• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard engine works on idle but doesn't when high RPMs

Juan Tascon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

I launched my AR240 year 2016 last Monday and idle speed was ok however when I increased RPMs the starboard made a loud noise and doesn't engage to work... the noise is lauder than the port engine and water stops coming out of the starboard engine. Does this sounds familiar to anyone? based on my google research, when this happen to a outboard motor is called "spun hub" but nothing is related to a jet engine .. I appreciate in advance your prompt suggestions!

Explain what you mean by “water stops coming out”. The pee hole? The exhaust? Or the jet pump has no thrust? Cavitation (something stuck in the impeller) is a common source of loud noises, vibration and lack of thrust. Trying to understand if you have an engine issue (bad spark plugs or internal failure) that prevent the engine rpm from increasing or if engine is fine but you get noise and no thrust from the pump.

Explain what you mean by “water stops coming out”. The pee hole? The exhaust? Or the jet pump has no thrust? Cavitation (something stuck in the impeller) is a common source of loud noises, vibration and lack of thrust. Trying to understand if you have an engine issue (bad spark plugs or internal failure) that prevent the engine rpm from increasing or if engine is fine but you get noise and no thrust from the pump.

Thanks for your message Seadeals . the impeller is clean, sparkplugs are brand new and the jet pump has not thrust when I try to accelerate. at idle speed seems to work fine, I see thrust that looks normal.. If this issue happens to an outboard engine, they would call it a "spin hub" but I don't know here on Jet boats what the issue is. let me know if you have more questions!

Impeller could be cavitating on the starboard engine. Cavitation can cause a major loss in pump output. Need to check out impeller for damage and impeller clearance to housing wall.........….and check the clean out plug is sealing properly.

Clean out plugs?

Hello,

I launched my AR240 year 2016 last Monday and idle speed was ok however when I increased RPMs the starboard made a loud noise and doesn't engage to work... the noise is lauder than the port engine and water stops coming out of the starboard engine. Does this sounds familiar to anyone? based on my google research, when this happen to a outboard motor is called "spun hub" but nothing is related to a jet engine .. I appreciate in advance your prompt suggestions!

Did you figure it out?

I'm in Miami if you need a different set of eyes or hands. Where you at?

Does engine idle now? Does noise get worse when you accelerate? Can you get someone to look down pump as engine runs to see impeller turns?
If you take spark plugs out can you rotate PTO freely and see if there is something broken/noise? The new ones break shafts but cause damage that can be seen. Is boat new to you or know last time bearing in pump or intermediate housing have been serviced. We are in salt water.

Did you figure it out?

I'm in Miami if you need a different set of eyes or hands. Where you at?

Does engine idle now? Does noise get worse when you accelerate? Can you get someone to look down pump as engine runs to see impeller turns?
If you take spark plugs out can you rotate PTO freely and see if there is something broken/noise? The new ones break shafts but cause damage that can be seen. Is boat new to you or know last time bearing in pump or intermediate housing have been serviced. We are in salt water.

Hello 14sx190 I am in South Miami and my boat is at home on a trailer. Are you mechanic? Could you please share your phone number with me so I can call you? I may need an extra eye/hand to fix this issue.

Thanks!

So finally I met up with 14SX190 (Oscar) who showed me how to open de first part of the Jet (where the bucket is) and took the Impeller out. We found a big cylindrical plastic piece hidden behind the impeller, reason why I did not see it at the beginning from the back. Good thing it was just that issue and the impeller is 100% great ... Count on Oscar for anything you need in the future .. he is a great person and always willing to help!

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    594.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 11
Back