• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Spark problem mercury sport jet 90

Irish Pete

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi All

I'm going crazy trying to get my bayliner reflexx jet running, I took the motor apart re-did the carbs, new solenoid, new starter new plugs, new high tension leads 2 new coils and when I put it back in the boat and tried to turn it over it wouldn't fire, I did a spark test and found cylinder 3 was not firing but good spark in 1 and 2. Today I thought I would swap out no 3 coil with one of the other coils as they were getting a good spark to see if the coil was my problem, I decided to just check cylinder 1 and 2 again to ensure there was good spark and to my dismay now I have no spark. Wth

It could be the magnets came loose in the flywheel, it could be the rectifier went bad and fried the ignition brain That was a force outboard engine they had a slew of ignition issues. to add insult to injury the parts are pretty difficult to find .

I had a 1994 Baja Blast with a Sport Jet 90 and had all the diagnostic information on the ignition but gave it to the new owner. Here is a link that might help you. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...28010-1995-sport-jet-90-no-spark-black-stator

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to spend the day Saturday getting this thing going and I will let you know how it goes. A question for Brad, the bayliner seats 4 adults if I take it out on the water with 3 of my 200lb buddy's will it even plane and if so how fast do you think it will go. Thanks in advance

I don't think my Baja was even rated for 600lbs. and I had a hard time getting it to plane out with two people on it unless one of us moved to the bow, once on plane it ran ok. I only kept it for one season after putting a lot of time and money into it. Most of the problems were ignition related and I had to replace the trigger, cdi, voltage regulator and flywheel just to get it running. I never did check the impeller/wear ring clearance which I am sure contributed to the planning issue.

New here. Having issue with check mate playmate. Mercury marine sport jet 90. I will some times get spark on all 3 cylinders than get nothing on any. I have the red up graded stator with the snicker bar add on. After disconecting voltage reg and kill switch as recomended. Still have same issue. Could it be the snicker bar? How do i test for it working correctly??

New here. Having issue with check mate playmate. Mercury marine sport jet 90. I will some times get spark on all 3 cylinders than get nothing on any. I have the red up graded stator with the snicker bar add on. After disconecting voltage reg and kill switch as recomended. Still have same issue. Could it be the snicker bar? How do i test for it working correctly??
I’m having the same issue. Bought 1994 rayder with the 90hp and got to take it out on the lake for a solid five mins before the engine bogged out and died. It turns over but I don’t have spark to all three cylinders. I checked the yellow and black wire to see if I had continuity to ground (which I don’t) Then replaced the CDI and the rectifier. Still no spark. Then today I took off the fly wheel to check the magnets and they all seem solid and don’t move. I really don’t know what to check from here

Welcome both, @d3moyer and @Dingleberryjerry !

@d3moyer , is it always all or nothing? Do you ever get spark on one cylinder and not on the others? Not familiar with the snicker bar, unfortunately. But I found this (which taught me all I know about the snicker bar...) Sport Jet 90 Black to Red Stator Conversion - With Pics Page: 1 - iboats Boating Forums | 429094

@Dingleberryjerry is yours a red stator with snicker bar as well? Always no spark on all cylinders when you have tested since it died?

I went back through the wiring and forgot to ground the (snicker bar) red stator adaptor. Felt like a dingus, banging my head off a wall trying to figure out why I wasn’t getting spark. Low and behold it was a un grounded ground. Also I installed a relay that cuts the circuit from the rectifier to the battery when the ignition is turned off or the emergency switch is pulled. I read that when the rectifier take a s*** it cooks the CDI unit because of bastard fields in the stator. I took the boat out today and it fires right up. That’s when I ran into another issue, when I try to run at higher rpm’s the engine begins to sputter and never goes WOT. I am currently not using the main tank because it’s rusted. But I am using a little reserve tank. Just a little clueless on what to check

Remove the fuel lines from the engine feeding the carbs and clean them out I had the same thing happen once and found a piece of rubber fuel line caught in the system , at speed it would block off the fuel flow to the top carb ,took a while for me to find that but once I did it ran great

I tried that today, I looked at all the lines and they looked good. Blew compressed air through them. Even took it out on the lake and still it only went 10mph. My main concern is that it has low compression. When turning the engine by hand (Clockwise) I hear one cylinder hiss. Like the compressed air is just leaking out. I have a friend coming over with a compression gauge tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Back