• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard Engine Has Trouble Starting

wicked1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so we just bought a FSH 210 3 weeks ago, and a few times I have had a hard time starting the stud engine, the port always starts right up, but we can be out all day with no issues come back to port turn it all off, then 20 minutes later the stab engine has a hard time starting. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with either motor, thought it was the voltage but everything is off, and keys are out, so battery is not draining.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve had the same occur once awhile on our starboard engine. Ours are the 1.8s and it only has occurred when doing water sports when the engine is running at higher RPMs right to being shut down. Don’t know if it is from being run out and then not allowing it enough idle time to cool off? Usually cranks for 10 seconds then give the starter a break and on the second crank it’s always fired up. Don’t know if that helps or is similar to what you experienced. Anytime we let it idle for a short time after coming off higher rpms it’s always fired right up.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so we just bought a FSH 210 3 weeks ago, and a few times I have had a hard time starting the stud engine, the port always starts right up, but we can be out all day with no issues come back to port turn it all off, then 20 minutes later the stab engine has a hard time starting. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with either motor, thought it was the voltage but everything is off, and keys are out, so battery is not draining.
Glad to have you on board,

when you say it has a hard time starting we need more info,

you turn the key and get nothing/no crank
it cranks but doesn't ever fire
it cranks, fires, stumbles and dies
it cranks, starts and run rough

it always starts easy when cold at the first of the day?

wicked1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
cranks but doesn't turn over but after trying about the 5-6th time and shutting port engine off it starts

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we have had a few of the 1.8's report re-starting problems especially while surfing/water sports, we think it is because the exhaust is pushed under water causing back pressure,

Do you normally run your exhaust fan? wondering if maybe that engine is sensitive to the heat for some reason,

wicked1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I only run the engine blower, when I first start it, or if I am back at the dock then leaving in a few minutes so I do not have to leave the engines running. I am going to try some variations of starting and stopping this weekend to see if it has anything to do with heat, but I usually open the engine hatch when docked to cool the engine compartment down, I do not spray the engines with fresh water, or any type of sprays, dealer told me these engines do not get salt water on them the way the jetskis do. My bilge doesnt normally go off, but I usually check it before each trip.