• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard engine died Help please

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We’re running about 7000 rpms and starboard engine suddenly quit. Turned port engine off and both engines started back up. 15 minutes later starboard quit again, scared to turn port engine off, we are about 1/2 mike from dock. How fast can I go? What should I check when I get home. It said something like comm error.
Thanks

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless you clamp off the intake cooling hose for the shutoff engine, i wouldnt go above no wake speeds

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thought I read idle speed so that’s what we are doing. I have no idea why an engine would just quit though.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A wiring/connection issue could cut fuel or spark. It sounds intermittent and you should have some codes logged to narrow down once you get back.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots of waves? Kill switches could cause that if there are no other bad signs. either lanyard or under clean out cover. I suspect clean out since it's the same engine that went down twice. Did you leave the clean out hatch unlatched on one side???? (I hope you did! - easy fix)

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Got it on the lift and both engines started back up, but says N2K communication error. Starboard sounds a little tougher than the port engine.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Starboard sounds a little tougher than the port engine.
I can bet this is in your head.

If and I were you and given the proximity I would tow my boat and camp in front of @swatski house

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
on very serious note, I had this happen while crossing to Bimini in 2017. It was the flexing of the hull from hitting the wakes to hard. If I had to bet my money, I would send the kill switch on the clean out hatch

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I checked both kill switches in the clean out port and they both appeared working correctly.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik what does send the kill switch on the clean out hatch mean. Thanks
that is the location that you checked. On the clean out ports that it is. Mine were working fine, but if for some reason that hatch twisted ( like you did not secure it properly) it the give can be just enough to kill the engine.

if you can probably try it without getting in the water. Leave the stbd ( right) side unlatched and start he engine. Try to pry open the hatch and see how quickly it kills the engines and which one will get killed first. I bet it will be the STBD.
Note: make sure you do not run them to long and overheat them

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find occasional engine err messages can clear after turning off battery switches - for a couple of minutes.

EDIT: it does sound a lot like what @Betik is saying.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Both of mine shut-off when I hit a wave too hard. I wonder if that is something with the lanyard or kill switch.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Both of mine shut-off when I hit a wave too hard. I wonder if that is something with the lanyard or kill switch.
Hitting waves and shutting off is likely clean out hatch switches. First adjust the hatch latches to make sure they and pulling it down snug if that is not it then adjust the hatch switch so they are higher but not so high that they bing the hatch. Exercising the lanyard switch a few times a season will help it not have issues down the road. Also seems to be that some of the replacement lanyard keys out there are not thick enough.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hitting waves and shutting off is likely clean out hatch switches. First adjust the hatch latches to make sure they and pulling it down snug if that is not it then adjust the hatch switch so they are higher but not so high that they bing the hatch. Exercising the lanyard switch a few times a season will help it not have issues down the road. Also seems to be that some of the replacement lanyard keys out there are not thick enough.
Not wave jumping also helps lol. Thanks for the advice, I will check out the clean out latch.

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I really appreciate all the help, the clean out port wasn’t latching on the starboard side. Made a little adjustment and now it’s fixed. This forum is the best, I had no idea what the problem was. Thanks