• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spontaneous LONG tow

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like towing.. but I also bought a new aluminum I beam trailer because I knew I was gonna tow alot..

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't tow that far on short notice, it's your weeks vacation with your family, all the prep. to get it ready, the tow, gamble on the weather to be able to use the boat,

for me it would add to much stress for little payoff, I'd either rent a boat if the weather looks nice or put a call out on JBN for locals who might want to share their boating pastime with your family for an afternoon,

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All good points.

We are going to Naples, so it’s definitely the SOUTH part of SW Florida. Boat rentals are around $400/day, which we do every trip. Weather looks perfect, so we could get out at least 6-8 days.

I’m not ready to give up just yet. I’m waiting for a call back on a couple storage options. I’ve got a local trailer shop repacking bearings and potentially replacing tires on the trailer Monday. Needed to be done for the season anyway.

If nothing else, this is certainly helping pass the time before the trip!!! This whole discussion has me counting down the days until the first weekend in May in Dale Hollow!

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've towed my boat down there but we rented a place with a boat lift on a canal for a month. I don't think that I would have done it for only a ten day stay. Eats up too much of your vacation time with prep,cleaning, etc.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You only live once! Could have should have does not give you great family memories. You do not need to high and dry the boat for a week I put my hand in the water for a week at a clip in Islamorada. Flush at the end of the week, if you start it everyday it does not dry out and the salt in the engine stays in suspension. I clean and flush really well at the end when I pull it out. If you get catastrophic failure on the trailer on the way down leave it at a gas station. Give him $100 to store it and pick it up on your way home.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d take the boat if my plans are to enjoy the water during the vacation. If my plans were to do other inland things for 6 days and beach/water for 1 or 2 probably not. Towing and driving doesn’t bother me and I actually enjoy driving on trips though👍

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would take the boat I am currently looking for rentals in the Destin area with a dock for a last minute trip and am hoping to find a way to take the boat. Yeah take the boat warm weather in winter you don't want to make the boat sad

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hope you ended up taking the boat. I did a 13 hour drive to the Keys and even though the water was a bit choppy and we only got to go out 3 times it was so worth it. We brought it down the next year as well and the weather was great and i had already figured out all the ramp logistics and how to navigate.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMO it all depends on your comfort level, vehicle, and trailer condition. Two weeks after I bought my boat I towed it 10 hours from VA to FL and had an awesome time. Planing a 2 day tow to the FL Keys in November. It's 2 days for me towing or not. I do have to admit, mountains would concern me with surge breaks only because I lack experience. Hauled a 25' trailer with electric breaks all over no problem. I also have insurance with roadside assistance for the trailer.

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@IndySmittyYammi Did you make the tow? How was the first weekend in May at Dale Hollow?
We didn't make the tow to Florida. We regretted it the first couple days, but then the wind kicked up out of nowhere and made it uncomfortable on the water, even on the intercoastal. We only went out on a rental once because of it. I guess we got lucky.

We then came home, sold the AR240, and bought a Moomba Craz. It was a crazy sequence of events and it made the first trip of the year to Dale a lot of fun! We went back again last weekend. Here are some pics!IMG_0714.jpegIMG_0769.jpegIMG_1278.jpegIMG_0699.jpeg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Beautiful boat!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All good points.

We are going to Naples, so it’s definitely the SOUTH part of SW Florida. Boat rentals are around $400/day, which we do every trip. Weather looks perfect, so we could get out at least 6-8 days.

I’m not ready to give up just yet. I’m waiting for a call back on a couple storage options. I’ve got a local trailer shop repacking bearings and potentially replacing tires on the trailer Monday. Needed to be done for the season anyway.

If nothing else, this is certainly helping pass the time before the trip!!! This whole discussion has me counting down the days until the first weekend in May in Dale Hollow!
The storage on trailer options was tough to find when I went down last year to st Pete area but found 2 marinas to accommodate me.