• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ste pete area this saturday.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Aug 29
I think i will launch from
Gandy Ramp
5108 W Gandy Blvd
Tampa, FL 33611

Gandy ramp on tampa bay then head out to past the skyway bridge then hang out with the family on The gulf side of shell key. Anyone else is welcome to join us. I have a 3 and 7 yr old children with me.

if you see us say Hi.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is a huge sandbar just south of the shell key where a lot of boaters hang out . That is not regulated like shell key is.

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
(are you taking about Beer Can Island) private mes me and I'll give you some areas to visit. I can't make it this weekend but maybe next time.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
no it is a huge sand bar in front of the end of fort Desoto park , it just appeared and since people can't drink or have pets on shell key they hang out on the sand bar next to the big channel.

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, I'm familiar with that Sand Bar, I wouldn't suggest he take his children to it. Unless he wants to see a group of Full Monti's as in the movie.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you are talking about beer can island this is a totally different one on our side of Egmont not one south of Egmont. this island is so close to fort Desoto beaches that people walk out to it

H2Oload

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Haha! We were in FL last month and stumbled on Passage Key. Ummm more than fenders blowing in the breeze. "Kids, can you guys dig the paddle out of the ski locker?"

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I understand yes the Sand bar NW of the the park. You're correct my mistake. VERY nice Sand Bar.

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They may want to launch across from Eckerd Collage by the skyway Bridge. I did that run Friday and it was a very long trip from Gandy boat ramp to the mouth of Tampa Bay

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
yes it is huge and it has a big cove and millions of sand dollars .

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So you know what I'm talking about, they get out and play volleyball together. Remember just N of Tampa we have two large clothing optional resorts.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Certainly not my thing, I don't even like people drinking out on the water let alone running around nude.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As for the maximo boat ramp It is a good ramp but they dumped 15.5 million gallons of untreated raw sewage there recently, may not smell so good. They have a big sewage treatment plant next to Eckerd college, I mean right next to it and across the canal from the boat ramp.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks. I am familiar with the other sandbar and passage key. We'll see how it goes but we enjoyed she'll last time. We don't drink. Just let the kids play in the water and on the beach. Not into crowds.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes sadly shell key is eroding rapidly and since they ruined the back of it by allowing the pass to fill in I don't know how long it will be a good place to go. I personally like the north side cove and the south side cove but the boats bring in tourists all day long . I raised my kids out on shell island, I have been going out there since 1972, we camped on the island for the first two weeks of June every summer. Now that isn't really a good thing since someone decided to cut all the Australian pine trees so now it's just tons of sand spurs and very little shade.

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I understand completely what you're saying.
I didn't know about the dumping, thanks for the heads up.

aflax24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think technically the sandbar you are all talking about is Bunce's Pass...south side of the pass between Desoto and Shell Island...its actually fairly family friendly and you have some place to run around, also its one of the few dog friendly places in the area.
Side note, I launched at Maximo on Sun and it smelled fine.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Probably be maximo now.. in case rain comes we can get off the water faster.

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have fun guys, I will be working on Windows and doors

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So did any one get out on the water near St Pete today before the storms rolled in? I did, I just made it home a few minutes ago, it looks ominous now . I waved at one Yamaha boat in front of shell island and messed with one a couple times, once by Maximo and then by the boat ramp at Fort Desoto.
Chances are if you see a SKI run directly into the mangroves at w o t and do a 180 turn inches from hitting the trees it is probably a good guess you know who it is and if that ski is doing 65 across the flats with the driver standing up driving no hands , well Yea you can probably guess who that is also.