• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker Upgrade time! WetSound or JL Audio

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It's time for transom speaker upgrading on the 243. Right now I have the grey WetSound Recon 6 with the blue RGB light. The speaker still plays and sounds decent but the RGB is burnt out. I am considering 2 options, the WetSound Revo 6 with the white grill and cone and RGB or the JL Audio M6 650X with the white grill and RGB. The JL's are on sale right now making them similar in price. I've found one article comparing the two, which gave it to the WetSound unless money was no object and the JL had the best RGB. Which I honestly don't use that much....

Does anyone have any experience or preference with/ for either?

Thanks

John

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Buy the one that you like the looks of better. You won't notice much sound wise.

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah, thanks! I like the looks of the WetSound white & stainless grill with the white cone. I like not seeing the speaker more than with the gray on gray that is there now. The JL is supposed to have a better RGB but that gets turned on 2-3x a year.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I have WS so I'm partial. Some say JL has slightly clearer sound and WS are louder. Probably can't go wrong with either.

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks, I've read that same thing. The Recon that are on it now sound good, we aren't really the crank it up boat so the rest of the beach or dock can hear us! I haven't been on an expensive enough boat to hear either one. I see all these high end center consoles and hybrids boats using JL. Neither are cheap but if I'm going to upgrade the transom is were most of the action is!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Thanks, I've read that same thing. The Recon that are on it now sound good, we aren't really the crank it up boat so the rest of the beach or dock can hear us! I haven't been on an expensive enough boat to hear either one. I see all these high end center consoles and hybrids boats using JL. Neither are cheap but if I'm going to upgrade the transom is were most of the action is!
I have two extra WS Recons that I would install on the transom if there was space on our 195s, even though the our system is plenty loud for us without them.
If you're interested in them DM me. I have many other extras left over from my upgrade. If you do a search under stereo or audio you can see them there.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Those guys with high-end boats don't care when they upgrade. They take it the most high-end shop and ask for the most expensive speakers. JL has a phenomenal marketing team and they continue to keep a top-tier image.

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can’t speak for the Wetsounds speakers as I have 8 JL 6.5 inch speakers and 2 IB 12 inch subs. I have had the speakers for almost 5 years now and I will say that they look and sound just as good now as when I first installed them. I was replacing the Polk speakers annually prior to upgrading. The 6.5’s are powered by a JL audio 800.8 amp and a separate smaller JL amp for the subs. They are Loud enough for me to hear well while at full throttle underway. So I can at least vouch for the JL speakers and gear for clarity and longevity. Are they “better” than the Wetsounds gear? I really don’t know but I have definitely gotten my moneys worth over the years from them.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Interesting, How would you say the sound quality compares as well as the volume? I currently have 2 JL 8.8 towers each being pushed by 200 watts.
the quality is great, people notice i changed speakers without even seen them installed on the boat, i was pushing the jls with
Wet Sounds Sinister SDX2 2
at 2ohms. but i still wasnt where my 2019 with 2 rev10 was so i just sold em.