• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Steering Nozzle Slop

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I have my pumps apart and I am ordering parts, I have noticed quite a bit of slop in the nozzles... the gates are still nice and tight. With the collars (bushings) being stainless and the nozzle aluminum I would believe that the nozzles would wear before the collar. The aluminum hole is still perfectly round so I would not think they are worn or they would elongated? Is there any point in replacing the collars or is this normal?

Lower steering nozzle pivot bushing:
20140822_140931.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying there is a lot of play in your steering or play in the reverse gates?

A good bit of slop in the steering is normal, but how much? The service manual will tell you exactly what the tolerances are supposed to be. Have someone hold te wheel centered and move the nozzles. Most if the time, throttle and steering cables get still way before you have stretch. I suspect that if you have too much play, it is in the cable, not the ss bushings.

@Gym not the reverse gate, the two pivot points on the sides are tight... and not the steering cables or where the clevis attached to the nozzle, but where the nozzle attaches to the pump... that's where all the slop is. The photo is of the lower attachment point on the nozzle and the bushing that it pivots on. There is quite a bit of space between the bushing and the nozzle, and I thought it should be a little less than it is.

@txav8r the only reference to play in the service manual is to check for "excessive" play... they do not expound on the definition of excessive. I'm good with it, but I was on the fence with ordering new bushing collars, or looking for a substitution part at ace of bronze or nylon that had a little tighter tolerance.

All that said, you guys prompted me to check something else. I removed the bolt on the reverse gate and checked the bushing there (same part number). Comparing the two bushings and then the inserting the steering bushing in the reverse gate answered the question... the bushings are not worn. Either the nozzles are worn or the loose tolerance is by design to prevent any possibility of binding. At almost $250 each, I figure the nozzles are perfectly fine and in tolerance. ;)

You can see the difference in tolerance between the steering pivot point above and the reverse gate pivot point below.

20140822_161242.jpg

Last edited:
@cwoav8r. After rereading your post and looking closer at your pics I see what you're talking about. I would think Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC would be the definitive word on this. I know he has built in a certain amount of play in his design to prevent binding so I'm guessing Yamaha did the same. I will also check mine when I get back down to the boat.

I know my nozzle wiggle was loosey goosey on my 230, but if I had the wife hold the wheel centered and firm, it was better. It didn't seem to bother the steering at all. I think the 240 is pretty similar. The throttles are much better in the 240, being easier to move minimally and stay where you put them.

The throttles are much better in the 240, being easier to move minimally and stay where you put them.
If I'm not mistaken, the 240 is throttle-by-wire whereas the 230's are mechanical butterfly

True...but a cable controls the TBW in the engine compartment connected to the throttle levers. Not sure how much rigging is an issue, but I like it and I haven't heard many that do.

I know my nozzle wiggle was loosey goosey on my 230, but if I had the wife hold the wheel centered and firm, it was better. It didn't seem to bother the steering at all. I think the 240 is pretty similar. The throttles are much better in the 240, being easier to move minimally and stay where you put them.
That makes me feel a litter better Mel... I can't feel any slop in the steering when driving the boat. The biggest concern was that any slop at the nozzle would induce more wear on the nozzle itself. I am mentally preparing for a cable replacement for the gate, it's coming, just a matter of time.

It's FINE leave it alone, the water being forced through the nozzles will center them automatically, When the engines are off the nozzles will be loose .

Back