a helicoil or timecert solution installed and then head reinstalled. Some people are comfortable installing either of these solutions with the head installed. I am not one of them.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah I'd second that, if they are indeed cross threaded and not just corroded, any repair I'd attempt would mean the removal of the heads. Seems to me that if they got progressively easier to remove with lubrication and movement I'd be taking a closer look at possible corrosion. What did the plug look like after removed?

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plug was fine. I'll try to upload a picture later.
I'm a bit surprised at the recommendations to not do it yourself given this site typically prides itself on we can do anything. I guess that speaks to the risk versus reward of this particular repair. I'll watch a few more videos on the thread chaser as it seems pretty straightforward, but will likely take it to my trusted mechanic (hopefully he'll agree to work on the boat). The only Yamaha dealer in the area is not one I'm excited to have touch my boat again.

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Plugs are hard steel-head is soft aluminum. The head threads will show the damage if any.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Plug was fine. I'll try to upload a picture later.
I'm a bit surprised at the recommendations to not do it yourself given this site typically prides itself on we can do anything. I guess that speaks to the risk versus reward of this particular repair. I'll watch a few more videos on the thread chaser as it seems pretty straightforward, but will likely take it to my trusted mechanic (hopefully he'll agree to work on the boat). The only Yamaha dealer in the area is not one I'm excited to have touch my boat again.
I actually do recommend you do it yourself, I would. But only caveat here is I personally would not try any type of thread repair (be it a thread chaser or some type of thread insert like heli-coil) without removing the head - getting metal in the cylinder could put you in a whole new can of trouble. So my only question would be how comfortable do feel about removing the head. Everyone has different mechanical skill levels so the recommendation to attempt repairs around here is based on that - you don't want to make it worse. But hell, its your boat and failure is sometimes the best instructor. I'd know. :)

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most of the videos I’ve watched encourage coating the chaser with grease to catch any shavings.
doubt I’ll remove the head, but will look into it also.
Gonna call my mechanic in a little bit. Gotta finish up work calls first.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you recall the previous plugs on Clys1&2 being harder to install than on Cyls3&4? Also, is it possible 1&2 were over-torqued?

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no - they all seemed to go in easy. Hand tightened and then put 1/4 turn with ratchet attached after that.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not think they are cross-threaded. Perhaps, applying anti-seize and hand turning them in and out a few times to see if you make any progress.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just such a difference between the other 2. The other 2 go in simply. these cannot be tightened in by hand at all after initial threads grab

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks @Scottintexas. That seems to be the other approach. I think I'm going to start with the threadchaser and then use the back tap thread repair tool next, if necessary.
My mechanic can look Monday/Tuesday next week, but it feels like pretty low risk honestly on the threadchaser from everything I'm seeing. (Stay tuned for the possible regret story).

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Could you fashion some sort of temp gasket to prevent any shaving from falling in? The threadchaser is hollow, so what if you had a round piece of leather on fat head nail that you could push past the inlet, then hold up against the opening. If you could secure it you could at least see any pieces that fall as you come out and you'd have a chance to vac / pick them out.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Put the grease on go in a little then back it out and clean it off, re apply grease and repeat going a little deeper each time.