• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering not right

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I posted a little while ago about not being able to steer hard to the right. The video below is the steering range I have. Not only does it seem not to steer right far enough it sticks at the furthest point.

Thoughts? I greased it up good but doesn't seem to help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21g41mc2g8wgael/2014-08-10 10.14.01.mov

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are the jets centered when the wheel is?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like the range of your steering is limited to me.

Is this a new problem? Or is the boat new to you and been like this since you've owned it? Have you checked behind the dash to see if there's anything binding up the steering system? Maybe there's something jammed in there, or possibly loose.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you checked behind the dash to see if there's anything binding up the steering system? Maybe there's something jammed in there, or possibly loose.
x2

I had this same thing happen to me once when [unnamed spouse] loaded that compartment full to the top of stuff and something got in the way of the steering arm. :rolleyes:

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm I will check that. That hopefully is it.

I have had the boat since new and just noticed it. Not sure when it started.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm I will check that. That hopefully is it.

I have had the boat since new and just noticed it. Not sure when it started.
Ok. Keep us posted. It could be something as simple as a loose cable back there.

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I checked and there is nothing obstructing the steering arm.

I will have to get it into the dealer.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Also check your nozzles when turned fully left and then fully right. We have had some guys report a pice of driftwood jammed in one side or the other. But I suspect your steering would be frozen if that were the case. I think I may have said something on the precious thread you posted, hit do get the wife at the wheel, and watch the nozzles as she turns them fully back and forth. Listen to them as they hit the stops...do they hit on both turns? Maybe you do have a restriction in there, the boat will turn a little slower to the right than the left it seems due to forces at play, but it should turn the same amount. Sounds like something is binding in the steering somewhere if your turn is more limited one way than the other.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Turning to the right PULLS on the inner cable Left PUSHES If the outer cable housing is loose where it attaches or one cable is broken internally you will have issues going to the right so check each nozzle and see if one cable is broken.