• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starter replacement Mr1

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_4682.JPG IMG_4681.JPG So I had another starter go out(so I thought) and decided to do a write up for all the ppl that will have starter issues. To start with if your not sure if it's the solenoid or the starter you can test the wire going into the solenoid and going out to make sure it's getting power to the starter but if it's clicking it's been my experience that it's the starter. To replace the starter you need 20 mins a 10mm, 12mm socket, and in case of problems a long screw driver or prybar and hammer to push things along. You need to reach around the left side of the motor under the exhaust manifold and above the cooling lines. You can find the ground wire under the motor and follow it to your first 12mm bolt the second is right above the first. After you have both bolts out try and wiggle the starter out. If it doesn't pull out, this is when you push it out from above. After you pull out the starter I move it btw the motors to have more room. Then I remove the 12v line going to the starter with a 10mm socket. Now that it's out. Install the new one. I also put lube on the neck of the starter so it slides in easier. Now that I pulled my old starter out it's working without any pressure on it so I'm not sure if it stopped working because it had corrosion on the ground or it's just not under pressure. Not sure but I'm not happy it didn't last a year. I've had random problems with it since new. Replacing multiple batteries because the starter wasn't turning over fast. I'm gonna clean the old one up and have it load tested. Hopefully I'll have a back up.

Last edited:

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you look down the hole where the pry bar is you can see the starter. My first time I had a hard time finding it from up top and it was stuck.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for sharing.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
indeed, Thank you for sharing @Marvin willis -- When I get my boat back, I will check it out and follow up if I have any questions. thanks again.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know Yamaha does not own a starter manufacturing plant..(more of a wild guess)
I would like to know who makes the oem starter. maybe we can find oem quality for less than $400 each.

I know denso makes oem seadoo. Anyone with an old starter find any details of original maker on it??

Edit: never mind. Seems original is Mitsuba SM13466

Hard to find it it seems

Last edited:

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10 minutes to change the starter!!!! Thanks so much for the tips, but that was still almost two hours of downward dog!! Needed to fashion a piece of PVC as well to bang the starter in from the back. It was not going easily.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, was it 10 minutes? Or 2 hours?

Glad it's done

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
added to FAQ under "broken parts, starters"

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just removed the starter from a 2010 SX210 Yamaha jet boat. When I tried to start the port engine I only heard a soft click. The batteries are new. I tapped the starter with a hammer and tried the key again. The starter spun and the engine started immediately. I believe it's the starter so I ordered one. The question I have is this; When the starter was removed, I noticed that there is no solenoid so how does the starter disengage after the engine starts? On an auto the solenoid pushes the teeth of the starter into the flywheel then pulls them back when engine starts. It can't be that the teeth of the starter stay engaged to a running engine right? Does anyone know the dynamics of this procedure? Thank You.

Tom

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think there is a sort of screw action that pushes the teeth up when it spins. When it stops the spring pushes it down. Try spinning the starter by hand and you may notice this screw like action. At least that's how the seadoo worked. I think the solenoid is just a large relay to connect power, but it doesn't actually push the starter up with a separate motion on these.

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think there is a sort of screw action that pushes the teeth up when it spins. When it stops the spring pushes it down. Try spinning the starter by hand and you may notice this screw like action. At least that's how the seadoo worked. I think the solenoid is just a large relay to connect power, but it doesn't actually push the starter up with a separate motion on these.

OK Thank You, Beachbummer, I'm gonna try that in the morning!

Thanks,
Tom

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was told by a mechanic that it just spins. I thought that was weird too

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's probably a bendix where it spins up with g force then gets pushed back down by the spring.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's probably a bendix where it spins up with g force then gets pushed back down by the spring.

side note for all you aspiring mechanics, I learned the hard way on my riding mower, if you hook the wire up backwards, the starter spins normal but in reverse so there's no g force to push it up, it took me a while to figure that one out,

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, maybe I can give you guys some info because I still can't figure this out. The starter I removed from my 2010, Yamaha SX210 jet boat says "Mitsuba" then in tiny letters it looks like " MS-13" then is says 12V then its says 6D3. While it was installed and the key was turned, there was only a low click. If I held the key on start AND tapped the starter with a hammer, then the engine would crank and it would it start! So I figured then, and still believe that it's the starter. I bench-tested the starter and it spins every time but, I think that it's just not strong enough to crank the four cylinder engine. At least I hope that's the case because I already ordered a starter for $377.00. I still can't figure out how the starter cranks and then disengages because there is no solenoid that shoves the starter gear outward and then retracts. The only thing I can think of is maybe the flywheel itself has something protruding which the starter catches and when the engine starts, something inside retracts with the spinning of the engine. Anyway it's not important, just my curiosity. Expecting the starter any day and when it is installed will let you guys know if that was the problem. P.S., after ordering the starter, noticed one for $68.00 on E-Bay! Now I'm wondering if there's a difference or did I just waste money?

Thank You
Tom

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't think you can connect the starter wires backwards because the negative cable of the starter goes to one of the starter's mounting bolts directly into the engine and the positive cable connects to the insulated bolt at the center of the starter. If you tried to reverse the cables, you would get some heavy sparks from the positive cable touching the mounting bolt which goes into the engine.

Tom

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Beachbummer; I bench-tested the starter and it spins but sprocket does not extend. Still can't figure it out. Thank you and if I find out the dynamics of this ill contact you
Tom

QUOTE="Tom Duignan, post: 308474, member: 9120"]OK Thank You, Beachbummer, I'm gonna try that in the morning!

Thanks,
Tom[/QUOTE]

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bendix is internal. It is located under the magneto housing.