• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starter replacement Mr1

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My terminology above might be misleading. But here’s the parts diagram of the GENERATOR. Part # 3 is the idler gear that is in direct contact with the starter. Part #4 is referred to as the ONE WAY STARTER something or other ;) that is connected to the main crank.
View attachment 75918 View attachment 75919
Part # 4 is called a Starter Clutch in the 2007 SX230 service manual.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Part # 4 is called a Starter Clutch in the 2007 SX230 service manual.
Yeah no clutch on my boat thou?? Also the service manual has no info on installing or even taking out the starter. Day 3 and still no luck, next step the dealer 700 bucks to install a starter super sucks.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah no clutch on my boat thou?? Also the service manual has no info on installing or even taking out the starter. Day 3 and still no luck, next step the dealer 700 bucks to install a starter super sucks.
Wherein so cal are you located?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I took out spark plugs and could not get the drive shaft to turn at all. Tried using plyers but no real angle to get a good grip at. I tried turning impeller with metal pole and nothing. Also before the passenger side engine would turn on even thou the driver side had the starter issue. Now it won't turn on at all no power at all to it. Do any of you recommend a shop In the socal area to take it to. Gave up on getting the starter in. Just gonna have to take the hit of 700 bucks or more on it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other than the slow starter...the boat runs...

Why not put it back together and enjoy until you have more time to address? Honest question you may have your reasons.

Best of Luck!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Other than the slow starter...the boat runs...

Why not put it back together and enjoy until you have more time to address? Honest question you may have your reasons.

Best of Luck!
It won't start without the starter in it lol. I wish it would run without the starter is there a bypasd??

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the inland empire
IM in south Orange County. have an engine In a crate in my garage. If you like, you could come over and test fit your starter into the engine to get a better feel of what’s going on.
Just pm me if interested.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Awesome thanks alot, I will let you know in the future. I ended up dropping the boat off at a shop in Corona.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome thanks alot, I will let you know in the future. I ended up dropping the boat off at a shop in Corona.
Ok. FYI, There are several shops that work on personal watercraft that can do the job at a fraction of the cost of a boat dealer. Good luck with the repair. I hope it works out well for you.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
What are the names of the shops?? I can take my boat there next time.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are the names of the shops?? I can take my boat there next time.
Call Robert at Jet Works. He’s in Costa Mesa. I have two numbers for him. Not sure which is best. (949) 548-5259, (949) 338-0983. He probably won’t want to store your boat overnight. But id imagine that he could get the starter in pretty easily.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay how the heck do you get the starter back in. Habe to line up the spleen blind

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got it in with a little wiggle back and forth. Now I need to address my spinning ignition switch.