• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker placement for driver listening

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats the feedback I was looking for. So youre basically saying with towers the sound is too high. I might just do towers at captain and mid cabins also. Do you have pics of your setup?
You could probably angle them down. Not real sure how that would sound. There is a shot with the tower up so you can see the placement.

Attachments

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Onnieray Make sure you have a good quality amp powering the 6.5 or 7.7” speakers in the tub. Having nice clean power is going to be the way for you to enjoy the music. I wouldn’t suggest trying to create a great soundstage on a boat, it’s just not practical.

I run a multi zone setup (4) so I can dial down all the speakers in the tub (including the sub) and only drive the pair on the transom. That’s where hanging out the JL 650s shine for me and floating at the stern in the water.

In the captains seat driving it’s all about driving and as long as you have a pair placed in the front like @captainhook you’re gonna be good.
What do you use to control the zones? Like what kind of controls do you have at the helm to make adjustments?

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi all.

Just bought a 2021 AR195S (still awaiting its arrival) This is my first boat and I have been doing a boatload (ha) of research into upgrading my sound system. I have never messed around with boat audio however I am a long time home theater/home audio enthusiest so I have I do have good deal of technical knowledge.
Obviously for a boat (or a car for that matter) your not going to have the same soundstage at the listening position as you would in a home system and for the driver position I am trying to figure out the best way to get speakers pointed towards the driver. It drives me nuts that the speakers in back are on the ground level below the seats. Now I still havnt heard the system yet but can only assume the stock system and speaker placement needs to be upgraded. I do plan on adding tower speakers and was thinking of having 2 facing towards the bow behind the driver. I have seen alot of people adding the tower speakers but I dont see anyone pointing them forward. Am i missing something?
So what I am asking is how is everyone getting good sound quality and soundstage to the driver?

Thanks
I just picked up a 2021 Vortex VRX 223 and it had the JL Audio upgrade but like Yamaha, there is a dead spot mid cabin. My plan is a wet sounds sound bar shooting down or similar from the wake tower. I am getting plenty of bass since the sub is in the helm but no mids or highs really. I think a sound bar will fix that. Plus add some more sound to the entire cabin from the windshield back. I have speakers on the swim platform that face out and for now that’s plenty for my 8 year old tube rider. With the sound bar it allows me to add some rear facing speakers later on down the road but for now, the system is plenty loud, just needs something for the captain

Onnieray

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I just picked up a 2021 Vortex VRX 223 and it had the JL Audio upgrade but like Yamaha, there is a dead spot mid cabin. My plan is a wet sounds sound bar shooting down or similar from the wake tower. I am getting plenty of bass since the sub is in the helm but no mids or highs really. I think a sound bar will fix that. Plus add some more sound to the entire cabin from the windshield back. I have speakers on the swim platform that face out and for now that’s plenty for my 8 year old tube rider. With the sound bar it allows me to add some rear facing speakers later on down the road but for now, the system is plenty loud, just needs something for the captain
I am curious to see how that sound bar works out. I have kids also (12 and 14) I don't really need to be crazy loud but just want full sound through out the boat

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am curious to see how that sound bar works out. I have kids also (12 and 14) I don't really need to be crazy loud but just want full sound through out the boat
Yeah. Like I say, I’m satisfied on the overall volume. I came from a pontoon that had 6, 8 inch Memphis Audio speakers with a 12 Memphis sub. This system is just as nice but the pontoon had speakers in the corners facing at 45° So no matter where you were, You were getting hit in the face with projection. This Vortex has plenty of sound and speakers but with where they are placed, I’m just not hearing iYou were getting hit in the face with projection. This Vortex has plenty of sound and speakers but placed in spots for everyone but me lol

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Those dead spots perplex me... is it because they don't want to be legally liable for someone getting in a wreck because the driver couldn't hear? Or do they just not test their own boats with the music on?

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Those dead spots perplex me... is it because they don't want to be legally liable for someone getting in a wreck because the driver couldn't hear? Or do they just not test their own boats with the music on?
I’ve been told liability a few times but who actually knows. The theory is boats 20 years ago barely had a radio in them but today you better have a system or you are not going to be competing with other manufacturers. Boats are going more towards wakeboarding and water sports so they are excluding the captain so he can be more observant of who he’s pulling. That’s the theory people have said to me but I’m not sure if I buy that.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
just left the sound shop. hes suggesting JL 8.8 in the main cabin for full sound. adjust the bass accordingly. i would prefer a gain control on a sub personally.

johnso30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What do you use to control the zones? Like what kind of controls do you have at the helm to make adjustments?
I‘ve also been wondering this...

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
with a fusion deck get the fusion app or the deck itself has zone control.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I‘ve also been wondering this...
Connext on my boat has fader/balance control - just drag to the front center and my zone 2 is turned off so just the cockpit and bow are on. I can drag it back to the back and only the stern speakers on the swim platform are on. Works through the Fusion App and head unit as well.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree - Wetsounds kills JL on the leds, I'm jelly.
I cheated. Running Blast LED rings behind the WetSounds towers and the JL cabin speakers. JLs are all the way dimmed. WS rings are not on a dimmer so all the way up. Lots of light output for sure.