• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard engine not starting

Day of boating not off to it’s planned start. My Starboard engine is trying to start and after 4 seconds of cranking just gives up the ghost.

Some info:

-on the boat right now with tools
-not a 911 situation
-have visually and from the cleanout port have inspected for stuff that might have been ingested ... nothing
-after 6 starting attempts it is progressively sounding “better”
-2013 242 Limited S, never an engine issue before

I am currently taking the plugs out so I can check gap/condition (new in May) and to spin the impeller because upon cranking something sounds stiff/stuck to my untrained ear.

From a mechanical perspective @swatski, @Julian and @Mainah would shake there heads and question why people like me buy and operate things they don’t understand ...

Here’s a video on the sound:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zqofe8gete8num4/AADS17XrlUUUVbzlU9jaHsFQa?dl=0
I think @Mainah is on to something. Either that or the battery is weak, your video (which by the way gave my admin a heart attack, I didn't realize I had the volume up, lol) shows a very short crank... Like there is not enough juice to sustain it. I know the other engine starts, but the STRBD may be just flooded (needed a longer crank).

Glad you got it going !!!
If I were you, I would take the boat out and run WOT for a while, after a good few min warm up of course.

--

All boat is starting and running as normal. I took it on a 30 min WOT and all appears fine at the moment. I appreciate all the help and will close this case as solved ... most likely something small stuck in the impeller. I keep the batteries on a quality dual tender.

Will check the battery voltage tomorrow per the advice of some of the posts.

Thank you for the quick responsiveness and assistance!!

Kept me on the edge of my seat all day .Wish I could have helped but I'm new to jet boating. This is why I follow this forum , these guys know thier stuff. Glad you're up and running .

Glad to hear that you’ve got it started. It might not hurt to check your battery connections. It’s possible that they’re dirty or loose causing weak or intermittent starting. Hopefully you’re all set by now. But it’s possible that it could pop back up if there are loose connections.

Anyway, glad to hear that everything seems normal now.

Postmortem ... both battery voltages are good. Checked all the connections that I could see and touch. For the member posts about cranking and what I will call “borderline battery”, I think I now understand the correlation between rusty connections, impedience on the impeller and the need for a longer crank (btw it’s not the size of the ship it’s the motion of then ocean). So I will keep a watchful eye on the situation.

Thanks again for the help.

Back