• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stereo 240

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the OEM stereo but would like to add some more bass. Can I get an amp that will boost all six speakers and a sub?

You sure can @Noko . Many of us have added improved sound to our boats. The stock speakers may not be up to the task either. I am not certain what speakers are stock on the AR, but on my '12 SX240, they are Seaworthy Speakers and they are paper. Not worthy at all. There are a good many options available to you. And they range from modest to impressive. I kept my OEM head unit too, but I changed all the speakers and added an amp and a sub. A modest upgrade in terms of power, but it was an upper end in terms of stereo quality. I did an all JL Audio sound system with 6 - JL MX650 coaxial speakers, the M10iB5 10" subwoofer, and the JL M700amp/5channel amp. The components were in the neighborhood of around $1300 with another couple hundred in wiring, fuses, and improvements to the install. You can save half on the speakers with less of a speaker, and less on the power, but it will be less in terms of durability, quality, and sound. Some say an open air environment isn't important to look to quality, and that is true to a point. You can get good musical reproduction at WOT with all the wind and engine noise...but your still competing with the wind and engine noise, so it isn't a theater atmosphere. If getting music at that level isn't important, then you could build less of a system and just not push it so much. But it is about as mild of a system that you can do, and still hear it at WOT pretty clearly. Then there are those that want to play clear music at wakeboard range that is loud and clear...but now your talking more serious money and those systems are anything but moderate. But your desire to boost bass and power the speakers can be accomplished and you don't have to go JL Audio. Polk Audio makes a very good replacement drop in speaker, the DB651, but don't look to hear the music clearly at WOT. Either will sound 100% better than your stock system when at anchor or at the sand bar...but neither will entertain the masses. Keep us posted on your upgrade and if you have anymore questions, ask away!

I wash down my interior every weekend and the speakers get wet with no ill effects yet. I have Polk mm651 speakers.

edit: I do not direct spray the speakers though.

I don't intentionally spray my speakers, but they get wet and if they were dirty, I would spray them lightly without worry...on JL speakers I would do this. On stock speakers forget it...they are PAPER!

But when I wash down my boat, I do it mostly by hand. I don't get a bunch of water in the boat by method.

I wouldn't spray them with anything @geiger41 , they will have a conformal coating on certain parts. If you have stock speakers, don't spray them! The surround is cheaper as well as the cone. Even stored indoors and covered, my stock speakers lasted less than 2 years...well, two of them failed.

Back