• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

speakers behind the cushions on the swim deck?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unique opportunity to add speakers behind the seats on my 2008 SX230, as the seats are off while the interior is re-upholstered.

We are not sound demons by any chance, but some sound in the rear would be nice

This looks cheap and easy: (50Watts RMS 4in Marine speakers)

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMR41B-Waterproof-Marine-Speakers/dp/B001ES8X9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493166456&sr=8-1&keywords=marine+speaker+4in

Can I add a 4in hole next to the existing two holes that provide ventilation, and add these speakers in the back, behind the seats, so they will be covered by the seats? I thought I had read someone doing this but I could not find it.

Thanks!

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure about the installation, but we had 2 speakers added onto our SX swim platform and love it. They aren't behind the cushions, but on the right and left side of the cushions. You can hear the music so much better when you are in the water. We always get a ton of comments from people while anchoring out.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
its not 100% complete as I have to drill holes for the blower but i can actually hear it outside of the boat now.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
actually he inspired me to do it! had some 6 x 9's left over from car audio install i said what the heck, i'll put em to a good use.
You'll enjoy having those speakers there. They way the sound carries out from under the seat back sounds great when you're at the back of the boat. I guess if you wanted to you could make or buy covers for the back of your speakers to get even more sound.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unique opportunity to add speakers behind the seats on my 2008 SX230, as the seats are off while the interior is re-upholstered.

We are not sound demons by any chance, but some sound in the rear would be nice

This looks cheap and easy: (50Watts RMS 4in Marine speakers)

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMR41B-Waterproof-Marine-Speakers/dp/B001ES8X9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493166456&sr=8-1&keywords=marine+speaker+4in

Can I add a 4in hole next to the existing two holes that provide ventilation, and add these speakers in the back, behind the seats, so they will be covered by the seats? I thought I had read someone doing this but I could not find it.

Thanks!
As a big audio head, cheap audio is not good, good audio is not cheap. Do it right with good shit the first time and you wout have to redo it

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
its not 100% complete as I have to drill holes for the blower but i can actually hear it outside of the boat now.

i like the idea of the speakers mounted behind the swim deck cushions... i was worried about the sound being muffled... do you lose tonal quality or does it sound pretty decent?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Jwiley I've heard his boat before he sold it they sounded pretty decent. The sound gets muffled a little I'm sure but the sound still comes out loud enough to be heard and enjoyed from the swim deck or cove.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
surprisingly clear. I am not an audiophile buy it sounded half decent while floating in the water

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I met someone at one of the falls lake gatherings before they were shipped off in the military.. He had two speakers put back there. I looked at his set up and listened to it. While on the swim deck it was a little muffled but when u were in the water the sound came out from under the seat and traveled right across the surface of the water like it was a directional speaker.. It sounded pretty good. I want to do this mod this winter. My 230 has good sound inside the boat but it is stuck there... Hard to hear in the water.