• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starter short

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2 stroke mercury sportjet 175 xr2

Has anyone had a starter short internally and what woukd be the symptoms?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Pull the plugs and turn the flywheel by hand if it turns ok jump directly to the hot lead of the starter and the ground if it won't crank you have a bad starter.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
remember the power head is a outboard engine so the started is probably an outboard starter should make it easier to locate

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I may have found problem. The little ground off solonoid is crispy but theres a lot of green corosion. I wonder if it had bad contact? I have a new solonoid but my question is i cant tell orientation of solonoid? Does orientation matter? Cant tell which way to bolt it in? I gots all new hot and negative cables. Solonoid and starter coming weds. Gotta rig new solonoid ground and splice the kill switch wire im presuming the yellow w red stripe tied to starter switch? Does the solonoid have to face a certain way?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It may matter if the electrical box around it only closes on certain orientation. On a solenoid you can't hurt anything by connecting the two main big wires "wrong". If it happened to look for power in one pole and it was not there, it would not function.

Wire as close to old one as you can. The two big poles are apart until power is applied, then they bridge to get the starter going. Nothing else to it.

Best of luck!

Edit: I looked up your solenoid, it takes 4 wires correct? In those it does not matter which of the big studs has power and which has the starter, but it may be easier to wire based on how the wires approach it. Just test it all before closing to many boxes.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yea i was thinkin the power jumps across but on the little nuts one is ground and other side has yellow w red stripe im assuming is kill switch. Thats the only thing making me scratch my brain

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It may matter if the electrical box around it only closes on certain orientation. On a solenoid you can't hurt anything by connecting the two main big wires "wrong". If it happened to look for power in one pole and it was not there, it would not function.

Wire as close to old one as you can. The two big poles are apart until power is applied, then they bridge to get the starter going. Nothing else to it.

Best of luck!

Edit: I looked up your solenoid, it takes 4 wires correct? In those it does not matter which of the big studs has power and which has the starter, but it may be easier to wire based on how the wires approach it. Just test it all before closing to many boxes.
On second thought that yellow red stripe is probably the juice to the switch itself to activeate the solonoid. I gotta have key in on position then all my dash radio works then hit switch button. I bet that is the juice that lets it loose!! Lol

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right, starter is unrelated to kill switch. The other 2 little wires power the electromagnet that closes the solenoid.

Ground and 12v signal from the little cables, when both are present, make the magnet engage, which closes the bridge, and makes the starter turn. Release the key and the 12v yellow cable signal goes away and starter stops turning.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you jumped the starter directly to the power connection on the started the solenoid would have nothing to do with it because it was bypassed the starter would turn or not turn .

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Right, starter is unrelated to kill switch. The other 2 little wires power the electromagnet that closes the solenoid.

Ground and 12v signal from the little cables, when both are present, make the magnet engage, which closes the bridge, and makes the starter turn. Release the key and the 12v yellow cable signal goes away and starter stops turning.
Im starting to catch on. Thanks buddy

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine when it was bad, it would bridge/connect the 2 poles almost always, but would not handle the larger load every time.

It's a 12V powered switch, Last one for others since you already grasped it....think of the solenoid as a black box with a small person inside, and a light bulb connected to the "signal" portion of the Solenoid, The small person engages the switch when the bulb is lit, and releases the switch the the bulb goes off....

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats it's all set!, I see all you did in the other thread! Glad it's done.